Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default How many Traders ever received this response from another trader when they had a

problem with a Disc or Tape? "Well it must be your player because it worked fine on my Player"

Why would a trader make that statement instead of trying to find out if they need to copy on a different brand disc or if there was a bad burn? This statement tell me the trader doesn't give a sh*T as long as they got what they wanted. I would never tell any trader anything like that because I want everything I send out to be atchable/enjoyable. A trader recently said this to me, a guy a been trading with for 2 years and I was really bothered by this statement because I thought we were friends. I never expected a statement like that from a guy I been trading with for so long. Anyone else agree that a trader should never make this statement?
Old 11-27-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
neuroslicer
Frequent Poster

This issue wouldn't come up so frequently if people stopped using crap media and started using higher quality blank dvds.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Location: Canada, watching the grooviest gang of fuzz who ever wore a badge.

It happens. A couple of months back I sent some discs that wouldn't play for me to Agent 13 and she had no problems with them. No one can predict media-player compatibility so get used to it, it will happen again. Luckily the solution is simple: put the disc into your computer's drive, copy the files and burn them onto media you know your player likes. Obviously if the disc won't copy either, then you have a bad burn and will need to go back to the source to get it again. But assuming he told you the truth when he said it played for him, chances are high it will copy fine for you and problem solved.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygrae
It happens. A couple of months back I sent some discs that wouldn't play for me to Agent 13 and she had no problems with them. No one can predict media-player compatibility so get used to it, it will happen again. Luckily the solution is simple: put the disc into your computer's drive, copy the files and burn them onto media you know your player likes. Obviously if the disc won't copy either, then you have a bad burn and will need to go back to the source to get it again. But assuming he told you the truth when he said it played for him, chances are high it will copy fine for you and problem solved.

Doesn't matter if they played for him, he has to find out a solution for the trade to be complete. So hearing the statement-"It's Your Player" tells me that I should go and buy a NEW DVD PLAYER because they worked fine for me. That's the vibe it gives off
Old 11-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
KonfusionFTC
Cobra Kai Never Dies

Send a message via ICQ to KonfusionFTC Send a message via AIM to KonfusionFTC Send a message via MSN to KonfusionFTC Send a message via Yahoo to KonfusionFTC

i just thought of an idea that could work for situations like these before someone makes a trade find out what brands of discs the other persons player is compatable with. what they prefer etc. if you traded with this person before and they used to same discs as before and those work then i dont see why they wouldnt work with a different show.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
lilhave

You answered it in a nutshell. Problem is some only have a duplicator and no burner in their computer. This gives them one chance and one chance only. I have burners in 3 computers and no duplicators. I wish I had a penny for each time I put a disk in one computer and it would not copy with Nero, could not copy the video file to the hard drive or decrypter spit it out. Unrecoverable error, cycle redunancy error, everything. Put it in another machine and it read and copied perfectly. At least 50 percent of the time I can save it this way. Decrypter is a GOD send. Many times it takes 20 or 30 retries and finally reads it. Sometimes you take the disk out, run it thru lukewarm water, dab it with a tissue, dabbing inside out and then it reads. If you just have a duplicator you have but one chance and many, many times it's not enough. I have had it fail on three machines, go to my friend and bingo he reads it. Point is when someone says it plays for me and it maybe is your equipment, it just might be. You must have two sources to work form.

Harvey
Old 11-27-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
savageamusement
Cutest Couch Potato

Default Dvd players

In all honesty sometimes it is our individual equiptment.

As dvds progress, things like SPEED, and FORMATTING change.

Some of the dvds I used to brun at 1 x (oh the olden days) Don't play on my oldest player.

Even my pc won't reburn them.

Where as some of my newer, wont play on my first dvd player.
Technology and equipment does make a difference and it does have its hand in things.

TO be told "Oh it isn't me, things worked fine here" doen'st fix anything, and it doen'st help.
But if one finds he is running into the problem a lot- maybe he has to consider spending the money on a new player.

I talked to someone recently who didn't know they COULD clean their dvd laser - and once they had, most of their problems were eliminated.
ANother who didn't know you could burn at a lower speed.

Sometimes you have to break down the issues.

I myself about a year ago, found 4 out of 5 of mys ummer trades, stuttered, didn't play. ANd I KNEW it wasnt' the fault of all 4 traders.
I was using an APEX brand model dvd player.
Turns out they simply wont play 4x discs.
Dunno why. Different brands, different shows. It won't play them.
I ended up out of curiousity bringing them to my mom's and sitting there for 4 hours putting them all in, start to finish.

