Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cheers Central / Cheers links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Cheers Photo Gallery

Cheers - The Complete First Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete First Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Second Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Third Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Ninth Season

Buy Cheers - The Ninth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Tenth Season

Buy Cheers - The Tenth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Eleventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Eleventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Series

Buy Cheers - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Cheers

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-09-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
TV DVD Fan

Default The Official Season Six (6) Thread.

Hello fellow Cheers Lovers,

I once again present to you, the official dvd thread, but this time we're changing the topic at view from Cheers Season Five to Cheers Season Six.

Here's what we will go through on this thread-

. Posting of your dream sets
. What about that art?
. Extras
. Rare Behind-The-Scenes Footage
. Favorite Season Six Moments
. and new season six games!

We have until September 13th until we all are holding set copies in our hands, so I hope this thread will help us get through the what seems impossible wait.

Daily, I will contribute something fun and new to the thread. As you can see, I'm branching out on this thread even more than the official season five thread. Please come and post, trust me, it'll help pass the time along!

Yours truly,
Pat

Sarah Connor: Maybe if you spend your life hiding who you are, you might finally end up fooling yourself.

- From the episode "Gnothi Seauton."
TV DVD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
tiff7
wdwdisneylandnut4life

Send a message via AIM to tiff7 Send a message via Yahoo to tiff7

I can't wait 4 season 6! It's not the same w/out Diane, but what episodes are in season 6? (2 refresh our memories of life w/out Diane) Gracias Pat! Can't wait 2 get season 6 in September! (I thought dvd's come out 3 months of each other, I guess Paramount messed up on that again, 1st w/Frasier & now w/Cheers) I can wait 3 months

Tiff7
tiff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
TV DVD Fan

True, it was not the same without Diane, I felt the writing improved. (though the acting without the diane/sam chemistry sort of weakened due to there being no diane/sam relationship.)

Memorable episodes included-
"Home is the Sailor"
"'I' on Sports"
"Backseat Becky, Up Front"
"Little Carla, Happy At Least (1) and (2)"
"Christmas Cheers"
and "Airport IV"

official episode guide on http:www.tvtome.com

pat
Old 06-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
TV DVD Fan

a rather interesting version of the theme:

http://www/sitcomsonline.com/sounds/...layversion.wav

pat
Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
TV DVD Fan

http://www.geocities.com/goodnightseattle/pcasey.htm

a rather interesting look at frasier creator peter casey and his early cheers 'history'.

pat
Old 06-09-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Location: Courthouse Square, Hill Valley, beside the clocktower, 10:04 p.m., November 12th 1955

I really liked the "Christmas Cheers" episode from season six. My favourite was the scene at the end, when everyone was watching the TV and there was a newsflash, with the newsreader announcing, "And now, in other news, Boston Airport has been forced to close due to the presence of a berserk man..." At which point (or maybe earlier) we suddenly notice that Cliff is the only member not there watching it and we just KNOW it's him - and it's confirmed a few seconds later, when the newsreader says he's throwing cans at an aeroplane!

Doc: Don't worry! As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88 miles per hour, the instant the lightning strikes the tower, everything will be fine!
Sharop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
barwars
Forum Veteran

I want Season 6 a lot.... but the longer it takes for it to arrive the better. There's no way in hell I'm wishing my summer away.
barwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
SpunkiiMonkii7078
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpunkiiMonkii7078

I can't wait for Season 6! I really thought the writing for the show improved this season. I'll miss Diane though!

Jessica

713 votes x Miami 7 x Unreleased rank: 221st
681 votes x L.A. 7 x Unreleased rank: 243rd
692 votes x Hollywood 7 x Unreleased rank: 232nd
221 votes x Viva S Club x Unreleased rank: 1148th
Updated: January 7, 2013

myspace facebook twitter
SpunkiiMonkii7078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
Norm's Stool
Pretzels!
Frequent Poster

Sorry to disagree, but in my opinion the writing was far better during the Diane years. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Rebecca years as well, but it is my impression that, once Cheers became a hit, the writers trusted more in the ability of their actors and the interaction among the characters instead of writing flawless, rounded almost-one-act-play scripts such as those from the first seasons, when Cheers was still a struggling show trying to win its audience (a similar thing's happening these days with Arrested Development). By the Kirstie years, they didn't have to convince anyone of how good they were anymore, and that's why I find the writing of that era a bit more "relaxed"... not bad at all, just not as perfect as before. It's more noticeable in further seasons than in Season 6, though, where some of the Charles brothers "heritage" is still present. I think their being less and less involved in the writing process damaged this aspect of the show a bit.

