Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #31
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default ha ha ha ha

i can agree with that

i too have some discs just called CELEBRITY COMMERCIALS
and BEER COMMERCIALS

now if tvresearcher would do a tape/disc of JUST COMMERCIALS with washed up actors
THAT id like to have!

that way i could pop it in and watch them all at once

I have not been trading for some time now, so please do not ask---- sorry, i cannot help you!
Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #32
combsisthebest
Forum Regular

I very much enjoy the older commercials (particularly older promos). It takes me back a few years, and for me they're fun to see. Given a choice between poor quality with commercials and great quality without commercials, I'd go with the great quality without commercials.
Turn it Around
Open the Windows of Heaven
Pour out a Blessing We Cannot Contain
Let it rain!
combsisthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #33
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by combsisthebest
I very much enjoy the older commercials (particularly older promos). It takes me back a few years, and for me they're fun to see. Given a choice between poor quality with commercials and great quality without commercials, I'd go with the great quality without commercials.

I still haven;t found that Military KFC commercial from 1987 or 1988. I did see that old Mcdonald's commercial from 1988 with the half moon and the _"It's Mac Tonight".
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #34
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular

WITHOUT commercials. No question. I already have enough shows with old commercials. Admittedly, it's kind of fun to see a young Meredith Baxter doing her Breck commercial. I even have the one where they compare a car to then football player, OJ Simpson (washing out mouth.) But I can only take about two minutes worth of commercials every ten years and I'm CERTAINLY not going to spend my time watching them, looking for now famous actors. Nor do I find old commercials that interesting. And watching a douche commercial is as annoying to me now as it was 15 years ago.

...Metallica
RedWhine56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #35
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

I want my shows without commercials, generally speaking. But I've started to collect promos and such as extras to add on to the discs. But there is this part of me that would like to go through all my old Beta tapes and collect the full history of Wendy's commercials with Dave Thomas. Like I have the time for that, but I find the idea amusing. I do like seeing people "before they were stars," and I like seeing some of the old commercial campaigns. It's part of our cultural language.

Even local ones - heck, when I was growing up outside Philly, there was a clothing store with the crappiest commercials ever - this slick-back weaselly looking jerk who'd hawk Krass Brothers Men's Store - like anyone would ever want to admit their suit came from a place called "Krass." But they were funny as hell in a supremely stupid way, and I wouldn't mind seeing one or two of them again.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:38 PM   #36
jie3
Banned
Banned!!

Default Consumerism!

In my view, commercials exist to sell us something we don't want (why would they have to coax us if we did). They represent the consumerism monster that forces us to buy our kids the latest trainers (sneakers) in order that they don't get bullied at school, or that tries to justify charging unjustifiable prices for dvds.

As traders, we consciously go out of our way to fight back, we decide what will and won't be released on dvd, and give it to each other in the fairest way possible, by trading equally (no cash involved!!)

So it seems totally alien to me that anyone in this game would want a little bit of that monster in their anti-consumerism hobby. Personally, I hate seeing my favorite tv stars doing commercials, it's like they've sold part of their reputation for the sake of a quick buck

But hey, different strokes for different folks, If people like commercials for nostalgic reasons, then fair enough. I don't mind getting sets with ad breaks, just as long as my fastforward button works.

J
jie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #37
ajm1972
Forum Regular

A few responses....if it wasnt for commercials you wouldnt be able to see your favorite shows of today or yesteryear unless your fans of Dr. Who or Electric Company, then of course ads dont matter. Commercial advertising sponsors the shows we watch.

People have asked me to edit ads out before, I REFUSE, I dont have time to do it and more power to you if you have time to do that. But some of us take the time to watch the ads and some of us take the time to FF over the ads.

To me it isnt about seeing LaWanda Page in a Church's Chicken commercial that matters, its seeing a Sanford & Son with the old NBC commercials and promos that matters...well at least to me it does. That is like being in a Mr. Peabody and Sherman Wayback machine and getting to relive the show as it originally aired, why do I want to watch a show with annoying graphics flashed on the screen about the next lame show coming up or having the closing credits split so I can hear an announcer say who got shot on the 10:00 news or see the closing credits sped up or a show edited or compressed for time issues so yet MORE COMMERCIALS can be shoved in our faces??

