Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #16
T-Greg

I guess it could have been worse, but at least she's OK. That's what really matters. The Federal disaster declaration will open up federal money for grants and low interest loans. Tell Kim I said hi and that I'm thinking about her..
T-Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #17
BrownEyedGirl523
Dominic Zamprogna Fan
Frequent Poster

That's awful. I'm glad to here she's physically okay, but it's terrible to hear about the damage to her home. You're in my thoughts and prayers, Kim.
BrownEyedGirl523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #18
Lex Luthor
I'm bringing Lexy back

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
I have been on the phone with Kim and it's really quite bad. Her basement has 3 feet, yes three feet of water. Tile and Carpet she just purchased has been completely destroyed, the house is a disaster. She thought she was covered and then found out that she didn't have flood insurance, just covered for water seepage. Sometimes there is a rainbow at the end of the clouds.4 homes in her area were completely destroyed, there were three deaths, so the Federal government declared it a disaster and the hope is she will now get reimbursed.

With all of this she is still worried about the board and prays we all get along. I took a nap at the nursing home so I'm in good spirits and Lamont made nice, nice to his sheep so he should be quiet.

Harvey
Send her my best Harv

It's a horrible shame but as long as she has her health and her pets are safe, everything else is secondary. I look forward to her bouncing back, we all know she will

Genevieve: "I underestimated you, Lex."
Lex: "Well, that’s a common mistake."

Lionel Luthor: "We don't need to play games, son."
Lex Luthor: "Dad, games are all we got."
Lex Luthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #19
lilhave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Greg
I guess it could have been worse, but at least she's OK. That's what really matters. The Federal disaster declaration will open up federal money for grants and low interest loans. Tell Kim I said hi and that I'm thinking about her..
Besides grants and loans don't the Federal government pay disaster relief.

Harvey
lilhave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #20
T-Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
Besides grants and loans don't the Federal government pay disaster relief.

Harvey
There will likely be other programs set up for emergency relief, such as through FEMA. FEMA is usually the first to provide aid, but they were criticized badly along the gulf south after Katrina for the speed at which they operated. Maybe they have gotten their act together. There will be aid available though. In Louisiana there is "The Road Home" program which provides grants up to $150K for people to rebuild. What you receive depends on lots as factors such as insurance you had. This is all Federal money, and the program is administered through the state
Old 09-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #21
JOEY1727
did i do that?
Forum Regular

Default sorry to hear..

hope every thing is ok..let us know if we can help''

joey1727@juno.com

CLICK HERE FOR MY LIST
JOEY1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:41 PM   #22
savageamusement
Cutest Couch Potato

Default Questions

Checking in for the day-

I need SOME kind of normalcy.

Its really really really depressing. The words "Structural security" were mentioned today, due to the size and ap of the concrete-
everything has been pumped out- but amazingly water still keeps ocming in-
From the ground, through the teras in the concrete, and the areas in the wlal that gave away.

Several have emailed me- thank you- and if anyone has any personal experience and wants to lend it- I am all ears.

I have 2 things I want to ask- 1

The bottom shelf of about 6 bookcases got wet
and the bottom 3 of about 3 others.

What do yo udo in cases of tapes- air dry? etc.

I had already made up and had ready, just not addressed a package to harvey and lamont, those went out today.
I am aware I had 2 pending trades, in case that email got lost- I hpoe it gets read here.

My second issue, is machines.

Do yo utoss a machine out that got wet? Is there any exception.

I have been circling the web, while I have time- and things are a little overwhelming so I have 2 people coming t help me tear out and throw things out- because as some know I have medical issues, and wet/mold creating surfaces is realy really detrimental to my health.

So while I am salvaging- if anyone has any infomration on machines-

Speakers-
Dvd player, VCR
One PC, it was completely submerged- can the hardrive /mother board be taken out for memory sake or do lose all of that

And then the earlier- tapes- are they gone fo rgood and so on.

It ins't my largest concern, but yeah I am a die hard trader/collector and I want to tenativley know what I am out, and or what is just garbage.

So any advice is appreciated.

