Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #181
asmitty
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Jeanine Nicarico segment: They do a re-enactment from the time in the mid 80's where the Illinois police try to trick Alejandro Hernandez and his friend into revealing details. You can see a Missing poster for Jaycee Dugard.

1. It would be several years yet before Jaycee would be kidnapped.

2. She disappeared in California, so it's probably unlikely that an Illinois Police Department would have her missing poster up there.

On a very similar note, I always loved the scene in the Michaela Garecht segment when Michaela's friend is sitting with the sketch artist, and the sketch of the suspect is already hanging on the wall behind them. I know they did it as an interesting way to introduce the sketch and get the picture of the suspect in your mind, but the discontinuity always throws me a bit.
asmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #182
amandab1234
Forum Regular

I think it's more of a LOL than a WTF...

Woman: What are you shipping?
Man: Well... what does it say?
Woman: It says clothes.
Man: Yeah thats it... clothes..

Way to give yourself away ya goof!
amandab1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #183
RobinW

I was watching the 90-minute Alcatraz special not too long ago and they did a brief segment where they profiled a couple of wanted prison escapees. RS mentioned a guy named Carl Alfred Eder who was convicted of murdering a woman and her four children, and then said he escaped after "walking away from a minimum security work detail".

WTF?! Why would a guy who murdered a mother and four children be on a minimum security work detail?!

This is a pretty horrible case and I'm surprised UM never did a full segment on it. Sadly, Carl Alfred Eder has still never been found since escaping in 1974:
http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=55472
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #184
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
I was watching the 90-minute Alcatraz special not too long ago and they did a brief segment where they profiled a couple of wanted prison escapees. RS mentioned a guy named Carl Alfred Eder who was convicted of murdering a woman and her four children, and then said he escaped after "walking away from a minimum security work detail".

WTF?! Why would a guy who murdered a mother and four children be on a minimum security work detail?!

This is a pretty horrible case and I'm surprised UM never did a full segment on it. Sadly, Carl Alfred Eder has still never been found since escaping in 1974:
http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=55472
Right a la David Harry Fisher. What's worse, I think he only served eight years total. WHAT.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #185
Corkys-Place
Unsolved Mysteries Fan
Forum Regular

Apologies if this Case has already been mentioned on this thread and I can't even remember the names of the Victims. The story of the 3 Teenagers who had that Car accident in 1992. 2 of them died and the 3rd survived but doesn't remember anything. I think the Boy's body was found several months later - The whole thing was very suss. Anyway my "What the?" moment for this story was when they stopped by one of the parents house that night prior to accident. The father asked what their plans were and one of them answered "Just Drinking and Driving around". DRINKING and Driving around!! and the Father let them go! Worst parenting ever!
Corkys-Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #186
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkys-Place
Apologies if this Case has already been mentioned on this thread and I can't even remember the names of the Victims. The story of the 3 Teenagers who had that Car accident in 1992. 2 of them died and the 3rd survived but doesn't remember anything. I think the Boy's body was found several months later - The whole thing was very suss. Anyway my "What the?" moment for this story was when they stopped by one of the parents house that night prior to accident. The father asked what their plans were and one of them answered "Just Drinking and Driving around". DRINKING and Driving around!! and the Father let them go! Worst parenting ever!
Yeah, that was the Arnold Archambeau/Ruby Bruguier case. The father of Tracy, the third girl in the car, was watching their baby, and when they all couple showed up to pick the child up, his response was pretty much:

"You've been drinking. Why don't you let the baby stay here, and then drive home and come pick her up tomorrow?"

So he was obviously concerned about letting a baby get into a car with an intoxicated driver, but didn't seem to have any problems with his own daughter being in the car .
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #187
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt C
I still don't quite understand how that justifies a search warrant. I thought people had constitutional rights in the USA but I may be wrong on that if that is all that is required to obtain a search warrant.
I am a US citizen, but I believe that such behavior can warrant a search. And they do have the authority to open mail under suspicion. It was pretty obvious that he was hiding something when he didn't even know what was in the box he was shipping and it was on a border town where drug trafficking is huge.