Went to Amazon, bought that player for 29.55 and since then, not a problem.
It was my player- and unfortunately I had complained to the first sender, and made them replace 11 discs before finding out.

There are many steps to making a dvd as well as good playback, sometimes we do have to break it down. And sometimes, we do have to replace things.

I wouldn't say self doubt is the way to go, but since player hsave come down in price, it might be worth checking out.

There are some video stores here that rent dvd players, might be a good investment, or even a pawn shop- I have asked to use things for a bit, before making a decision.

Do I think someone shoudl falt out say "hey its you not me" No.
I think it shoudl be addressed, as to where the problem is and then problem solved- becuase it coudl be you. it oculd be him, hell it could be HIS in YOURS.
Meaning player compatiability.

It gets so chaotic.

Guess what it comes down to- Don't let them assume its your fault-
But, don't assume it isn't either.

To avoid channel surfing Wipeouts!
Old 11-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageamusement
In all honesty sometimes it is our individual equiptment.

As dvds progress, things like SPEED, and FORMATTING change.

Some of the dvds I used to brun at 1 x (oh the olden days) Don't play on my oldest player.

Even my pc won't reburn them.

Where as some of my newer, wont play on my first dvd player.
Technology and equipment does make a difference and it does have its hand in things.

TO be told "Oh it isn't me, things worked fine here" doen'st fix anything, and it doen'st help.
But if one finds he is running into the problem a lot- maybe he has to consider spending the money on a new player.

I talked to someone recently who didn't know they COULD clean their dvd laser - and once they had, most of their problems were eliminated.
ANother who didn't know you could burn at a lower speed.

Sometimes you have to break down the issues.

I myself about a year ago, found 4 out of 5 of mys ummer trades, stuttered, didn't play. ANd I KNEW it wasnt' the fault of all 4 traders.
I was using an APEX brand model dvd player.
Turns out they simply wont play 4x discs.
Dunno why. Different brands, different shows. It won't play them.
I ended up out of curiousity bringing them to my mom's and sitting there for 4 hours putting them all in, start to finish.

Went to Amazon, bought that player for 29.55 and since then, not a problem.
It was my player- and unfortunately I had complained to the first sender, and made them replace 11 discs before finding out.

There are many steps to making a dvd as well as good playback, sometimes we do have to break it down. And sometimes, we do have to replace things.

I wouldn't say self doubt is the way to go, but since player hsave come down in price, it might be worth checking out.

There are some video stores here that rent dvd players, might be a good investment, or even a pawn shop- I have asked to use things for a bit, before making a decision.

Do I think someone shoudl falt out say "hey its you not me" No.
I think it shoudl be addressed, as to where the problem is and then problem solved- becuase it coudl be you. it oculd be him, hell it could be HIS in YOURS.
Meaning player compatiability.

It gets so chaotic.

Guess what it comes down to- Don't let them assume its your fault-
But, don't assume it isn't either.

You brung up a interesting point. Maybe a disc needs to be burnt at a lower speed. And all I want is for a trader to address the issue and not tell me to invest in another DVD player
Old 11-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #9
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default info

OK I work with high tech electronic equipment for a living
I deal with issues like this a lot

and my recommendation is that EVERY trader who deals with dvds, needs to have AT LEAST 2 players and a computer to avoid such issues ----
here is why

myself, I have about 7 dvd players at home, counting recorders, and also a dvd drive on the computer

OFTEN i get discs that will not play properly on 1 or more of the players, SOME DISCS will NOT EVEN LOAD on the Apex but will play perfect on the Sanyo, some discs wont play properly on the PANASONIC (lock up or such) BUT they play perfect on another player

When I have a problem disc, I TEST IS ON ALL MY PLAYERS and computer drive BEFORE i complain to the person I got it from, BECAUSE
if the disc will play on 1 player at all that i have then the disc IS NOT DEFECTIVE, it just has compatibility issues, there is no NATIONWIDE STANDARD for dvd players, and compatibility issues do exist, between brands of discs, speeds, and individual players,
THAT IS WHY ALL TRADERS NEED TO HAVE ACCESS to more than 1 player, b/c just b/c a disc wont play on your machine, it very well might be your machine, and to be honest 99% of the time it IS your machine

THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOUR MACHINE is bad, just that is has issues with certain discs

Yes, some machines do not do as well with certain speeds, BUT YOU CAN ALMOST ALWAYS DOWNLOAD a firmware update on a computer, burn to a disc and fix that problem yourself.....