Sorry I dont want cable or syndicated versions of shows because those versions annoy me for the reasons I state. I cant imagine what it's like for a person who worked on a tv show years ago and is proud of what they did, but they cant even show someone they worked on a show unless they pause the closing credits and even then its hard because the screen has been split or something.

I've personally compiled network promos for many different years onto DVD, alot have came off of my old tv shows from u-matic and beta tapes I have. Some of these can be viewed on the TV Party site and in some cases CBS and ABC Television networks has actually paid me to send them footage of stuff like their old network promos which they no longer have. Trust me having network contacts and sources is a great thing and to your benefit because the networks will send you things you want in return, that is what helped build my collection.

I agree alot of the old commercials are as boring as heck to watch, some get repeated over and over again too. But what was cool back in the 60's into early 80's you would essentially only have 2 commercials following a theme song/opening credit break, then 2 to 3 commercials, network promo, station ID for the first 15 minute break, then a couple more before the closing credits. That means you would roughly have 6 commercials in an entire 30 minute program!!!

These days you might have 6 during just one commercial break and then no wonder why we all hate the commercials of today!!

The old network promos, not the commercials are what I am most interested in, because every year it was always the late Ernie Anderson the voice of ABC telling us what was coming up next or the network promo campaigns were different each year too.

I read Lamont's comments he has no interest in commercials, I have no interest in collecting sets of shows, to each is own. But I notice on your rare news items you state they have original ads. I look at alot of the footage that is listed and think back to how I went about acquiring those newscasts, special news events, historic news footage, etc. which cost me alot of work, money and trade bait to get them out of the network archives. I see alot of people enjoy those things, I'm very fortunate to have acquired that stuff, I mean how many people can say they have the newscast from the day they were born (from that era!) which I do because I personally went and got it.

Oh by the way the LBJ State funeral is coming soon for your information. I have a TON of things listed on your want list too but you and others wouldnt want it because it has those annoying commercials and promos, but that is why the fast forward button was invented right!?

Aj
ajm1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #38
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm1972
A few responses....if it wasnt for commercials you wouldnt be able to see your favorite shows of today or yesteryear unless your fans of Dr. Who or Electric Company, then of course ads dont matter. Commercial advertising sponsors the shows we watch.

People have asked me to edit ads out before, I REFUSE, I dont have time to do it and more power to you if you have time to do that. But some of us take the time to watch the ads and some of us take the time to FF over the ads.

To me it isnt about seeing LaWanda Page in a Church's Chicken commercial that matters, its seeing a Sanford & Son with the old NBC commercials and promos that matters...well at least to me it does. That is like being in a Mr. Peabody and Sherman Wayback machine and getting to relive the show as it originally aired, why do I want to watch a show with annoying graphics flashed on the screen about the next lame show coming up or having the closing credits split so I can hear an announcer say who got shot on the 10:00 news or see the closing credits sped up or a show edited or compressed for time issues so yet MORE COMMERCIALS can be shoved in our faces??

Sorry I dont want cable or syndicated versions of shows because those versions annoy me for the reasons I state. I cant imagine what it's like for a person who worked on a tv show years ago and is proud of what they did, but they cant even show someone they worked on a show unless they pause the closing credits and even then its hard because the screen has been split or something.

I've personally compiled network promos for many different years onto DVD, alot have came off of my old tv shows from u-matic and beta tapes I have. Some of these can be viewed on the TV Party site and in some cases CBS and ABC Television networks has actually paid me to send them footage of stuff like their old network promos which they no longer have. Trust me having network contacts and sources is a great thing and to your benefit because the networks will send you things you want in return, that is what helped build my collection.

