Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #91
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium
I don't know if this one was already mentioned as I don't want to go through all the posts but I just found one.

Kim Carter on "Here's Lucy." She was spanked over the knee by Andy Griffith in the season six episode "Lucy & Andy Griffith."

I know that I never heard of that one.
um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:51 PM   #92
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by um
I know that I never heard of that one.
I didn't either but then I haven't seen too many episodes of this show. I have all the DVDS and was watching the bonus features on the last disc. It included syndication promos for the episodes. When the Andy Griffith episode promo came on, it showed the spanking in the actual promo. Wanting to see it play out, I then watched the episode.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #93
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

On 7th Heaven, Ruthie spanked Matt and one of Simon's friends spanked Lucy.
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #94
um
Forum Regular

It seems that that episode was meant to have Lucie Arnaz follow in her mom's footsteps in the respect that she gets at least one spanking in an episode like her mom used to get from Desi Arnaz even though both Lucie and Lucy were grown women
Old 11-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #95
um
Forum Regular

Also it might have already been mentioned but on Diffren't Strokes Willis once spanked Arnold.

There could be more to this discussion:
A majority of characters who got spanked were kids who got spanked by someone other than their mom or dad, such as a baby sitter , a teacher, a friend or coworker of the child's parent.
A spanking from an older sibling is unusual. I think it only happened on Diff'rent Strokes.

Regarding children and teens:
How many characters got a spanking from one of his or her parents?
What character got a spanking from a teacher?
What character got a spanking from a baby sitter?
What character got a spanking from a relative? (Of course I mentioned one already in this sole post).

Adults getting spankings:
Under what circumstances? Is it some kind of sexual foreplay, or usually? Why else would an adult spank another adult? Of course Desi spanking Lucy was iconic but it had a different meaning back then.

Do more men do the spanking and more women receive the spanking or vice versa?

Have there been a lot of scenes of grown men spanking other grown men and grown women spanking other grown women? (From some of the posts in this thread, the answer is yes to that last one), but also, under what circumstances?
Old 11-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #96
um
Forum Regular

Also it has occurred to me regarding The Brady Bunch (RIP Florence Henderson)
that Mike and Carol Brady never spanked their kids, definitely NOT Carol Brady.

Mike Brady was a modern day dad who talked to his kids , like Bill Bixby's character never spanked his son Eddie, except once.
There was an episode in which Cindy was turning into a chronic tattletale and told Mike Brady that Bobby had used Mom's lipstick to color his skateboard and Mike Brady just gently gave Bobby some slaps on the head. In another episode Bobby played a trick on Cindy and Mike Brady made Bobby apologize to her and then as Bobby turned to walk away after apologizing, Mike just gently pats Bobby's butt as "punishment." It is just like when Uncle Bill punished Jody because Jody wanted Uncle bill to show that he loves him
by spanking him, but Uncle Bill just gave Jody a gentle pat on the behind.

It seemed mainly unrealistic to me that a lot of child characters had such patient gentle parents.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #97
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
These characters weren't spanked but, got slapped by their Moms.

Lionel got slapped by Louise for mouthing off about George.
Gloria got slapped by Edith in part 2 of Edith's 50th Birthday episode.

Julie got slapped by her mom Ms Romano on One Day At A Time.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #98
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by um
Julie got slapped by her mom Ms Romano on One Day At A Time.
Ann Romano also slapped Alex, who at the time was the son of her boyfriend (eventually Alex ended up living with her after his dad died ).
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #99
catsrule
Forum Veteran

Jason spanked Mary Ellen on The Waltons.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #100
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
Jason spanked Mary Ellen on The Waltons.

I think I remember that ep.
My best recollection is that it was one of the earliest episodes of The Waltons and the youngest cast members were pre-teens. I never watched The Waltons much and never knew each character much but I know it was a large family and there were two youngest kids, a boy and girl and the girl was the ultimate youngest, and as all the brothers and sisters were sitting in a circle talking about what they want for Christmas one of the older girls, I think she was supposed to be in her later teen years, said in a cynical tone that there is no Santa so why is everyone talking about something so silly? And one of the older brothers sitting next to her in the circle who seemingly was also in his later teens but older than the cynical girl, just slapped her on the butt for talking that way in front of the younger kids, and told her not to spoil Christmas for everyone else.

However, what I best recall is that it was John Boy who did it.

You could be referring to a different episode
Old 12-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #101
KatieAnn
Forum Regular

Bonanza episode "Love Me Not." Ben spanks a woman who was given to him by an Indian tribe. She was a "white woman" raised by the tribe and she wasn't cooperating with Ben because she wanted to go back to the tribe.

Also the Bonanza episode "Woman of Fire." A guest at the house gets angry and is about to smash Adam's guitar, he stops her and she hits him around his waist area, and he spanks her.

It's disturbing to see what was acceptable on TV in the 60s.
KatieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #102
um
Forum Regular

Yes it is an irony. Not to take the discussion so far from its original topic, but back in the 70s there was a trend to get away from the violence and sexism and racism of the older TV shows and cartoons. After all, TV shows of 1960s such as Popeye depicted people getting run over by cars, falling from high places, or being caught between huge mechanical wheels and it was supposed to be funny, not to mention that there were depictions of dark-skinned people as having large lips and Jewish people as having long beards and long black coats who always try to sell you something worthless, etc.
The Little Rascals, Bugs Bunny, and other children's shows had such scenes in them too. Batman relied on a lot of violent fighting scenes.

The TV kids shows of the mid 70s such as Isis, and Captain Marvel had characters who saved people from dangerous situations and rarely if ever fought anyone. They just stopped guilty people from getting away from police.
But back then I heard comments of older people who say that in their day, the 1940s and 1950s, cartoons were "not violent" while more modern children's programming is, and also that TV is getting too sexually oriented.
There was an odd reasoning there but at the same time, TV in the 70s was getting more daring in its own way. All In The Family was a "ground breaking" TV show.

Nevertheless look at TV shows of the pre-1970s and yes there is a lot of violence. Back then it would have been considered just action scenes.

As far as violence toward women by way of spankings. It was common to depict it since un-likable women were presented as needing a spanking and it was "not as extreme" as getting punched like a man. Also it had to do with women being thought of like children to be put into their own place.
Of course spanking of children and teens was fairly common too.
Somehow it was depicted a lot in cowboy or Western TV shows and movies.
See both links below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLGOzH7yROk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYMySKpHuxk
Old 12-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #103
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by um
My best recollection is that it was one of the earliest episodes of The Waltons and the youngest cast members were pre-teens. I never watched The Waltons much and never knew each character much but I know it was a large family and there were two youngest kids, a boy and girl and the girl was the ultimate youngest, and as all the brothers and sisters were sitting in a circle talking about what they want for Christmas one of the older girls, I think she was supposed to be in her later teen years, said in a cynical tone that there is no Santa so why is everyone talking about something so silly? And one of the older brothers sitting next to her in the circle who seemingly was also in his later teens but older than the cynical girl, just slapped her on the butt for talking that way in front of the younger kids, and told her not to spoil Christmas for everyone else.

That scene you describe is from the original The Waltons movie from 1971: The Homecoming: A Christmas Story. And you're right, it was Mary Ellen being smacked on the butt by John Boy, though Mary Ellen was about 13, and John Boy about 15 or 16.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #104
catsrule
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by um

The episode I am referring to is the 2-parter where Martha was being evicted from her house so the government could build a highway. John and Olivia had just left the house and put Jason in charge. Jason told them to clean their rooms and get moving, then spanked Mary Ellen quickly.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #105
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
The episode I am referring to is the 2-parter where Martha was being evicted from her house so the government could build a highway. John and Olivia had just left the house and put Jason in charge. Jason told them to clean their rooms and get moving, then spanked Mary Ellen quickly.

Why did he spank her? Did he just slap her?