Yes, some machines dont like some brands of discs, and you should let the other party know if thats the case.

ALSO u need to clean your lasers fairly frequently, you can go to ebay and buy a dvd cleaner for like $5. I have found that 3/4 of people NEVER CLEAN THEM, and this can cause jumping and skipping, and these problems are 10 times more likely to happen with BURNED DVDS than store bought./

IF A DISC IS BAD, its bad NO MATTER WHAT, i u test it on 10 machines and it plays on 1, then the disc is JUST FINE. Even good players, have issues. I have all types from a $400 panasonic dvd player down to a walmart cheapo $40 sanyo.... sometimes the $400 wont play a disc and the cheapo will...

It is just how the ball bounces, so to avoid issues, I think all traders need to have more than 1 dvd player to test on, OR AT LEAST Must have a computer or a friend or neighbor they can test on. If you have a computer, u can reburn the disc to another brand or speed and avoid all problems.

Yes, bad burns do happen, and yes that is a fact of life, but more often than not, its simply a compatibility issue that can be fixed yourself, if you have the right equipment.

I am just putting the info out there, I work with electronics on a daily basis. I get bad discs in trade sometime, and I always try to test it on other players and if possible reburn and fix it myself, Before I tell the sender that the disc is bad.

BY THE WAY, anyone who wants leftover turkey and ham, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, as I have a ton!

I have not been trading for some time now, so please do not ask---- sorry, i cannot help you!
Old 11-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default PS

PS if your dvd player is having an issue
and u dont want to invest in another

go online and see if you can get a FIRMWARE UPDATE for your model
u can download for free and burn to a disc, and some places will mail u a disc for a low price if u need it
pop it in and update

OR you can have a friend take the dvd home and test it and see

again this is NOT directed just at retrotv.... because this issue is a LEGIT ISSUE and to be honest, when i first switched to dvd trading, i have lots of compatibility issues and had to learn all the ins and outs and learn what discs and speeds work with what players and things like that

im just putting out the info so that we can all learn and make it a better trading community with less issues and headaches for all of us

Old 11-27-2005, 04:54 PM   #11
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Thumbs up PSS

One last one

if all else fails, put it on vhs and send it that way

its a big pain, yes
but that is what retro and i worked out for our compatibility issue

i am sending him the shows he wanted on vhs tapes, so that way we are both happy

sometimes it is better just to not worry about where the problem lies and simply try to find out what can be done to make everyone happy!
Old 11-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #12
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont
OK I work with high tech electronic equipment for a living
I deal with issues like this a lot

and my recommendation is that EVERY trader who deals with dvds, needs to have AT LEAST 2 players and a computer to avoid such issues ----
here is why

myself, I have about 7 dvd players at home, counting recorders, and also a dvd drive on the computer

OFTEN i get discs that will not play properly on 1 or more of the players, SOME DISCS will NOT EVEN LOAD on the Apex but will play perfect on the Sanyo, some discs wont play properly on the PANASONIC (lock up or such) BUT they play perfect on another player

When I have a problem disc, I TEST IS ON ALL MY PLAYERS and computer drive BEFORE i complain to the person I got it from, BECAUSE
if the disc will play on 1 player at all that i have then the disc IS NOT DEFECTIVE, it just has compatibility issues, there is no NATIONWIDE STANDARD for dvd players, and compatibility issues do exist, between brands of discs, speeds, and individual players,
THAT IS WHY ALL TRADERS NEED TO HAVE ACCESS to more than 1 player, b/c just b/c a disc wont play on your machine, it very well might be your machine, and to be honest 99% of the time it IS your machine

THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOUR MACHINE is bad, just that is has issues with certain discs

Yes, some machines do not do as well with certain speeds, BUT YOU CAN ALMOST ALWAYS DOWNLOAD a firmware update on a computer, burn to a disc and fix that problem yourself.....

Yes, some machines dont like some brands of discs, and you should let the other party know if thats the case.

ALSO u need to clean your lasers fairly frequently, you can go to ebay and buy a dvd cleaner for like $5. I have found that 3/4 of people NEVER CLEAN THEM, and this can cause jumping and skipping, and these problems are 10 times more likely to happen with BURNED DVDS than store bought./

IF A DISC IS BAD, its bad NO MATTER WHAT, i u test it on 10 machines and it plays on 1, then the disc is JUST FINE. Even good players, have issues. I have all types from a $400 panasonic dvd player down to a walmart cheapo $40 sanyo.... sometimes the $400 wont play a disc and the cheapo will...

