Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Schmo
Frequent Poster

Default Who remembers “The Debbie Reynolds Show”?

A one-season wonder supposedly canceled because Debbie Reynolds didn’t like tobacco companies advertising on the show. I’m not sure how well it did in the ratings.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SkVgD_F-5PQ
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
James28
Forum 3K Club Member

A successful show canceled because of its star not wanting cigarette companies advertising on it? Wow, it's no wonder why cigarette advertising on TV was banned soon after The Debbie Reynolds Show was cancelled.

"Stay Safe"? More like "Stay Sad".

#2020Hurts
James28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Schmo
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28 View Post
A successful show canceled because of its star not wanting cigarette companies advertising on it? Wow, it's no wonder why cigarette advertising on TV was banned soon after The Debbie Reynolds Show was cancelled.
I don’t know how successful it was. If it was in the Top Ten, the network may have been willing to work with Reynolds.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I remember the Debbie Reynold show which was shown around ?? 1968 and it starred Tom Bosley. Can't remember the set up. Was she married to Tom. Could be. I haven't seen the show since it first aired.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #5
Schmo
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup View Post
I remember the Debbie Reynold show which was shown around ?? 1968 and it starred Tom Bosley. Can't remember the set up. Was she married to Tom. Could be. I haven't seen the show since it first aired.
Don Chastain played the husband. Bosley played the husband’s boss.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Debbie_Reynolds_Show

Bosley talks about the show. However, there is a dispute over how many episodes were made. Wikipedia claims 26, but Bosley said 17.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSC6k8QpPdk
Old 04-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28 View Post
I find that a tad funny for the name Reynolds was a name of tobacco company TJ Reynolds. May she should have pushed for Reynolds Wrap to advertise
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #7
Duster76
Forum Regular

The show was an I Love Lucy wannabe. Debbie wanted to be a newspaper writer like her husband . She had her various schemes her Ethel in all this was her sister, who was married to Tom Bosley who of course was her Fred.

I actually liked the show, but it's easy to understand why it wasn't a hit.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #8
Schmo
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76 View Post
The show was an I Love Lucy wannabe. Debbie wanted to be a newspaper writer like her husband . She had her various schemes her Ethel in all this was her sister, who was married to Tom Bosley who of course was her Fred.

I actually liked the show, but it's easy to understand why it wasn't a hit.
Do you think if the show was a hit, the network would have found a sponsor favorable to Debbie?
Old 04-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #9
Duster76
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo View Post
Do you think if the show was a hit, the network would have found a sponsor favorable to Debbie?
The series ran during the 1969-70 TV season. In April of 1970 legislation was signed into law by President Nixon that banned cigarette advertising beginning January of 71, so effectively it would have been a nonissue for the 70-71 season had the series been renewed.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #10
Schmo
Frequent Poster

My guess is Debbie was trying to reinvent herself. The movie musical genre that made her famous had declined in popularity. And she was in her late 30s - too old to play fresh-faced girls next door. And her second husband was blowing her money on gambling and bad investments.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:22 PM   #11
Duster76
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo View Post
My guess is Debbie was trying to reinvent herself. The movie musical genre that made her famous had declined in popularity. And she was in her late 30s - too old to play fresh-faced girls next door. And her second husband was blowing her money on gambling and bad investments.
I agree, her movie career at this point was basically over. Big name movie stars had tried their hand in TV by the late 60's (Jimmy Stewart, Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby, Loretta Young, Barbara Stanwyck, Fred Mac Murray just to name a few) so the move made perfect sense.