Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #31
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMas493
Harvey:

I think it was Jim McKay who gave that report from the 1972 Olympics.

John

I think you're right

I always associate Jim McKay with "Wide World of Sports"
y2k3Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:49 AM   #32
lilhave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMas493
Harvey:

I think it was Jim McKay who gave that report from the 1972 Olympics.

John
Your right. Sorry, just wasn't thinking.

Harvey
lilhave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #33
T-Greg

Sports question. Does anyone remember what happened on November 8, 1970? .....I do....I was 10 years old and at the Saints vs Lions game at Tulane Stadium with my brothers and dad. The Lions had just scored a TD to take the lead with about 30 seconds left in regulation. About half of the crowd began to leave (including me). As we are walking back to the car, there is a loud roar coming from inside the stadium...what's going on?...a man on the street corner is trying to listen on his transistor radio (Gilligan Fanatic..look that up on Smithsonian's website, along with ice boxes)...and the announcer is being drowned out from the noise...well, we get back to the car and we learn that Tom Dempsey kicked a 63 yard field goal to win the game...Holy Moses!!...and I missed it..crap!. He broke a long-standing record. Since then, I believe he has been tied. Tom Dempsey still lives here. He coaches football at a local playgorund and runs a business. I run into him on occasion and he never tires of hearing all of the "This is where I was" stories that fans tell him..at least he doesn't run you away. He's always polite. He is a grandpa now.
T-Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:07 AM   #34
lilhave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Greg
Sports question. Does anyone remember what happened on November 8, 1970? .....I do....I was 10 years old and at the Saints vs Lions game at Tulane Stadium with my brothers and dad. The Lions had just scored a TD to take the lead with about 30 seconds left in regulation. About half of the crowd began to leave (including me). As we are walking back to the car, there is a loud roar coming from inside the stadium...what's going on?...a man on the street corner is trying to listen on his transistor radio (Gilligan Fanatic..look that up on Smithsonian's website, along with ice boxes)...and the announcer is being drowned out from the noise...well, we get back to the car and we learn that Tom Dempsey kicked a 63 yard field goal to win the game...Holy Moses!!...and I missed it..crap!. He broke a long-standing record. Since then, I believe he has been tied. Tom Dempsey still lives here. He coaches football at a local playgorund and runs a business. I run into him on occasion and he never tires of hearing all of the "This is where I was" stories that fans tell him..at least he doesn't run you away. He's always polite. He is a grandpa now.
Dempsey was a erratic kicker having a poor percentage. I think he is equally remembered for the special shoe he wore because he didn't have a foot. Some thought it was a advantage he held. He was one of last the non soccer style kickers, the last being Mosley of the Redskins. Now that man had strength in his leg. I remember when my Giants got Pete Gogliak the first of the soccer style booters At first it looked funny to see them approach the ball sideways.

Harvey
lilhave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:11 AM   #35
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:

Does that game exist?
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #36
T-Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
Does that game exist?
I'm not sure, but a local TV station used to play "The kick" annually. I know I recorded it, but I don't know where it might be.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #37
T-Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
Dempsey was a erratic kicker having a poor percentage. I think he is equally remembered for the special shoe he wore because he didn't have a foot. Some thought it was a advantage he held. He was one of last the non soccer style kickers, the last being Mosley of the Redskins. Now that man had strength in his leg. I remember when my Giants got Pete Gogliak the first of the soccer style booters At first it looked funny to see them approach the ball sideways.

Harvey
Yes. He had a birth defect that left with him half a right foot and a missing hand. There was a special shoe he used. It was Tom Landry who tried to get it banned..and the NFL shot him down.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:54 AM   #38
jie3
Banned
Banned!!

Just goes to show the difference in sport interests from country to country. We come from the same ancestors, speak the same language, and have a closer aliance than most countries in the world.

Yet I have read through all of this post, and aside from 'touch down' I have understood none of it. Over here, football is what you call soccer. Rugby is the closest thing we have to American Football, not sure what the difference between the two is, to my unknowing eyes they seem like the same sport, only in rugby you don't have pads or helmut

In saying that, we have 1 American football team called the Scottish Claymores, not sure if they ever play in the US, or if they're any good, but I think they've got a pretty big fan base over here.

