Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #61
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default PS

I also think that, while TvResearcher was TRYING to give helpful advice--- the advice was not so hot---

It is true that there ARE other trading places, BUT since the guy posted on THIS ONE looking advice on the TRADING POST, about how to get started TRADING in the TRADING POST--- then the advice given should be helpful to him HERE, not some other board that might exist elsewhere

a few facts

1. noone EVER posts looking for last nights CBS NEWS or Judge Joe Brown, or Entertainment Tonight and VERY VERY RARELY posts looking for THE TODAY SHOW, TONIGHT SHOW etc etc etc---
there is just no market for those things AT ALL! and if you taped 500 hours of such stuff, u MIGHT one day have someone ask you for 1 hour of it, so you would have wasted weeks of your life on nothing

2. the ONLY news footage that i EVER see any interest in are the HUGE STORIES of the past--- such as the JFK assassination, the Space Shuttle Blowing up, death of the Pope, old presidential elections, state funerals, etc etc etc--- OTHER THAN THAT, noone cares and noone wants it

3. I learned long ago, that if u want to trade YOU HAVE TO HAVE STUFF people ACTUALLY WANT--- so if someone wants to get started, the need to seek out rare stuff, maybe spend some $, maybe even buy a few sets, and maybe they can get lucky and catch a rare show on a local channel

4. EQUIPMENT is a must, if you want to trade DVDS u have to be able to duplicate and copy them, with a duplicater or at the VERY LEAST a dvd burner drive on a computer, otherwise whats the point

5. VHS trading is nearly dead, there are a few vhs traders out there, but they are a dying breed, and you have to record in REAL TIME-- a 2 hour tape takes 2 hours to copy and the quality degrades with every generation--- a 2 hour dvd takes 8 minutes to copy and quality remains Unchanged

I don't know how we got so far off track and it became a TVRESEARCHER pro and con thread, but thats not the point, the point is, if someone gives advice, it should hopefully be useful advice, and id hate to see this new guy wasting his time and taping junk like the evening news, soaps, and entertainment tonight for nothing---- UNLESS you are just wanting to trade with Solomon!

I have not been trading for some time now, so please do not ask---- sorry, i cannot help you!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #62
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont
I also think that, while TvResearcher was TRYING to give helpful advice--- the advice was not so hot---

It is true that there ARE other trading places, BUT since the guy posted on THIS ONE looking advice on the TRADING POST, about how to get started TRADING in the TRADING POST--- then the advice given should be helpful to him HERE, not some other board that might exist elsewhere

a few facts

1. noone EVER posts looking for last nights CBS NEWS or Judge Joe Brown, or Entertainment Tonight and VERY VERY RARELY posts looking for THE TODAY SHOW, TONIGHT SHOW etc etc etc---
there is just no market for those things AT ALL! and if you taped 500 hours of such stuff, u MIGHT one day have someone ask you for 1 hour of it, so you would have wasted weeks of your life on nothing

2. the ONLY news footage that i EVER see any interest in are the HUGE STORIES of the past--- such as the JFK assassination, the Space Shuttle Blowing up, death of the Pope, old presidential elections, state funerals, etc etc etc--- OTHER THAN THAT, noone cares and noone wants it

3. I learned long ago, that if u want to trade YOU HAVE TO HAVE STUFF people ACTUALLY WANT--- so if someone wants to get started, the need to seek out rare stuff, maybe spend some $, maybe even buy a few sets, and maybe they can get lucky and catch a rare show on a local channel

4. EQUIPMENT is a must, if you want to trade DVDS u have to be able to duplicate and copy them, with a duplicater or at the VERY LEAST a dvd burner drive on a computer, otherwise whats the point

5. VHS trading is nearly dead, there are a few vhs traders out there, but they are a dying breed, and you have to record in REAL TIME-- a 2 hour tape takes 2 hours to copy and the quality degrades with every generation--- a 2 hour dvd takes 8 minutes to copy and quality remains Unchanged

I don't know how we got so far off track and it became a TVRESEARCHER pro and con thread, but thats not the point, the point is, if someone gives advice, it should hopefully be useful advice, and id hate to see this new guy wasting his time and taping junk like the evening news, soaps, and entertainment tonight for nothing---- UNLESS you are just wanting to trade with Solomon!

