Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #106
ms_bates
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Exactly. There was a UM segment (the one about the female police sketch artist who was raped and she used her experience to help others) that featured two brothers that got abducted at gunpoint and were taken in a van and they jumped from the van at 70 mph. How hard would it have been for Amy to jump off the bike if she were in fear for her life?

To be fair, in the book, one biker told Sue Billig that bikers do abduct girls while on their motorcycles. He claimed they'd tie them up and hold them on the front of the motorcycle, while other gang members rode alongside. But it seems like it'd be pretty hard to do, and he could have been full of it.

Another theory was that perhaps Amy had gotten on a bike voluntarily, assuming it was an innocent lift, and things went wrong from there. Amy was noted for being very trusting, but I have to wonder if even the most trusting and naive young girl would accept a ride from a bunch of scary dudes in a motorcycle gang. We're not exactly talking about a handsome and charming Ted Bundy kinda guy, ya know?
ms_bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #107
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

I'm not so sure about this mute theory, also what about all these supposed opportunities there were for Amy to be taken back, I think that the bikers were just messing with the Billig family really.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #108
ontarioboi
Frequent Poster

why is the biker theory given soo much attention? For all we know, it could be someone else. Why should we trust someone like the guy depicted in the segment....He was after money, if the girl would be found then there goes his cashcow.........similarly, he said he owned her once, how come he never felt remorse then?

i think the incident at the bar was also planned. However, the biker got beat up because he probably was behind on debts or they felt he was a snitch, probably both.

there was also the cashier who saw a person that could have been amy buying canned veggie soups.....yuck to that... but we have to consider it could have been someone else. A lot of people come into and leave flordia and i doubt she was the only female eating veggie soups at the time..........
ontarioboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #109
scc1222
Forum Regular

IMO I think a biker did offer her a lift,she accepted,thinking it would be a short ride,and things went wrong from there.I think the bikers Amy's mom spoke to did know of her,and someone got scared and killed her after that.I just wonder if her mom hadn't done that,if things would have turned out differently.that's not the way to approach the situation.the bikers should have been quietly infiltrated to see if she was there.I realize mrs billing wasn't getting any help,still...
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #110
Cloud9 Lorraine
Forum Regular

Like others here, I find Henry Blair, "Hank", an eerie connection to this case. Besides how this sicko relentlessly and unconscionably harassed Susan for over two decades, it is very strange that Amy's diary mentioned a man named Hank. It seemed like they quickly cleared him of any involvement in the case other than his harassment of Susan, but somehow his emergence plagues me.

So many took advantage of this poor, desperate mother, sending her on wild goose chases all over the world. It sickens me. And it is so sad both parents died without ever finding Amy or at least knowing what happened to her.
Cloud9 Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #111
WishfulDreamer

I just finished reading Susan's book, co-authored with Greg Aunapu. I had tears in my eyes after finishing the last paragraph, a poem written by Amy. It was an amazing read and even though I know full well Amy has never been found, my hopes would rise every time Sue got a lead.

I love Unsolved Mysteries, so no bashing intended. But the segment left out so many things that should have been mentioned; not to mention, the bar fight and England thing weren't even mentioned in the book. Far more interesting leads were.

Henry Blair is a sick, sick individual and it was a bummer to read about how he only received a low sentence as well as very nice prison accommodations; I had to smile when I heard that another prisoner hit him. I don't know if he was necessarily involved, though that line in Amy's diary is puzzling. But speaking of Amy's diary, her poetry does not in the slightest suggest a girl who would run away, particularly on her way for a lunch date. Yes, I understand the book was co-authored by her mother, but Amy running off when about to pick up money for lunch when she always called no matter where she was off to seems unreal. Amy's poetry and words were jarring to me; it reminded me of myself, introspective and imaginative. She was two weeks from graduating high school and going to New York to see a friend, visit art galleries and try for drama school. I don't believe she ran off. Hitchhiking gone wrong could very well have been the culprit since almost everyone in Coconut Grove apparently did so.

I think the bikers may have been involved, simply because they knew things that had never been released to the public; certain scars on Amy's body, certain habits. But I believe, unfortunately, that someone got scared and probably did her in for fear of prosecution. The overdose at a party theory with the alligators and all that I do not believe; that theory was thrown out by another money-grubbing woman.

