Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2006, 03:24 AM   #16
KonfusionFTC
Cobra Kai Never Dies
Senior Member
 
KonfusionFTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 09, 2003
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,350
Send a message via ICQ to KonfusionFTC Send a message via AIM to KonfusionFTC Send a message via MSN to KonfusionFTC Send a message via Yahoo to KonfusionFTC
Default

First thing's first go get a dictionary and look up the word "TRADING"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
A Trader's List is more Appealing when it has everything on it that is not in the stores or online.

More appealing to who?


People that have retails usually want to trade for other retails. Therefore, the value is the same to them.

Retail sure is appealing to others that have/want to trade retails.


People that have crapy vhs tapes W.O.C. want to trade for others and find that stuff to be the same value

the ones of us that prefer to trade those "Retail" would find your list very unappealing.

Both = Trading Though




I am going to trade whatever and rather have the best quality. Some shows I want will not ever be released. Therefore, I have to deal with those crappy quality ones.


The same way you feel about retails. A lot of us feel about your vhs W.O.C.

But we are not making posts about it

you do not own any rights to the shows you trade.


I agree with what joker said my wallet is much more appealing when it is full. Lol

But

I got a woman/girlfriend and she costs me too much money already. So buying all the retails I want is not an option.
KonfusionFTC is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #17
lordsmurf
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 08, 2005
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
Mainly because they don't understand the purpose of Trading. Trading is to get things you CAN't get from the store or Online but like you said to some it's a big deal to make their list look longer for the Biggest TV show Collection Award that's handed out every year-lol
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

The only exception might by out-of-print, rare, discontinued, recalled, or otherwise difficult-to-find retail DVDs.

At very least, keep your retail stuff on a separate list.
lordsmurf is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 05:57 AM   #18
jie3
Banned
Banned!!
Senior Member
 
jie3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 13, 2005
Location: HOME OF THE BRAVE!
Posts: 1,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

The only exception might by out-of-print, rare, discontinued, recalled, or otherwise difficult-to-find retail DVDs.

At very least, keep your retail stuff on a separate list.
I'm a tv show collecter, regardless of it's origin. My list is my collection, and I'm not going to dismiss it just because it isn't rare.

With the amount sites out there now selling custom dvd sets, most of our lists would be halved if we only listed rare stuff.

Heck, you can now pick up the complete Sgt Bilko set for less than the first season of my name is earl.

J
jie3 is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #19
down2ozz
Member
Frequent Poster
 
down2ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 05, 2005
Location: cincinnati, ohio
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonfusionFTC
First thing's first go get a dictionary and look up the word "TRADING"




More appealing to who?


People that have retails usually want to trade for other retails. Therefore, the value is the same to them.

Retail sure is appealing to others that have/want to trade retails.


People that have crapy vhs tapes W.O.C. want to trade for others and find that stuff to be the same value

the ones of us that prefer to trade those "Retail" would find your list very unappealing.

Both = Trading Though




I am going to trade whatever and rather have the best quality. Some shows I want will not ever be released. Therefore, I have to deal with those crappy quality ones.


The same way you feel about retails. A lot of us feel about your vhs W.O.C.

But we are not making posts about it

you do not own any rights to the shows you trade.


I agree with what joker said my wallet is much more appealing when it is full. Lol

But

I got a woman/girlfriend and she costs me too much money already. So buying all the retails I want is not an option.
this post pretty much sums it up. i have blockbuster online getting 8 out at a time but i will never be able to rent or be able to afford to buy every single movie or tv show that i want.
down2ozz is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 07:54 AM   #20
lordsmurf
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 08, 2005
Posts: 156
Default

I think there's a big difference between trading unavailable content, and basically screwing over studios that released what you asked for. Sure, a lot of people are going to cheat here and there, be it trading or renting/copying it yourself. But for this collecting hobby to be overtaken by people that are just being cheapskates is a sad state of affairs, indeed.

You know, on sale, including first-week releases, you can often pick up box sets for as little as $3 per DVD. You cannot really trade or rent for much less than that, and you're (1) getting a perfect quality item, complete with packaging, and (2) supporting studios so that they release more.

By trading releases, you're only hurting yourselves. There is less incentive for future releases if something does not sell.
lordsmurf is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #21
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonfusionFTC
First thing's first go get a dictionary and look up the word "TRADING"




More appealing to who?


People that have retails usually want to trade for other retails. Therefore, the value is the same to them.

Retail sure is appealing to others that have/want to trade retails.


People that have crapy vhs tapes W.O.C. want to trade for others and find that stuff to be the same value

the ones of us that prefer to trade those "Retail" would find your list very unappealing.

Both = Trading Though




I am going to trade whatever and rather have the best quality. Some shows I want will not ever be released. Therefore, I have to deal with those crappy quality ones.


The same way you feel about retails. A lot of us feel about your vhs W.O.C.

But we are not making posts about it

you do not own any rights to the shows you trade.


I agree with what joker said my wallet is much more appealing when it is full. Lol

But

I got a woman/girlfriend and she costs me too much money already. So buying all the retails I want is not an option.