Thank you to all who have emailed me, sent e-cards and support.
Its true I am pretyt upset and really really distraught, and I might be able to get some government help- sorting through that-

I keep telling myself I am lucky I was safe, and the house held up under the water pressure.
Its good to log on here and have a thread of support- makes it more bearable- thank you.
savageamusement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:32 PM   #23
combsisthebest
Forum Regular

That is crazy Kim! I'm praying for you and sending good thoughts your way. I don't email you for about two days and I come back to this! What a shock. I'm so sorry and I know you had just mentioned how you put in that floor in your basement. However, I'm glad that you are safe and have your health. God bless you!
Turn it Around
Open the Windows of Heaven
Pour out a Blessing We Cannot Contain
Let it rain!
combsisthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #24
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget

I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope and pray your situation will improve soon.
gidgetgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #25
padre
Cookie baker
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageamusement
One PC, it was completely submerged- can the hardrive /mother board be taken out for memory sake or do lose all of that
Kim, the motherboard may be salvageable, you just need to dry it very well. Same thing goes for the memory chips. The best thing you can do is dry them out, clean them up with a cloth (no cleaning fluid) and try them out.

The hard drive may be another matter all together. They are 'sealed' but not completely, so some water may sneak into the HDA and corrupt the environment. There's no real good way to test it other than turning it on. Let them dry for a while (or use a hairdryer at a good distance), and connect them up....just get ready with the circuit breaker or use a power strip.
padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:36 PM   #26
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Sorry to hear about your situation Kim, I hope everything turns out OK. Keep us updated on how things are going

Solomon
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #27
T-Greg

Kim. I'll tell you a few things from first hand experience. Believe it or not, most of the VHS tapes will work once they dry out. Dry the outside case as much as you can with a towel. Let them sit upright on a towel or paper towels as long as you can. Put them in a place where they won't get knocked over. Check the towel periodlcally since it may need to be changed out for a dry one. About drywall/sheetrock. Whatever got wet needs to come out. Drywall comes in 4' x 8' sheets, so you need to cut it out at the 4 foot line. That way, it will fit right in upon replacement, then taping, floating and texturing. There are lots of self-help guides online that will help you when it is time to do that. Email me if I can help you in anyway. I've been through this, so I know a few things about what you can do. Take care.

P.S. Let me know if you sent that last package out yet, so I can be on the lookout for it. I'm going to hold your stuff until you are ready for it. Just let me know.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:10 AM   #28
T-Greg

A couple more things I thought of. The quicker the sheetrock comes out the better, because it will start to mold, which causes problems of its own. Make sure all of your studs (whatever got wet) are treated with a biocide and completely dry before you put in new sheetrock. Some people use bleach on their studs, but that is not sufficient.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #29
savageamusement
Cutest Couch Potato

Default another day..

So far- the worst of this is trying to get everything OUT

the flooring, the carpet everything is SO heavy. And smells SO bad.

Thanks for the suggestions and slight areas of hope - here and in my emails

Normally I am pretty optimisitc, but the one thing with flooding is its so cold and so wet, and just so...dismil.

I feel slightly better, Flood Insurance wouldn't have covered this either.
Because they are deeming the house "unstructurally sound"
isn't that nice.

So even if I had had flood insurance, my neighbors Do and got a form letter stating that at least 2 other people in a range of 4 bocks have to file.
And from what I hear, in this area 3 peopel filing for lfood insurance in 4 block radius is pretty slim.
And, how would you know?

So somehing seems rather fishy with that- but I have bigger issues to deal with.

I have friends coming in, and over all tonight, this weekend to get everything OUT
and then comes the real tragedy- throwing literalyl thsouands of dollars away.

So keep the advice coming-

T-Greg you said Biocide?
is that the name of it, can I get it at a hardware store-
and aside form wood- can I put it on all surfaces- as I am concerened about my health.
(and no your package didn't go out yet) will try to get right on that
savageamusement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:22 PM   #30
T-Greg

Kim. Biocide is what is in it. The stuff I used is called BoraCare. It comes in a one gallon bottle and you mix it with warm water and spray it on your studs. It's expensive. It's about $125 for a gallon, but you can do about a whole house with it when you dilute it..somthing like 8 parts water to 1 of BoraCare. It stops mold, draws moisture from the wood, kills termites, etc. See the link:

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/...-boracare1.htm

I'm sending you an email with my cell number if you need to call me about anything.