This book pulled at my heart; like the back cover says, we see the worst of humanity in it. Murderers, rapists, and the unspeakable cruelty of those who would taunt and extort a grieving mother with false leads and time-wasting red herrings. Yet, through it all Susan Billig herself remains a beacon for humanity; so altruistic, so beautiful, so kind, so brave- when offered chances to pursue some of these extortionists she wouldn't. She even kindly approached Blair's family and said she meant no malice by the trial, after nearly twenty years of harassment and sexually explicit phone calls. She saved a girl's life by pushing the ex-boyfriend who was attacking her away and advised a young woman not to hitchhike again, wanting to spare others from a fate such as Amy's. It was so sad to read about her heart attack, bypass surgery and how she and her husband were both diagnosed with lung cancer around the same time. Susan beat the odds and survived until she was 80, but lost her husband over a decade before. If this lady was still alive, I would pen her a long, heartfelt letter simply wanting to tell her what a wonderful person she was and how I hoped she would one day find answers. Tears welled up in my eyes when she finally marked Amy's name on a headstone and received some sense of closure after over twenty years. She was finally able to go on to some degree, though not completely, of course.

I highly recommend the book. It's fascinating, but very sad to read about the detriment on Billig family as well the intermittent poetry and optimism of Amy. Susan Billig and her husband were wonderful people who deserved to know the truth and have some peace in their lives. So the book ends with you feeling down that the mystery was never solved, yet I also felt some sense of uplifting in that there are such beautiful, courageous, and selfless people as the Billigs in the world. I hope that one day, some answers will come.
WishfulDreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #112
scc1222
Forum Regular

yes, the book was very sad.I was also saddened to learn that Janet Reno (yes,same one of recent political fame) could have done something to help but did not.
I'm also confused as to why Amy's camera and items were found on the opposite side of the hwy in which she would have been hitchhiking.very odd.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #113
dks64
Forum Regular

I definitely never thought she ran off, I think she was kidnapped and killed.
dks64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #114
UnsolvedMFanatic
Robert Stack's secret Wife
Frequent Poster

Default Lookie-loo

Ha! What in the world are the chances?!
Check out this woman,named Amy Billig (Dr.),and she looks identical to the Missing Amy Billig!
Ha! So odd! What a huge coincidence,which is all it is,but it's weird nonetheless.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwBw&dur=1380
Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #115
scc1222
Forum Regular

maybe it's true we all have a twin..lol...no i don't believe that,but I googled my name once and found a lady who looks so much like me that my family thought it was a pic of me! and I also found my name assoc. with a little girl that looks just like my daughter...truly weird!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #116
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsolvedMFanatic
Ha! What in the world are the chances?!
Check out this woman,named Amy Billig (Dr.),and she looks identical to the Missing Amy Billig! Ha! So odd! What a huge coincidence,which is all it is,but it's weird nonetheless.
They sure do look a lot alike. Wouldn't it be strange to actually resemble someone who shared your exact (and somewhat unusual) name? I wonder if the lady in that link has ever had someone tell her how much she looks like her Name Twin.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #117
Robert Stack, Jr.
Frequent Poster

Default Spoilers!!

Could one of the mods please put a spoiler alert on this thread? I have not read "Without a Trace" yet but I intend to, and this thread has a lot of goodies in it from the book.

Thanks
Robert Stack, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #118
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned
Banned!!

Isn't it true that Billig was killed the day or night she vanished?

I remember I saw a news piece on this and there was a deathbed confession from a biker.
Big3sCompanyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #119
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3sCompanyFan
Isn't it true that Billig was killed the day or night she vanished?
This hasn't been proven, but I believe she was killed either the day or shortly after she disappeared. I think the biker who contacted her mother about the whole "slave trade" thing was making everything up to try and get some sort of reward out of her family.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #120
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
This hasn't been proven, but I believe she was killed either the day or shortly after she disappeared. I think the biker who contacted her mother about the whole "slave trade" thing was making everything up to try and get some sort of reward out of her family.
But I remember they said he was on his death bed. What good is a reward if you're dead?
Big3sCompanyFan is offline   Reply With Quote