It just makes trading more fun to look for stuff that you can;t find online or in the stores. Listing everything on my site that's also in Best buy kind of takes the FUN out of trading.
TVFactFan is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #22
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!
Senior Member
 
Lamont's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 28, 2005
Location: Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
Posts: 5,075
Default

i will say this

as a rule, i generally do not trade for retail either
BUT sometimes i understand the desire of people who want to

FOR INSTANCE some sets are way overpriced and way huge

like the LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRARIE set, which is like 50+ discs
and each season retails for $40, so the set runs like $400 to buy

OR someone could trade for it for the cost of postage and 50 blanks

so sometimes its a question of dollars and cents
__________________

I have not been trading for some time now, so please do not ask---- sorry, i cannot help you!
Lamont is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 08:36 AM   #23
T-Greg
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 17, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,677
Default

This question has come up several times. Most of the people that list retail sets stated that they are there because their list doubles as their inventory. The retail sets are not necessarily for trade. That said, anyone who lists them should keep them on a page seperate from everything else, clearly stated as Not for Trade- Inventory Only. That way, it eliminates any confusion and will help keep you out of trouble if the wrong person sees your list.
T-Greg is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #24
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad
Senior Member
 
gilligan fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 05, 2001
Location: down by the Lagoon
Posts: 9,837
Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic
Default

I don't get it either, if it is a show I truly want I will buy it myself, I will get the box with it too. I don't buy retail DVD's that I can watch on TV either. That seems pointless too. For the most part, the TV retail I buy are shows that don't air in my area anymore. I want to get the All in the Family DVD's, but why spend 20 dollars when TV Land shows it. I got the news program ABC Scope a few weeks ago, I was looking for that for a long long time, maybe 4 or 5 years. I was a lot happier getting that in than if I got a copy of something I can buy in the stores. Almost everything I trade there is really only one version of.
__________________
Matt


Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
gilligan fanatic is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #25
digitalmonkey
just getting started
Forum Regular
 
digitalmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 14, 2006
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
I have seen some traders who maintain a list of the retail DVD movies in their collection. In other words, they list discs that I could just pickup at Blockbuster or Netflix. My question is, why? Obviously, there is a legal stumbling block here and it is relevant too, but let's look at it from a practical standpoint. Let's say I want a copy of "The Patriot". Why would I want to risk setting up a trade with someone who might rip me off, or send me a non-working garbage DVDR when it's a lot easier to rent or buy the film myself.

I can understand listing retail discs if they are rare or otherwise unobtainable. People lucky enough to have the first release of "Little Shop of Horrors", for instance, know what I'm talking about. In my view, the whole purpose of trading is to acquire things that are not or will not be issued on DVD. In fact, I typically delete titles from my list if I find they are commercially available.

I suppose it looks good to some to have a large tradelist, and perhaps retail DVDs provide padding. I honestly don't know. I think the old addage of quality over quantity applies here. If someone sends me a list of titles that looks like an inventory sheet for my local Blockbuster I probably won't be too impressed.

My two cents.


Your argument about possibly getting ripped off is ridiculous as it imples that trading non-retail items reduces or eliminates the possibility of receiving junk. Some people prefer retail episodes over home recorded. If you think recording something off the television gives you any more rights regarding the distribution of the item or reduces any so-called legal stumbling blocks then you are delusional.
__________________
Top of Want List

Toupie and Binoo
NHL games
What's New Mr. Magoo?
Abbott and Costello Animated Series
Tales of the Wizard of Oz
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em


http://www.freewebs.com/digital_monkey/
digitalmonkey is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #26
digitalmonkey
just getting started
Forum Regular
 
digitalmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 14, 2006
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
Retail DVD's are just unattractive, sorry Joker

Why are you apologizing for your opinion? I think crappy VHS quality episodes are unattractive. I won't apologize though-lol.
digitalmonkey is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #27
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey
Why are you apologizing for your opinion? I think crappy VHS quality episodes are unattractive. I won't apologize though-lol.

Yeah and everything on DVD is just Magical.
TVFactFan is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #28
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!
Senior Member
 
Lamont's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 28, 2005
Location: Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
Posts: 5,075
Default

ok folks--- for gods sake, PLEASE let us not get into the 157th rerun of the dvd vs vhs debate??? please?? just this once???? pretty please????
Lamont is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #29
digitalmonkey
just getting started
Forum Regular
 
digitalmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 14, 2006
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 347
Default

Don't worry Lamont, there will be no DVD vs VHS debate as Solomon failed reading comprehension. It's the only explanation because I don't believe I claimed that everything on DVD was good, or "magical" as he put it-lol.
digitalmonkey is offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #30
lilhave
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2004
Location: N.Y.C.
Posts: 2,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey
Don't worry Lamont, there will be no DVD vs VHS debate as Solomon failed reading comprehension. It's the only explanation because I don't believe I claimed that everything on DVD was good, or "magical" as he put it-lol.
Smart move. You don't want to be caught up in Solomon's rhetoric. You can only trade retail if you have a duplicator or a burner on your computer. Without it you are stuck with the wonders of vhs. No option, no choice, that's the way it is. So to say "I don't trade retail dvds" and you and have no equipment to do so, makes very littles ense.

Harvey
lilhave is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.