Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:24 AM   #16
KonfusionFTC
Cobra Kai Never Dies

Send a message via ICQ to KonfusionFTC Send a message via AIM to KonfusionFTC Send a message via MSN to KonfusionFTC Send a message via Yahoo to KonfusionFTC

First thing's first go get a dictionary and look up the word "TRADING"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
A Trader's List is more Appealing when it has everything on it that is not in the stores or online.

More appealing to who?

People that have retails usually want to trade for other retails. Therefore, the value is the same to them.

Retail sure is appealing to others that have/want to trade retails.

People that have crapy vhs tapes W.O.C. want to trade for others and find that stuff to be the same value

the ones of us that prefer to trade those "Retail" would find your list very unappealing.

Both = Trading Though

I am going to trade whatever and rather have the best quality. Some shows I want will not ever be released. Therefore, I have to deal with those crappy quality ones.

The same way you feel about retails. A lot of us feel about your vhs W.O.C.

But we are not making posts about it

you do not own any rights to the shows you trade.

I agree with what joker said my wallet is much more appealing when it is full. Lol

But

I got a woman/girlfriend and she costs me too much money already. So buying all the retails I want is not an option.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #17
lordsmurf
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Mainly because they don't understand the purpose of Trading. Trading is to get things you CAN't get from the store or Online but like you said to some it's a big deal to make their list look longer for the Biggest TV show Collection Award that's handed out every year-lol
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

The only exception might by out-of-print, rare, discontinued, recalled, or otherwise difficult-to-find retail DVDs.

At very least, keep your retail stuff on a separate list.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:57 AM   #18
jie3
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

The only exception might by out-of-print, rare, discontinued, recalled, or otherwise difficult-to-find retail DVDs.

At very least, keep your retail stuff on a separate list.
I'm a tv show collecter, regardless of it's origin. My list is my collection, and I'm not going to dismiss it just because it isn't rare.

With the amount sites out there now selling custom dvd sets, most of our lists would be halved if we only listed rare stuff.

Heck, you can now pick up the complete Sgt Bilko set for less than the first season of my name is earl.

J
Old 10-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #19
down2ozz
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonfusionFTC

More appealing to who?

People that have retails usually want to trade for other retails. Therefore, the value is the same to them.

People that have crapy vhs tapes W.O.C. want to trade for others and find that stuff to be the same value

the ones of us that prefer to trade those "Retail" would find your list very unappealing.

Both = Trading Though

I am going to trade whatever and rather have the best quality. Some shows I want will not ever be released. Therefore, I have to deal with those crappy quality ones.

I agree with what joker said my wallet is much more appealing when it is full. Lol

But

I got a woman/girlfriend and she costs me too much money already. So buying all the retails I want is not an option.
this post pretty much sums it up. i have blockbuster online getting 8 out at a time but i will never be able to rent or be able to afford to buy every single movie or tv show that i want.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:54 AM   #20
lordsmurf
Frequent Poster

I think there's a big difference between trading unavailable content, and basically screwing over studios that released what you asked for. Sure, a lot of people are going to cheat here and there, be it trading or renting/copying it yourself. But for this collecting hobby to be overtaken by people that are just being cheapskates is a sad state of affairs, indeed.

You know, on sale, including first-week releases, you can often pick up box sets for as little as $3 per DVD. You cannot really trade or rent for much less than that, and you're (1) getting a perfect quality item, complete with packaging, and (2) supporting studios so that they release more.

By trading releases, you're only hurting yourselves. There is less incentive for future releases if something does not sell.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #21
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonfusionFTC

More appealing to who?