But of course, this is just an opinion, and I LOVE the Rebecca years!

P.S. Thanks for the Peter Casey link, it's great!
Old 06-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
barwars
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm's Stool
Sorry to disagree, but in my opinion the writing was far better during the Diane years. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Rebecca years as well, but it is my impression that, once Cheers became a hit, the writers trusted more in the ability of their actors and the interaction among the characters instead of writing flawless, rounded almost-one-act-play scripts such as those from the first seasons, when Cheers was still a struggling show trying to win its audience (a similar thing's happening these days with Arrested Development). By the Kirstie years, they didn't have to convince anyone of how good they were anymore, and that's why I find the writing of that era a bit more "relaxed"... not bad at all, just not as perfect as before. It's more noticeable in further seasons than in Season 6, though, where some of the Charles brothers "heritage" is still present. I think their being less and less involved in the writing process damaged this aspect of the show a bit.

But of course, this is just an opinion, and I LOVE the Rebecca years!
I agree. Even in Season 5 the writing wasn't as sharp as it once was, but everything went together perfectly.

Everyone seemed to feel more comfortable in the later seasons. I think the earlier years were very funny, but smarter. While the Rebecca years weren't quite as smart, but were even funnier.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #11
tiff7
wdwdisneylandnut4life

Send a message via AIM to tiff7 Send a message via Yahoo to tiff7

Glen & Les Charles (the producers & writers, along w/David Lee, Peter Casey & the late David Angell) left the show in the late 80's (according 2 the E! True Hollywood Story) b/c they were tired of cranking out a weekly tv show & had sooo much money. (Ted Danson got a hefty pay in 1992) How much did the cast make? Kelsey Grammer made 2.3 mil on Frasier, while the Friends gang got 2 mil as of 2002.

Tiff7
tiff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #12
barwars
Forum Veteran

I think Ted Danson was making like $800,000 an episode. Everybody else was making good money, but nothing compared to Danson (which was a record at the time)

I remember reading/hearing that NBC offered Jerry Seinfeld $10Million an EPISODE if he would go on for a 10th Season of Seinfeld.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #13
USTVFanFromUK
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwars
I think Ted Danson was making like $800,000 an episode. Everybody else was making good money, but nothing compared to Danson (which was a record at the time)

I remember reading/hearing that NBC offered Jerry Seinfeld $10Million an EPISODE if he would go on for a 10th Season of Seinfeld.
Bill Cosby made $1 milliion per episode before Danson. I believe Roseanne was the first woman to make $1 million episode as well.

I heard the same thing about Jerry as well. However, Jerry was smart enough to know a 10th season would've probably been a bad thing since the 9th season was a pretty mixed bag.
USTVFanFromUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #14
USTVFanFromUK
Forum Regular

I absolutely love season 6. I agree with barwars, it wasn't as sophisticated as the first
5 seasons, but was definitely funnier thus more assessable. I always found Kirstie Alley to be a better comedic actress than Shelly Long as well, though I adore Diane. Sure, the Sam/Diane chemistry was gone, but I think the show explored more character relationships because of it.

::dodges tomatoes::
USTVFanFromUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #15
Norm's Stool
Pretzels!
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by USTVFanFromUK
Sure, the Sam/Diane chemistry was gone, but I think the show explored more character relationships because of it.
That's what I love the most about the Rebecca years: she and Sam were friends, lovers, business partners at a certain point, but above all: comrades, a kind of relationship one never suspected Sam would be able to have with a woman. It was a lovely thing to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwars

Then I have to admire Jerry Seinfeld even more than before! Turning down that kind of money for the show's sake shows integrity.
Norm's Stool is offline   Reply With Quote