Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-13-2005, 09:33 PM   #31
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahofpower
Now I agree it will be at least 4 blanks per disk. No way can I do it even because of time it takes for burning and I also ask for $5 to cover shipping. I'm just not after a profit
I'd venture to say everyone everyone who's responded in this thread is not out after a profit. But as Harvey said, we at least want something of equal value, even if it's not something we really want. Yes, I donate items & dollars to charities, but this is not one of them. As I said earlier, I've often made trades with someone who wanted something I have but that didn't really have anything I wanted. Yet, I selected something from their list & have often been pleasantly surprised. And if I'm disappointed with what I receive, at least the other trader showed some initiative by having something to trade. JMO. YMMV.

...Metallica
RedWhine56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #32
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular

Oh, and yes, I've received freebies from some of the traders who have responded in this thread, so yes, it happens. I've also GIVEN freebies. I think the insulting part comes from the OP requesting 6 years of shows (or whatever they can get from that six years) for a lousy 27 blanks. And postage. (Can't forget that.) And expecting that someone would actually DO it. And quite honestly, OP doesn't seem interested in trading (except for blanks). Only in acquiring. Not that there's anything wrong with that except that this is not the site for that. OP should go to Ebay & Ioffer.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #33
Calatine9
Frequent Poster

Hey! All I wanted was to a trade for some eps of YCDTOTV, that's all!
Calatine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:57 PM   #34
lilhave

With all the posts on this subject you still don't get it. You are not trading, you are asking someone to fill up your blank disks. That's it period.

Part of the fun of the hobby is when receiving the mail, opening up the package and putting a disk in the drive to see how it looks. Anticipation, it's like a kid opening up his or her piece of candy, or opening up a birthday gift and trying out the new toy. I enjoy viewing the disks I receive and planning who I can trade it with. There is no joy in looking at 15 blanks.

Everyone here, no matter how large their collection is was at one time a newbie with very little. How did they handle the situation? Did they ask people to fill their stockings or what. Let's al tell what we did.

Back in 2001 I was in the lobby of my development when a friend asked if I wanted to go with him to the library. "What book you looking for I asked" Was told it was to pick up vhs tapes to convert to vcds. Went along and Al showed me how to make vcds. Coping his and making more soon gave me a sizeable collection. Traded for even more. Now dvds and tv shows came into being and I was able to trade two cds for one dvd.

Next step was to find 3 or 4 who wanted to trade for what I had. That's all you need. Trade with player A, and take what you get from him or her and send it to player B, and then to C and before long you can build up a nice collection of what you like. But at no time did I ever ask anyone to fill blank disks for me. Again that's not trading, that's taking.

Harvey
lilhave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #35
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default maybe u didnt know.....

or notice
but u r not winning many people over to your bandwagon
noone that i know of is going to trade u blank dvds, 1 for 1 for dvds of shows
plain and simple

maybe you are new and it was an honest mistake, but if u keep going on and on about it
people will end up labeling you as a scammer, or like our friend the "infamous Beggar" who always ask for free shows for her birthday,
i suggest u drop the trade for blanks, before people start to lump u in with her!

I have not been trading for some time now, so please do not ask---- sorry, i cannot help you!
Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:09 PM   #36
Agent 13

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
Again that's not trading, that's taking.
Maybe I should try that the next time I go to a coin dealer. I'll ask him to swap my 2005 pennies for all of his 1793 pennies. "But, but, they're all pennies!" Come on.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:15 PM   #37
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 13

Maybe I should try that the next time I go to a coin dealer. I'll ask him to swap my 2005 pennies for all of his 1793 pennies. "But, but, they're all pennies!" Come on.
Let me know how it goes. I may try this with my 15 year old car...
Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #38
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular

Quote:
Part of the fun of the hobby is when receiving the mail, opening up the package and putting a disk in the drive to see how it looks. Anticipation, it's like a kid opening up his or her piece of candy, or opening up a birthday gift and trying out the new toy.
Isn't that the truth???? Even if I don't have time to watch them right away (which I rarely do), I just HAVE to check them out & watch a couple of minutes of shows.

Quote:
There is no joy in looking at 15 blanks.
I guess that's why OP doesn't want his blanks anymore...poor baby.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #39
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default not being a jerk....

Trust me, Lamont can indeed be a jerk, BUT im not on this one here

If I know someone and trade with them a lot, like Jen for instance, and she asks me to send her something I will, even if she didnt have anything I wanted in trade right then (assuming it was just odds and ends, NOT a big order) b/c I know her and we swap so I would help her out

BUT a total stranger asking me to record a 6 year show, for nothing? that is just plain dumb

if you are able to find someone to do that, then you are a lot smoother talker than I will ever be?
Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #40
scottdvd
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatine9
Hey! All I wanted was to a trade for some eps of YCDTOTV, that's all!
The type of trade you are looking for is not good for the other trader. Your trade looks like this to me: You will give me $.30 for every $3.00 I give you.

You would be better off starting a new thread asking if anyone has what you are looking for. Tell them to email you and then ask if they will sell it to you, lots of people will. I got my start by buying a few sets to start with and then trading from there.

Trade List
scottdvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:42 PM   #41
messiahofpower
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 13

Maybe if your real nice offer him a WHOLE role of these new shiny pennies for that one old 1909 svdb. You collect coins I see. So you probably have a metal detector. I love that hobby almost as much as tv...lol
messiahofpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:06 AM   #42
Calatine9
Frequent Poster

What if I offered the DVD-Rs and some shows on tape to anyone who has YCDTOTV?
Calatine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:35 AM   #43
Agent 13

Oh No

If you have something on VHS that another trader can't find on DVD, you might find a trader to trade you DVDs.

Trading on a 1:1 basis is never kosher when dealing with blank media, and the only people that will do this for you will be either friends or relatives. Even then, no one likes to be used.
Agent 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:48 AM   #44
ku7uk
Frequent Poster

INappropriate post

Last edited by savageamusement; 12-15-2005 at 10:26 AM.
ku7uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:58 AM   #45
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatine9
What if I offered the DVD-Rs and some shows on tape to anyone who has YCDTOTV?
They would need to be shows the person was interested in. I'm VERY LUCKY because I hooked up with a trader who has alot of shows I'd like to get. And I have lots of cable channels that have shows she doesn't get but wants. So I record the shows & when I get several discs together, send them off to her with a list of what I'd like in return. (This is a PRIMO deal & I consider myself very fortunate for being able to be involved in it.) So if you have any cable stations, you might post what ones you have as well as the area you live in. Sometimes different areas have local shows that someone may be interested in.

Another way (that would not be allowable on this board but I hope it's ok to just tell you about it) is to find out if there are retail sets the person wants. You buy the retail set & send it to them & they send you what you want. However, since you want six years worth of shows, if you find someone who has what you want, you would probably have to acquire your set over time, since retail sets can be quite expensive and you would be sending them an equivilent amount of shows. But then again, like anything, it takes time and/or money to acquire a large collection (of whatever it is we're collecting - not just shows.) And if you balk at this method, then just remember, those of us who trade have money invested in DVD burners, DVD recorders, duplicators, software to copy/duplicate/rip/burn/edit/etc. IOW, there are costs associated with trading...