Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

All Other TV Shows Photo Gallery / Sketch Comedy/Variety/Talk Shows/Late Night TV Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > All Other TV Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
MIKEPR
Frequent Poster

Default Is it Asking Too Much For Stations Or Networks To Show Old TV Shows Uncut?

Over the years I've read elsewhere and even here I've read about people unhappy with the editing of older TV shows mostly because of commercials.

What is there to lose with broadcasting them as they originally aired?

I can understand if it has to do with the cost of airing them as royalties still have to be paid but other than that it seems wrong.

I find it hard to watch The Charlie Brown specials knowing that probably too much footage is removed from them.

I know there are the DVD's but not everyone wishes to waste their money on them.
MIKEPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
LUNCH

It's not asking too much at all.Also think about this,when it comes to the cable channels,a lot of the older shows they are editing because of commercials were originally shown on free TV channels or in other words the big networks.With nothing anymore to stop it, what passes for most TV channels these days just show as many commercials as they want.It is not only wrong,it is criminal.And unfortunately they have been allowed to get away with it for quite some time now.
LUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Chocolate Moose

Agreed. I hate when I know the show is missing something.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
retroTVfan4ever

As far as I know, syndicated channels that show the repeats of ended/cancelled TV series of the past almost always trim a few minutes off of the shows so they can run more commercials. Maybe they do this because they need more advertising revenue to make profit and stay in business. I don't like it either, I don't like when shows are edited, but it is what it is, as I said the syndicated channels have been doing this for a long time and it's not likely to stop.

Buying DVD's is a great hobby, DVD's aren't always perfect, sometimes shows are also edited on DVD's but there also have been many shows released on DVD with the full uncut episodes. I have a pretty decent DVD collection with many of my favorite classic TV shows, a few of them have issues with edits in episodes but the majority have the complete uncut episodes.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:40 AM   #5
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran

I couldn't agree with this more. Just ridiculous. I'd go on but what's the point, right?

September 23, 1961-January 14, 2019

Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:04 PM   #6
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I somewhat wish they could keep the original commercials showing pleasant things to advertise versus today of so much medical or insurance ads. The buzzr game shows have the black and white ads for Toni hair color or wrist watches. Sometimes I do see a half hour show on buzzr go for 45minutes with old ads mixed in with new.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup View Post
I somewhat wish they could keep the original commercials showing pleasant things to advertise versus today of so much medical or insurance ads. The buzzr game shows have the black and white ads for Toni hair color or wrist watches. Sometimes I do see a half hour show on buzzr go for 45minutes with old ads mixed in with new.
Me too! I love those old commercials; they add to the vintage charm.

At least regarding the free stations, if they didn’t have advertisements they wouldn’t be free. For those viewers who want advertisement-free viewing, unfortunately they’ll have to pony up $ through subscription rates to make up for the lost revenue.

This being said though, I do find the CURRENT advertisements annoying, but accept them as part of the bad with the good; I just use that time to listen to a song or go to the barhroom.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote