Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer
Dove Channel Brings Out Holiday Classics; CW Gets DC Universe Series with Sitcom Star

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
mike890
Frequent Poster

Default Susan Atkins release - Yes or no?

In case you dont know she is one of the members of the Manson family and was responsible for stabbing Sharon Tate and her unborn child to death. She has terminal brain cancer and apparently not very long to live. Officials at the California Institute of Women have requested that she be released to die in the care of her family. However due to public outcry the request has been denied and she will die in prison.
My question is simple. If it was up to you would you have allowed her out of jail so she could die at home? She is obviously going to die before the end of the year and is no threat to society.
Does she deserve mercy and the chance to die peacefully at home?

I will answer first. Although its hard not to feel bad for someone who is dying a very slow and painful death (one of her legs has been amputated), her crime is beyond horrible. She admitted that Sharon Tate begged for her and her baby's life and that she "didnt have any mercy for her". I think a person like Susan Atkins deserves as much mercy as she gave Sharon Tate. Absolutely none. I dont doubt the she is a different person today and is obviously no threat to society in her current state. However some crimes are so horrible that is simply no chance of redemption. I dont think she deserves one minute of freedom and should die where she belongs. I am glad that they stopped her release and feel its justified.

Opinions?
mike890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
crystaldawn

No, I don't think she should be released from prison. After all she's got to enjoy a long life after taking someone else's and Sharon Tate didn't get to spend the last moments of her life being comforted by her family. I don't have a problem with her getting maybe a little more frequent visits from her family if she only has a few days left but she deserves to die in prison.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Tap Dancer
Forum Regular

I don't care that she's sick, dying, and wanting to be with her family. She killed a woman and an unborn baby; she doesn't deserve any special treatment.
Tap Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
BarneyFife
Retired

No, let her die in prison. I agree with the posters above.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap Dancer
I don't care that she's sick, dying, and wanting to be with her family. She killed a woman and an unborn baby; she doesn't deserve any special treatment.
I agree. Besides, if Susan Atkins wanted to be with her family, she should have thought about it before she participated in the killing rampage. As far as I'm concerned, any sympathy for her amounts to sympathy for the devil.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Mommy2sets
Frequent Poster

Agree with previous posters. It would be unjust to show her mercy now especially since she told her victim she 'had no mercy' for her right before she killed her and her unborn child. She should die in prison as she was sentenced. Sharon Tate's family has fought to keep her in prison all these years, shown up at every parole hearing and they don't want her paroled now... it would be very unfair to them.
Mommy2sets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
user296686@aol.c
Forum Regular

I also agree with all of the posters. She should get as much mercy as she gave. She's fortunate she didn't die in an electric chair many years ago. The only mercy she should receive above that would have to come from God.

Pam

Pamela Collins
user296686@aol.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

May God forgive that b**ch, because I won't.

She can rot in prison and die a painful death because that is what she was sentenced to: LIFE. Oh wait, she is rotting and dying in prison. KARMA!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
crystaldawn

Her release was denied.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...JD6WwD91UIOE00
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
pinkturtle08
Frequent Poster

I know that her release was denied..... however, I have always felt that if the jury who sentenced her or the judge who sentenced her didnt feel that she was mentally unstable beyond help, they would have given her the option of parole, which they did. Apparently they felt that Charles Manson is way past sane, and he didnt get parole. I agree with them on Manson not getting parole. I think I would have released her on parole.... I mean, she is not going to live much longer, and its not like she would have time to make a life for herself to do things that the people she killed didnt get to do specifically, like buy a house or buy a car or something... she is going home to die. I would have definitely released her either on parole or to a hospital where she could have extended visitiations from her family. She may have killed other people, and done horrible things, but nobody in my opinion deserves to get cancer.

Now, if Charlie was up for parole.... I would definitely not release him... I saw an interview with him awhile ago and he is so unstable he makes you question your own sanity after listening to him.... I would make him stay right where he is and let his family come see him for 2 or 3 brief visits a day and thats all.....

Just my opinion.....
pinkturtle08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkturtle08
I know that her release was denied..... however, I have always felt that if the jury who sentenced her or the judge who sentenced her didnt feel that she was mentally unstable beyond help, they would have given her the option of parole, which they did. Apparently they felt that Charles Manson is way past sane, and he didnt get parole. I agree with them on Manson not getting parole. I think I would have released her on parole.... I mean, she is not going to live much longer, and its not like she would have time to make a life for herself to do things that the people she killed didnt get to do specifically, like buy a house or buy a car or something... she is going home to die. I would have definitely released her either on parole or to a hospital where she could have extended visitiations from her family. She may have killed other people, and done horrible things, but nobody in my opinion deserves to get cancer.

Now, if Charlie was up for parole.... I would definitely not release him... I saw an interview with him awhile ago and he is so unstable he makes you question your own sanity after listening to him.... I would make him stay right where he is and let his family come see him for 2 or 3 brief visits a day and thats all.....

Just my opinion.....
The "life with the possibility of parole" was the only option. They were sentenced to death until our state reversed all death row inmates sentences to LIFE with the possibility of parole. The jury and the judge in the case had nothing to do with that. It was a ruling by California for all death row inmates. Since we have the death penalty again, those who were on death row and then had it changed to LIFE, could not be put on death row again. That is why they have that option every two years of going to the parole board and asking for parole. We know they won't be released for good behavior. This crime was beyond heinous.
Ireneparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
pinkturtle08
Frequent Poster

Oh I didn't know that they originally got death.... For some reason I thought that Charles got life without parole and everyone else got life with parole......

I would still release her on parole though, since she is dying and the doctors have given her only a few months...... that wouldnt be enough time for her to rebuild or start this new and fantastic life for herself.... i mean, she has cancer and the end stages of cancer are pretty horrible.
pinkturtle08 is offline   Reply With Quote