But see buying RARE items maybe very expensive so it's just good to record certain things on TV like for example-Star Dates, and then someone who has a LARGE collection, like you, would be very interested in that Star Dates and then they can pick a rare show from you like the JACKSONS, and then there maybe some other traders out there with LARGE collections who don;t have the JACKSONS and then that may be another opportunity for that New Trader to expand his collection. It only took one show that expand my collection, everyone was so interested in the ABC broadcast of Mork and Mindy from 1978 and that's all it took and then well u know the rest-lol
Old 06-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #63
lilhave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
But see buying RARE items maybe very expensive so it's just good to record certain things on TV like for example-Star Dates, and then someone who has a LARGE collection, like you, would be very interested in that Star Dates and then they can pick a rare show from you like the JACKSONS, and then there maybe some other traders out there with LARGE collections who don;t have the JACKSONS and then that may be another opportunity for that New Trader to expand his collection. It only took one show that expand my collection, everyone was so interested in the ABC broadcast of Mork and Mindy from 1978 and that's all it took and then well u know the rest-lol
Guess there are two ways of doing it. Look to trade one episode at a time or go for complete or close to complete series as possible. That Mork and Mindy dvd your talking of, if you traded it 45 times you still only got 45 eps in return. I guess if you start young and have 50 years to kiil, you can build a nice collection. Just curious, I never looked at your list, how many full series do you have?

Harvey
Old 06-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #64
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
Guess there are two ways of doing it. Look to trade one episode at a time or go for complete or close to complete series as possible. That Mork and Mindy dvd your talking of, if you traded it 45 times you still only got 45 eps in return. I guess if you start young and have 50 years to kiil, you can build a nice collection. Just curious, I never looked at your list, how many full series do you have?

Harvey

The only complete series I collect are RETAIL and I don't post retail DVD because they are in the store. But i mainly collect Original airings, and look for rare shows. Most rare shows i look for u won;t ever get the complete series, just 1 ep or 2 eps like these shows below

Lewis and Clark-I know for a fact that is not complete

Amanda's-Not complete and proabably never will be

Just Out Luck-Not complete and never will be
Old 06-20-2006, 03:11 PM   #65
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default big difference

in STAR DATES a rare short lived series
and the CBS NEWS or ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT

people want star dates
people do not want the other stuff u recommended taping
Old 06-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #66
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default this is the difference

Quote:
The only complete series I collect are RETAIL and I don't post retail DVD because they are in the store. But i mainly collect Original airings, and look for rare shows. Most rare shows i look for u won;t ever get the complete series, just 1 ep or 2 eps like these shows below

Lewis and Clark-I know for a fact that is not complete

Amanda's-Not complete and proabably never will be

Just Out Luck-Not complete and never will be

tvresearcher, u need to realize that 99% of the traders who trade--- do NOT trade like that

most people prefer to swap on DVD, not vhs, and prefer to swap SETS of shows, not just single episodes with original commercials and such

so my point is, the advice u gave on shows to tape, was simply not going to benefit the fellow who wanted to get started and it would have been a monumental waste of time for him!
Old 06-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #67
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont
tvresearcher, u need to realize that 99% of the traders who trade--- do NOT trade like that

most people prefer to swap on DVD, not vhs, and prefer to swap SETS of shows, not just single episodes with original commercials and such

so my point is, the advice u gave on shows to tape, was simply not going to benefit the fellow who wanted to get started and it would have been a monumental waste of time for him!

Reagardless if people trade like that or not, if someone was interested in Lewis and Clark on DVD, there is no such thing as a complete set.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #68
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default LET'S SEE...

i put up a poll

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=175490

lets see if ANYONE has ANY Interest in the type of shows u said would be wise to tape, 1 day only so vote 1 and all!

** PLEASE do not ask friends who do NOT trade at all, to vote to sway the outcome b/c thats silly****
Old 06-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #69
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular

Quote:
Reagardless if people trade like that or not, if someone was interested in Lewis and Clark on DVD, there is no such thing as a complete set.
This should be point #13 in the "Flaming" thread...

Attempt to divert attention away from the main point by arguing points that are irrelevant.