J
jie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #39
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jie3
Just goes to show the difference in sport interests from country to country. We come from the same ancestors, speak the same language, and have a closer aliance than most countries in the world.

Yet I have read through all of this post, and aside from 'touch down' I have understood none of it. Over here, football is what you call soccer. Rugby is the closest thing we have to American Football, not sure what the difference between the two is, to my unknowing eyes they seem like the same sport, only in rugby you don't have pads or helmut

In saying that, we have 1 American football team called the Scottish Claymores, not sure if they ever play in the US, or if they're any good, but I think they've got a pretty big fan base over here.

J

J, no need to feel left out

you have the Premiership to follow and I must say after having the priviledge of catching a triple header every Saturday morning on the tube for the past three years my appreciation for English Football has gone up tremendously. It's no surprise that I root for jolly 'ol England at every major tournament.
I still think Rooney should have beat the crap out of Ronaldo for what he pulled at the World Cup this summer

I love the passion of your fans, (especially "The Hooligans" , I fancy myself an honorary member ), I love the way the sport is covered in your country, your stadiums are just as impressive as the one's over here and, you have most of the greatest players in the world playing in that league ... everything about that Premiership is Big Time Sports.

The only thing you need is a salary cap. Man U makes George Steinbrenner and the New York Yankees look cheap.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:09 AM   #40
T-Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jie3

J
J. I used to watch the British House of Commons on CSPAN, and I found that very entertaining....the closest thing on TV here would be the Jerry Springer Show I've watched rugby, and to me, it's as foreign as American football is to most Brits..or Scots...what is it called when the ball is on the ground and players from both teams are huddled together trying to push each other in the opposite direction? (at least that's what it looked like they were trying to do).
Old 10-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #41
jie3
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k3Joker
J, no need to feel left out

you have the Premiership to follow and I must say after having the privilege of catching a triple header every Saturday morning on the tube for the past three years my appreciation for English Football has gone up tremendously. It's no surprise that I root for jolly 'ol England at every major tournament.
I still think Rooney should have beat the crap out of Ronaldo for what he pulled at the World Cup this summer

I love the passion of your fans, (especially "The Hooligans" , I fancy myself an honorary member ), I love the way the sport is covered in your country, your stadiums are just as impressive as the one's over here and, you have most of the greatest players in the world playing in that league ... everything about that Premiership is Big Time Sports.

The only thing you need is a salary cap. Man U makes George Steinbrenner and the New York Yankees look cheap.
I've got say that caught me off guard, it's rare to find someone from your end with a good knowledge of UK football.

Yeah, we are passionate about it over here, and we have some great teams, but I think that for World class, you've got to look further afield, Juventus, Real Madrid, etc...for example. Now those are World Class teams.

A salary cap is definitely in order, it seems it's now more about business than the actual sport. I'd have to win the lottery before I could match the change in Rooney's back pocket.

I'm glad you take such an interest in the World Cup, but your preaching to the wrong chior with the England support, have you ever seen braveheart?

Na, just kiddin' it's not that bad, but there is definitely a long standing healthy rivalry between my Country (Scotland) and England when it comes to the World Cup. Almost to the point that we would both rather see the other team win.

As long as it's done in fun and no one gets hurt I don't mind.

J
Old 10-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #42
jie3
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
J. I used to watch the British House of Commons on CSPAN, and I found that very entertaining....the closest thing on TV here would be the Jerry Springer Show
Yeah, but I think there's more truth and less scandal on the Jerry Springer Show

Quote:
what is it called when the ball is on the ground and players from both teams are huddled together trying to push each other in the opposite direction? (at least that's what it looked like they were trying to do).
I think you mean the 'scrum'. Sort of like a variation of that 'hut hut' thing you guys do, I think

J
Old 10-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #43
jacktripper1
Forum Regular

Quote:
Jason Elam For the Denver Broncos tied the 63 yard record in 1998.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #44
T-Greg

The K.C. Chief's kicker kicked a 62 yarder this past Sunday to win the game.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:29 PM   #45
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

Quote:
The K.C. Chief's kicker kicked a 62 yarder this past Sunday to win the game.
That was Tampa's Kicker, Matt Bryant
The Chiefs kicker had a game winner also, but not that long.

Not bad there Nostradamus T-Greg, ... bringing up Tom Dempsey.

You should have played the lottery this weekend