Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:03 PM   #121
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont
NO that would not be how it works, the guy would get the 1 ep of Gunsmoke he needed and the other guy would get the 1 ep of the Tonight Show he needed!!! ONLY assuming that both of those 2 HAPPENED to tape the other-- And BOTH happened to want the other show-- then YES both people would do a 1 episode trade---- BUT after that
NOONE wants 1 episode of GUNSMOKE, when people like me and loren and others have the COMPLETE set of all 20 years of GUNSMOKE

so most traders try to collect and trade for stuff that more than 1 person will want--- get real, what are the odds that ANYONE else will post seeking that EXACT same episode of GUNSMOKE again? very slim

i hate to keep bickering, but it makes no sense, 99% of traders do NOT want to do 1 episode trades--- in fact-- u r the ONLY trader i know who wants to do that---- noone else

the ONLY time most people do is to complete a set, or just to see a show for themselves out of curiousity (and yes i have several like that on my list) but overall,its a big waste of everyones time

Lamont let's say that newbie recorded Gunsmoke from TV Land, he may email that trader who wanted it and see something on his list that's really RARE and then he could go from there and EXPAND!!!!!! That's what I did
Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 PM   #122
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Location: Canada, watching the grooviest gang of fuzz who ever wore a badge.

Quote:
let's say that newbie recorded Gunsmoke from TV Land, he may email that trader who wanted it and see something on his list that's really RARE and then he could go from there and EXPAND!!!!!!
You just don't get it. Most people are not interested in building a collection one episode at a time, they prefer to do it one whole, complete series, at a time. Your example, while plausible, is unlikely to occur and, more to the point, it's completely irrelevant and far removed from the reality of collecting dvds in 2006.

Truthfully Researcher, I'm more like you than most people here as I often collect a series one episode at a time because the shows I want are rare and no one else has built a dvd set of them yet. But at least I understand the concept of trading complete series and realize that that's how the majority of people do it. Why do you have such a hard time coming to terms with it?

Unofficial Mod Squad Home Page: www.chezgrae.com/modsquad/
Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #123
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default ?????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
Lamont let's say that newbie recorded Gunsmoke from TV Land, he may email that trader who wanted it and see something on his list that's really RARE and then he could go from there and EXPAND!!!!!! That's what I did
ok lets see if Billy Trades Johnny for 1 episode of Gunsmoke, then Johnny Trades Mikey for 1 episode of Mork and Mindy and so on.......

i guess that you're right, if Johnny keeps up his trades like this, 1 episode at a time, in a year or 2 he might end up with 30 or 40 episodes of random stuff, and then STILL have nothing that 99% of people want

I understand that YOU like to trade for stuff like that, and u often will only want a single episode

BUT THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF TRADERS do NOT want to trade like that and will NOT do so

so when u start out trading, the goal is TO GET STUFF THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY want-- and by people, i mean the MAJORITY of people, NOT just 1 person one time

we all love u tvresearcher and u add stuff to some of the boards, but u r simply wrong on this one, no other way to put it and if u post another 1000 times u will STILL be wrong

do u notice that so far NONE of the KNOWN traders (not counting you buddies from other parts) NONE of the KNOWN TRADERS has seconded your way of starting off?

sometimes its better to just say, MAYBE i was wrong?

I have not been trading for some time now, so please do not ask---- sorry, i cannot help you!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #124
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygrae
You just don't get it. Most people are not interested in building a collection one episode at a time, they prefer to do it one whole, complete series, at a time. Your example, while plausible, is unlikely to occur and, more to the point, it's completely irrelevant and far removed from the reality of collecting dvds in 2006.

Truthfully Researcher, I'm more like you than most people here as I often collect a series one episode at a time because the shows I want are rare and no one else has built a dvd set of them yet. But at least I understand the concept of trading complete series and realize that that's how the majority of people do it. Why do you have such a hard time coming to terms with it?

Yeah that's how a started, One ep at a Time and in 2 years SHABOOM!!!-lol So I guess it's all about getting ONE rarirty that lots of traders want. I guess I was lucky.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #125
savageamusement
Cutest Couch Potato

Default Sigh

Ther is no wrong or right in this case Lamont I have to disgaree.
There is however minority and majority

The majority of peopel on this site are 34.
that is the majority age.
Some younger, some older
majority is 34. By calculating the ages of the most active and dividing by the mass.

SO the majority of people are probably looking for shows within the range of recrded shows
some less recorded defiantely, but with so amny stations so many syndications so many dvd sets, pleaces like columbia house and so on
the MAJORITY of things people want they can get

And those that are rare, yes they settle for low quality or one or two episodes
but the majority are looking for full sets- becuase they can in fact be found.

That doens't mean someone is wrong for looking for one or two.
or posting they have one or two of an item
But it does mean the MAJORITY are going to scoff at it, as a waste of time.

And that is basically waht this thread is stating is that they don't have the patience, don't have the need, don't have the desire to do things this way.

So in all this retorting, your circling a bush of indiffrence.