...Metallica
Old 06-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #70
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

So Lamont if there are no more sets out there for you to get what will u do then? Retire from trading?-lol
Old 06-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #71
lilhave

Quote:
So if there no complete set as I previously said people try to get as complete a set as they can. You don't even attempt that. You look for one episode if 15 exist and look for folks to cater to your trading needs. You absolutely refuse to accept that's not how people trade and to tell a newbie this is the way to go is unfair on your part.

It seems like you know what's rare and what's not. Are you the one that determines that?, because one person has it, it's no longer rare. Scarce today and common tomorrow. One person gets a set, or even a partial, makes a trade and before you know it, it's on 5o lists. Every item on everyones list, not retail at one time was rare, folks wondered will It ever see the light of day. Most did.

Story. The holy grail of all westerns is Whispering Smith, starring Audie Murphy. As the tale goes only the pilot exists and it seems like a good show. All remaining prints were destroyed as Murphy became a drunk and destroyed them. A friend I trade with tells me, his source, which happens to be a agent for th U. S. government has 12 of the episodes on tape and will convert them. Every western fan would give their eye teeth to get them. When and if I get them, I could trade it 50 times over. There goes rare. I remember when to catch a thief first came on the scene. People were selling it for millions on Ioffer. It's now common fare. Only rare if you put it in your closet and or to only trusted friends.

Point, Rare today, common tomorrow.

Harvey
Old 06-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #72
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default ....

Quote:
So Lamont if there are no more sets out there for you to get what will u do then? Retire from trading?-lol
there are ALWAYS gonna be sets out there that people dont have

and i collect a lot of stuff that is NOT complete, a few eps of this a few of that

my point was simply that the stuff u suggested taping was not a wise choice to tape

there is tons of stuff out there worth taping
Old 06-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #73
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhine56
This should be point #13 in the "Flaming" thread...

Attempt to divert attention away from the main point by arguing points that are irrelevant.
i see what u mean, as if the completeness of Lewis and Clarke has ANYTHING to do with the thread about taping today show, news, etc

Old 06-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #74
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
So if there no complete set as I prviously said people try to get as complete a set as they can. You don't even attempt that. You look for one episode if 15 exist and look for folks to cater toyour trading needs. You absolutely refuse to accept that's not how people trade and to tell a newbie this is the way to go is unfair on your part.

It seems like you know what's rare and what's not. Are you the one that determines that?, becuae one person has it, it's no longer rare. Scarce today and common tomorrow. One person gets a set, or even apartial, makes a trade and before you no it, it's one 5o lists. Every item on everyones list, not retail at one time was rare, folks wondered will It ever see the light of day. Most did.

Story. The holy grail of all westerns is Whispering Smith, starring Audie Murphy. As the tale goes only the pilot exists and it seems like a good show. All remaining prints were destroyed as Murphy became a drunk and destroyed them. A friend I trade with tells me, his source, which happens to be a agent for th U. S. government has 12 of the episodes on tape and will convert them. Every western fan would give their eye teeth to get them. When and if I get them, I could trade it 50 times over. There goes rare. I remember when to catch a thief first came on the scene. People were selling it for millions on Ioffer. It's now common fare. Only rare if you put it in your closet and or to only trusted friends.

Point, Rare today, common tomorrow.

Harvey

That's what I do harvey, I don't trade the Really RARE shows that easily such as Lewis and Clark, and Out of the Blue. I guess we are all different types of traders, me I look for THE REALLY OBSCURE SHOWS, Lamont looks for what he can get his hands on-lol So everyone is different and looks for different types of programming. So I guess u can also tell Lamont when he makes his annoucement-"NEW RARE SETS in" that it's no longer RARE if he got the set from someone who got it from someone else who got it from someone else-lol
Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #75
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default RARE

Quote:
That's what I do harvey, I don't trade the Really RARE shows that easily such as Lewis and Clark, and Out of the Blue. I guess we are all different types of traders, me I look for THE REALLY OBSCURE SHOWS, Lamont looks for what he can get his hands on-lol So everyone is different and looks for different types of programming. So I guess u can also tell Lamont when he makes his annoucement-"NEW RARE SETS in" that it's no longer RARE if he got the set from someone who got it from someone else who got it from someone else-lol
RARE is all situational, i think a show is rare if it is not on most peoples list and most people do not have access to it

and sorry to disappoint u, but i do not swap for everything i can get my hands on, i turn down about 25 trades a week b/c people have nothing that interests me
Closed Thread