I agree alot of the old commercials are as boring as heck to watch, some get repeated over and over again too. But what was cool back in the 60's into early 80's you would essentially only have 2 commercials following a theme song/opening credit break, then 2 to 3 commercials, network promo, station ID for the first 15 minute break, then a couple more before the closing credits. That means you would roughly have 6 commercials in an entire 30 minute program!!!

These days you might have 6 during just one commercial break and then no wonder why we all hate the commercials of today!!

The old network promos, not the commercials are what I am most interested in, because every year it was always the late Ernie Anderson the voice of ABC telling us what was coming up next or the network promo campaigns were different each year too.

I read Lamont's comments he has no interest in commercials, I have no interest in collecting sets of shows, to each is own. But I notice on your rare news items you state they have original ads. I look at alot of the footage that is listed and think back to how I went about acquiring those newscasts, special news events, historic news footage, etc. which cost me alot of work, money and trade bait to get them out of the network archives. I see alot of people enjoy those things, I'm very fortunate to have acquired that stuff, I mean how many people can say they have the newscast from the day they were born (from that era!) which I do because I personally went and got it.

Oh by the way the LBJ State funeral is coming soon for your information. I have a TON of things listed on your want list too but you and others wouldnt want it because it has those annoying commercials and promos, but that is why the fast forward button was invented right!?

Aj

AJ i need that Military KFC commercial from 1988, Help Me Please. I can still hear the theme-"Do you Love chicken, YES SIR"

lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #39
ajm1972
Forum Regular

Solomon,

Is this a commercial from your youth your looking for, I kind of remember this ad but to be honest I dont have much from 1988 unless its some sporting event I taped off the air (i.e. NBA Finals), I think the only thing I might have tv show's from 1988 are last season Magnum PI's with commercials.

I fondly remember the Bobby Darin-like moon guy who did the McDonald's "Its Mac Tonight", I think McDonalds got sued over that ad and of course they got nailed by Krofft Productions over the McDonaldland characters who YOU NEVER SEE ANYMORE on television! Dont you miss Grimace, Hamburglar and Mayor McCheese?

I remember a few years ago saying I wonder if Burger King will ever bring the Burger King back....oh.....sorry I asked.

I'll work on getting Park Place....

Aj
Old 08-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #40
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular

FOS.

Mwah!
RedWhine56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #41
lilhave

Gee, I thought I did good today. Picked up season 2 of Sgt. Preston in 10.0 quality but I would trade it in a heartbeat for the good Col. doing some stupid ass commercial for chicken. Were they pushing regular, or extra crisp?. To just think, that 60 second spot may be available. Now that's what you call very rare.

Is one for Popeye as rare?

Harvey who is plucking away.
lilhave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #42
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default for the record

i have a bunch of stuff that has commercials in it
BUT i just dont go looking for stuff that has the commercials

anyone who has stuff on my want list ill take with or without commercials
im not anti-commercials
just do not understand the strong desire to see them again
Old 08-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #43
ajm1972
Forum Regular

I dont get how the one's who dont like commercials like to make fun of the one's who do like commercials.

Aj
Old 08-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #44
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont
i have a bunch of stuff that has commercials in it
BUT i just dont go looking for stuff that has the commercials

anyone who has stuff on my want list ill take with or without commercials
im not anti-commercials
just do not understand the strong desire to see them again
whoops, I know something I sent you has the commercials, I can't remember what it was though. I am preety sure it is the GI Late Show Reunion.

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
gilligan fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #45
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm1972
I dont get how the one's who dont like commercials like to make fun of the one's who do like commercials.

Aj
im not making fun of anyone for what they trade

WHAT I WAS SAYING was that tvresearcher had posted a few statements that i didnt understand

1. prefering BAD quality with commercials over GREAT quality without? dont get it

2. i didnt get why it was so much fun and so cool, to be able to post on the happy days board that u found an old commercial with scott baio? and i still dont

if someone honestly enjoys watching commercials, then to each their own
i just ALWAYS prefer the best quality i can get, with or without

and i cannot understand why someone would prefer the bad quality