It is just how the ball bounces, so to avoid issues, I think all traders need to have more than 1 dvd player to test on, OR AT LEAST Must have a computer or a friend or neighbor they can test on. If you have a computer, u can reburn the disc to another brand or speed and avoid all problems.

Yes, bad burns do happen, and yes that is a fact of life, but more often than not, its simply a compatibility issue that can be fixed yourself, if you have the right equipment.

I am just putting the info out there, I work with electronics on a daily basis. I get bad discs in trade sometime, and I always try to test it on other players and if possible reburn and fix it myself, Before I tell the sender that the disc is bad.

BY THE WAY, anyone who wants leftover turkey and ham, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, as I have a ton!

All that is true but a trader should still HELP the person resolve the issue. Not saying it's the traders fault but it's very rude to tell someone-"well I suggest you invest in another DVD Player" instead of saying-Ok let me see what I can do. I never go through this on the Sports Trading Board. I received a bad disc over the weekend and when I told the guy I had problems with freeezing, he didn't hesistant to help me which is what a good trader does. Someone complain to me about a problem and I reaaranged my entire VHS and DVD setup just so I could fix the problem.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:58 PM   #13
lilhave

Saying the trader should help resolve the problem is all well and good. But what is the person doing to resolve the problem.? Saying "it don't work", means squat. Has the person tried it it one more then one device, done something to try to rectify the problem?, or just says"it don't work, what are you going to do about it? Many people take one shot and expect the other party to do everything. I have seen pepole say after a trade of say 12 disks say, " 5 don't work, send me 5 more". To me five not working tells me there is a problem at your end but some don't want to hear it.

Harvey
Old 11-27-2005, 06:05 PM   #14
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
Saying the trader should help resolve the problem is all well and good. But what is the person doing to resolve the problem.? Saying "it don't work", means squat. Has the person tried it it one more then one device, done something to try to rectify the problem?, or just says"it don't work, what are you going to do about it? Many people take one shot and expect the other party to do everything. I have seen pepole say after a trade of say 12 disks say, " 5 don't work, send me 5 more". To me five not working tells me there is a problem at your end but some don't want to hear it.

Harvey

It's not COMPLAINING to the trader, It's only bringing to his attention that I'm unable to watch the show and do u think he can help me find out why. So it's not about WHO THE BAME, it's the Technology and I just try and see if we both can work together to resolve it.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:24 PM   #15
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default exactly!

I agree the person who sent the discs that cannot work on the other persons player should try to work with you to resolve

BUT Harvey is right also

the person who receives the discs should do everything in their power also
WHICH to me means, they should have more than 1 dvd player to test them on, or a computer with a dvd drive

I mean, someone might have a dvd player that has a problem playing certain discs, suppose that person and me do a trade for 200 discs and the receiver cant get them to play right on HIS machine, BUT the 200 discs are all fine, what makes more sense?--- should I have to redo all 200 discs BECAUSE they dont have a 2nd player? or should the other person run down to WAL MART and buy a $40 SANYO that WILL play them?? It goes both ways

Both parties need to do what it takes to make it better.... and YES, i have found that the $40 cheapo SANYO from walmart, will play ALMOST ALL DISCS WITH NO PROBLEMS at all

Look at is this way---- Suppose I had an old 1974 2 head, vhs player
and someone sent me vhs tapes that are recorded on a 4 head player, THERE MIGHT BE A PROBLEM with tracking or sound crackles, as I have seen it happy.... should the person who sent the video tapes be to blame b/c the other person only has 1 vhs player?

I mean to me, If the disc is defective that is one thing, BUT if it just doesn't work on your player that is another..... So both sides need to be willing to do what it takes.... and yes, sometimes that does mean that the other party needs to buy a new player. I have 1 dvd player that is less than a year old, BUT IT WILL NOT READ TAIYO discs at all, NOT A SINGLE ONE! It is a very good player and costs like $200, but it wont read those discs for some reason....Now these T Y discs are the top of the line, best dvd-rs u can buy, and if I only had 1 player and it was that player, then I might think that every trader who sent me TAIYO discs, sent me junk, when in fact, it would be my players fault. The sender should try to make it right to the receiver, but sometimes it would better in the long run, for the receiver to get another player or computer, so that the problem doesn't keep popping up.....
BECAUSE if you have a dvd player that has problems reading SOME discs,
IT IS ONLY GOING TO GET WORSE, b/c the technology advances SO FAST these days, that within 6 months or a year, that player will most likely have trouble playing more and more and more discs.....
Closed Thread