Agree to disagree- because no one is going to see the others point on this it seems

TvResearcher you have the right to look for things one episode at a time, if yo wish.
Yo can have the Holy Grail of rare comericals-
Or the DVD sleeve that touched Milton Berles coat tails

And maybe one person will drool
But most likely based ont he age group and this majorities opinion expressed, they will not-

A more specialized group
or even specialied forum might serve that purpose more than repeating your point over and over.

To avoid channel surfing Wipeouts!
Old 06-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #126
lilhave

Quote:
Yeah that's how a started, One ep at a Time and in 2 years SHABOOM!!!-lol So I guess it's all about getting ONE rarirty that lots of traders want. I guess I was lucky.
So the newbie, if he takes your advice and gets lucky as you say"shaboom", he only has to wait two years to get a collection, and if he isn't so lucky maybe four years. Maybe w
you should tell him, your way takes two to four years. Anyone agree Solomon's way is the way to go.

Harvey
Old 06-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #127
lilhave

Quote:
I stand by that a newbie should record these shows

The Today Show
The View
Tonight Show
So the bit about copy everything was bullcrap.

Harvey
Old 06-20-2006, 09:38 PM   #128
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Location: Canada, watching the grooviest gang of fuzz who ever wore a badge.

I just went to Solomon's site. Counting only episodes of tv series and specials and Tonight Shows (but not news, sporting events or anything he doesn't list because it's too rare) he has about 250 episodes total. A lot of them are 1/2 hour shows. A newbie who gets, oh say, Lamont's 30 disc Hawaii Five-0 set would have approximately 1.5 to 2 times the amount of tradeable tv time that Researcher does, and then expand from there. One trade with that newly acquired set and in a month's time a newbie could easily have 3-4 times as much. I know, Researcher can claim quality (or bad quality, but rare, as the case may be) over quantity, but that doesn't mean anything to a newbie who is looking for series A, B, C, D and E.

Does his method work? Yes, I guess. At least it worked for him. Is it an efficient method to build a collection and one worth recommending to newbies, most of whom are looking for several complete series as evidenced by want lists we see? Absolutely not.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:19 PM   #129
Lex Luthor
I'm bringing Lexy back

Wow I did not realize roasting a newbie for begging would stir this kind of mess.

Now if I had realized that it would draw out a Brain Damaged TV Researcher (or would that be a TV Researcher with Brain Damage? potatoe, potato) I would have done this much sooner.

Damage you disappoint me you show you are cleaver enough to fix a poll but not smart enough to know when you picked the wrong fight. And even then you show the stubborness to not back down but can only throw petty insults and drivel. At least make it worth the read

Genevieve: "I underestimated you, Lex."
Lex: "Well, that’s a common mistake."

Lionel Luthor: "We don't need to play games, son."
Lex Luthor: "Dad, games are all we got."
Old 06-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #130
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default message to people on this board--- GET A LIFE!

ok, well i guess that applies to Lamont too

BUT it seems like some people take this board and trading WAYYYYYY to seriously

this is NOT real life folks, and its reallllll silly for people, members or moderators to get all worked up and upset and furious over the silly stuff that goes on here

if people have such empty shells of lives that they have to cuss one another out b/c so and so disagrees about what we should tape, then its time to move on and get out of moms basement, get a date and get with real life!

I know we all have opinions, but this is way silly

OK the guy was new and wanted advice--- weve all been there and some of us got good advice, and some got bad advice-----

tvresearcher, who knowing him, im sure he was giving his HONEST opinion about what was worth taping--- the majority of the traders here did NOT agree and spoke up---- NOW the mature thing to do would have been to end it there, BUT instead we get a 1000 page thread that ends up with moderators acting inappropriate, members getting angry, bad language, personal name calling and people mad!

i just dont get it? maybe my life aint that empty

and the funny thing is, that Lamont here, is always known as the Fireman b/c i put out these fires?

The majority of the board do not have interests in things like news, local sports, entertainment shows, morning shows, judge shows, soaps etc etc

there are a few people that do, so everyone can use their judgement about what to tape and not to tape

if someone wants to gamble on taping THE VIEW or THE TODAY SHOW, go for it--- i think its a waste of time, but maybe someday, someone will want it

but enough allready

and move on
Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #131
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

This Board is for Entertainment purposes only. No serious members need apply.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #132
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoondvds
Wow I did not realize roasting a newbie for begging would stir this kind of mess.

Now if I had realized that it would draw out a Brain Damaged TV Researcher (or would that be a TV Researcher with Brain Damage? potatoe, potato) I would have done this much sooner.

Damage you disappoint me you show you are cleaver enough to fix a poll but not smart enough to know when you picked the wrong fight. And even then you show the stubborness to not back down but can only throw petty insults and drivel. At least make it worth the read
It wasn't me, but if you feel better thinking it was, suit yourself. Sorry, next time I come on by, I'll have an animal act and flaming hoops as well as a long list of jokes. I hope that entertains you.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 06-20-2006, 11:12 PM   #133
savageamusement
Cutest Couch Potato

Default :P

I'll see if Tj can squeeze some show girls in and some trapeeze artists for next time.

But for now, I think enough has been said ----I am sure this is keeping some people up reading the excitement, and we have to be careful of just how much excitement lilhave gets for the day...
And I need my beauty sleep.

Closed Thread