Both = Trading Though

But

It just makes trading more fun to look for stuff that you can;t find online or in the stores. Listing everything on my site that's also in Best buy kind of takes the FUN out of trading.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #22
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

i will say this

as a rule, i generally do not trade for retail either
BUT sometimes i understand the desire of people who want to

FOR INSTANCE some sets are way overpriced and way huge

like the LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRARIE set, which is like 50+ discs
and each season retails for $40, so the set runs like $400 to buy

OR someone could trade for it for the cost of postage and 50 blanks

so sometimes its a question of dollars and cents

I have not been trading for some time now, so please do not ask---- sorry, i cannot help you!
Old 10-13-2006, 08:36 AM   #23
T-Greg

This question has come up several times. Most of the people that list retail sets stated that they are there because their list doubles as their inventory. The retail sets are not necessarily for trade. That said, anyone who lists them should keep them on a page seperate from everything else, clearly stated as Not for Trade- Inventory Only. That way, it eliminates any confusion and will help keep you out of trouble if the wrong person sees your list.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #24
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

I don't get it either, if it is a show I truly want I will buy it myself, I will get the box with it too. I don't buy retail DVD's that I can watch on TV either. That seems pointless too. For the most part, the TV retail I buy are shows that don't air in my area anymore. I want to get the All in the Family DVD's, but why spend 20 dollars when TV Land shows it. I got the news program ABC Scope a few weeks ago, I was looking for that for a long long time, maybe 4 or 5 years. I was a lot happier getting that in than if I got a copy of something I can buy in the stores. Almost everything I trade there is really only one version of.

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
Old 10-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #25
digitalmonkey
just getting started
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
I have seen some traders who maintain a list of the retail DVD movies in their collection. In other words, they list discs that I could just pickup at Blockbuster or Netflix. My question is, why? Obviously, there is a legal stumbling block here and it is relevant too, but let's look at it from a practical standpoint. Let's say I want a copy of "The Patriot". Why would I want to risk setting up a trade with someone who might rip me off, or send me a non-working garbage DVDR when it's a lot easier to rent or buy the film myself.

I can understand listing retail discs if they are rare or otherwise unobtainable. People lucky enough to have the first release of "Little Shop of Horrors", for instance, know what I'm talking about. In my view, the whole purpose of trading is to acquire things that are not or will not be issued on DVD. In fact, I typically delete titles from my list if I find they are commercially available.

I suppose it looks good to some to have a large tradelist, and perhaps retail DVDs provide padding. I honestly don't know. I think the old addage of quality over quantity applies here. If someone sends me a list of titles that looks like an inventory sheet for my local Blockbuster I probably won't be too impressed.

My two cents.

Your argument about possibly getting ripped off is ridiculous as it imples that trading non-retail items reduces or eliminates the possibility of receiving junk. Some people prefer retail episodes over home recorded. If you think recording something off the television gives you any more rights regarding the distribution of the item or reduces any so-called legal stumbling blocks then you are delusional.

Toupie and Binoo
NHL games
What's New Mr. Magoo?
Abbott and Costello Animated Series
Tales of the Wizard of Oz
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em

http://www.freewebs.com/digital_monkey/
Old 10-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #26
digitalmonkey
just getting started
Forum Regular

Quote:
Retail DVD's are just unattractive, sorry Joker

Why are you apologizing for your opinion? I think crappy VHS quality episodes are unattractive. I won't apologize though-lol.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #27
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey
Why are you apologizing for your opinion? I think crappy VHS quality episodes are unattractive. I won't apologize though-lol.

Yeah and everything on DVD is just Magical.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #28
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

ok folks--- for gods sake, PLEASE let us not get into the 157th rerun of the dvd vs vhs debate??? please?? just this once???? pretty please????
Old 10-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #29
digitalmonkey
just getting started
Forum Regular

Don't worry Lamont, there will be no DVD vs VHS debate as Solomon failed reading comprehension. It's the only explanation because I don't believe I claimed that everything on DVD was good, or "magical" as he put it-lol.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #30
lilhave

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey
Don't worry Lamont, there will be no DVD vs VHS debate as Solomon failed reading comprehension. It's the only explanation because I don't believe I claimed that everything on DVD was good, or "magical" as he put it-lol.
Smart move. You don't want to be caught up in Solomon's rhetoric. You can only trade retail if you have a duplicator or a burner on your computer. Without it you are stuck with the wonders of vhs. No option, no choice, that's the way it is. So to say "I don't trade retail dvds" and you and have no equipment to do so, makes very littles ense.

Harvey
Closed Thread