On a side note, searching people because of suspicious/nervous behavior has saved lives. Here's a story I have heard numerous times, but I would have to go searching for any articles on it to find the particulars (I've forgotten which city it was, but I thought it was L.A.): Several years ago in the wake of 9/11, a man had a car full of explosives and was going to set them off in a big city. His nervous behavior alerted police at a state border checkpoint and they searched the car and of course stopped him. If they hadn't searched him, many people would have no doubt been killed. I believe in constitutional rights of course, but in the name of safety, there are times when I believe searches are quite justified.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #188
amandab1234
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
I am a US citizen, but I believe that such behavior can warrant a search. And they do have the authority to open mail under suspicion. It was pretty obvious that he was hiding something when he didn't even know what was in the box he was shipping and it was on a border town where drug trafficking is huge.

On a side note, searching people because of suspicious/nervous behavior has saved lives. Here's a story I have heard numerous times, but I would have to go searching for any articles on it to find the particulars (I've forgotten which city it was, but I thought it was L.A.): Several years ago in the wake of 9/11, a man had a car full of explosives and was going to set them off in a big city. His nervous behavior alerted police at a state border checkpoint and they searched the car and of course stopped him. If they hadn't searched him, many people would have no doubt been killed. I believe in constitutional rights of course, but in the name of safety, there are times when I believe searches are quite justified.

Yes I def agree. You always have to listen to your "gut instinct". Suspicious behavior usually means "guilty" behavior (thats what my dad told me as a kid) if that makes any sense!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #189
stackfan
Occasional Poster

There are a bunch of LOL moments, but for the first time I just watched the segment where the radio DJs made up an on-air confession to murder! OH MY GOD these guys were such bastards. The worst was that the DJs seemed so sincere in saying it wasn't a hoax.
stackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #190
amandab1234
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackfan
There are a bunch of LOL moments, but for the first time I just watched the segment where the radio DJs made up an on-air confession to murder! OH MY GOD these guys were such bastards. The worst was that the DJs seemed so sincere in saying it wasn't a hoax.
~ What makes it even worse is parents were calling in thinking that their missing daughter was the one who was killed. And if I'm not mistaken they got off with just a slap on the wrist!
Old 07-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #191
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt C
I still don't quite understand how that justifies a search warrant. I thought people had constitutional rights in the USA but I may be wrong on that if that is all that is required to obtain a search warrant.
We do, and that exchange with its accompanying circumstances are enough to justify a law enforcement search (which doesn't necessarily require a warrant).

See:

Illinois v. Gates
Terry v. Ohio

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #192
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandab1234
~ What makes it even worse is parents were calling in thinking that their missing daughter was the one who was killed. And if I'm not mistaken they got off with just a slap on the wrist!
They were taken off the air for ten days, then came back to work alng with a new DJ: the guy who faked the call during the hoax! I think I remember during the update RS said something along the lines of "the FCC ultimately decided to take no action."

I still think the Scott Rossiter segment was the most ludicrous bunch of circumstances I've ever seen in one case: police officer shot IN the parking lot of the police station and suspect is on the lam, sudden weird update with the suspect's remains being removed from some random field in the middle of nowhere, and then the police saying, "We'll probably never know what happened to him." Meaning, no one "will ever know" what happened to Scott Rossiter OR the suspect, as he never had a chance to be tried.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #193
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
They were taken off the air for ten days, then came back to work alng with a new DJ: the guy who faked the call during the hoax! I think I remember during the update RS said something along the lines of "the FCC ultimately decided to take no action."
And they're still on the air to this day. My friends listen to them and I can't stand it! I got a few to stop after I told them about the hoax.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #194
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I still think the Scott Rossiter segment was the most ludicrous bunch of circumstances I've ever seen in one case: police officer shot IN the parking lot of the police station and suspect is on the lam, sudden weird update with the suspect's remains being removed from some random field in the middle of nowhere, and then the police saying, "We'll probably never know what happened to him." Meaning, no one "will ever know" what happened to Scott Rossiter OR the suspect, as he never had a chance to be tried.
That was so scary and unexpected the first time. Every time after that it's STILL freaky.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #195
WishfulDreamer

Another one: In the Gus Hoffman segment, people let his mother know they saw bikers threaten him with chains...in the middle of CROWDED INTERSECTION. I know bikers are tough stuff especially in the 70s, but NO ONE called the police to report a kid who was obviously not a biker being threatened physically? I would have called from home later where no one would see or hear me reporting it.