Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #31
kamy
UM Fanatic
Forum Regular

Just my two cents....since this story has always been close to my heart.

I've managed group homes for the developmentally disabled (or the outdated term, mentally retarded) the past five years. I also have a neice that is DD and before working in the field, I could never imagine ever allowing her to be put in a group home. Here I am five years later, and I realize it's way too easy to judge people who put there loved ones in homes. Right now I work in a childrens group home (ages 8-9), and at first could not imagine how anyone could put their child in a home. But after the year I've spent there, I see this is hard work and regardless of how gifted or high-functioning the child is, a lot of times there are all sorts of behavior disorders or health issues that come with it. And let me tell you, some behaviors are way to much for the average person to handle. Way to much for an untrained parent, a single parent, or an aging parent to deal with. Can some parents do it on their own? Yes, but I can't judge the ones that decide they can't do it. We offer the children a chance to live a relatively normal life where they can be taught life skills, job training and anything else they are able to do in a supporting environment.

So enough with judging the Pages' and criticizing their decision. We don't know the whole story, we don't know what other issues Gordon may or may not have had. Elopement happens often enough in group homes, and how many times have I chased a 13 year-old boy across the street and thought about how easily he could have ended up like Gordon when staff had their heads turned. I pray that wherever Gordon is, he is safe and healthy. And I sincerely hope that there is a resolution to this someday.
kamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #32
suzannec4444
Frequent Poster

I pray he is safe and healthy and happy too.His story is very sad.
suzannec4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #33
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Just watched this case, very sad.

I feel for the parents. Such a home was good for Gordon, it would have helped him interact with people like himself. Which is part of the reason he was sent there in the first place because he lost touch with people his own age.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:58 AM   #34
CanadianUMFan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themope
Her story sounds like complete b.s. to me. Sorry to say it, but it just doesn't ring true to me. Seems to me that if all these events happened like she says, Gordon Sr. would have put out the word that his son might be in the San Francisco/Fisherman's Wharf area. I've lived here for 13 years and am in that area frequently and have never seen a flyer or heard anything regarding Gordon being seen there. I would like for it to be true, but I don't believe it. Sorry.
Agreed. I think that it is baloney too. I am not a big believer in psychics either and we should all know the pitfalls of eyewitness identification by now.
CanadianUMFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #35
Wamisto
Frequent Poster

Two things:

1. I too do not understand why Gordon Sr. did not try to find a similar group home closer to his new home in Florida. This would certainly have been better for both Gordon Jr. and Gordon Sr. - they could see each other more often (which both would have wanted, I am sure). Now, notice I said "I do not understand" not "the decision was wrong". There may have been some good reasons that went into the decision that I am just not privy to.

2. I agree with a previous poster on another thread which discussed this case - that something may have happened to him at the group home, and it was covered up. It would not be without precedent. // I just find it very unlikely that he would not have been found by now - either dead or alive. There have been many "sightings", but none of them have been corroborated. If you don't "show me the beef", I have a hard time believing there is any substance to the sightings. Just like so many other missing persons who are "sighted" many times in various locations, we later find out after discovering their bodies and doing the autopsy that they died within hours of disappearing.
Wamisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #36
mattc
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamisto
Two things:

1. I too do not understand why Gordon Sr. did not try to find a similar group home closer to his new home in Florida. This would certainly have been better for both Gordon Jr. and Gordon Sr. - they could see each other more often (which both would have wanted, I am sure). Now, notice I said "I do not understand" not "the decision was wrong". There may have been some good reasons that went into the decision that I am just not privy to.

2. I agree with a previous poster on another thread which discussed this case - that something may have happened to him at the group home, and it was covered up. It would not be without precedent. // I just find it very unlikely that he would not have been found by now - either dead or alive. There have been many "sightings", but none of them have been corroborated. If you don't "show me the beef", I have a hard time believing there is any substance to the sightings. Just like so many other missing persons who are "sighted" many times in various locations, we later find out after discovering their bodies and doing the autopsy that they died within hours of disappearing.
Wow, interesting idea that I had never thought about, and apparently overlooked on the boards: That something happened at the group home and it was covered up!

I really liked what Kamy wrote, because I too have worked in an adult group home, and it usually is a better environment than being at home, believe it or not. At home, DD adults are often left alone, with very little social interaction, but at a group home they begin to feel "normal" and not stigmatized, as they do in the larger society. I also feel that Gordon may not been transferred to a home in Florida because change can be tragic and devastating for DD people, and I sense that they wanted to allow him to get comfortable in his current home before uprooting him.

That being said, I think the possibility that he was harmed at the home and it was covered up should be explored. It is as likely as him running away if you think about it. Group home, even to this day, are very poorly regulated, are usually private run facilities (often like a day care), with few employees (usually the owners and a very small staff). I can see an accident happening, or another person harming Gordon, and panic ensuing and a cover up happening.

I'm gonna have to go and read some of the earlier posts now
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #37
Coffeeface
Coffeeface
Frequent Poster

Poor Gordon, what could have happened?

Sadly I think he must have passed away already due to the elements. I just don't think he is in a shelter, especially for 20 years now. Or I guess next year it will be 20 years. So Sad. I can understand the parents decision to put him a group home.

I do believe they did this out of love. The parents will one day die and then what would have become of Gordon? I think they were just trying to prepare him for the inevitable. Make him a little more independent.

"Never, never doubt what no one is sure about." -Wily Wonka
Coffeeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #38
ComedyGuy
King Of TV Trivia

Well if that manager remembers seeing him there at a party at her health club then why not interview as many people as they can who were at that party at the health club ???

Did Gordon SR. go back to the psychic for more info ??
Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #39
FuzzyFaceFreak
Occasional Poster

This story aired again today. Sad story. Has anyone ever checked to see if his fingerprints were on file and put into CODIS or another database?

His father states toward the end of the segment that they left him because they didn't know which direction they were going in... Those words must be haunting due the the direction they've been in since 1991.

I hope someday to read a solution to this mystery.
FuzzyFaceFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #40
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I'd like to hope Gordon was still alive, but after all these years I don't think it's likely. I think he continued living on the streets until he died from the elements. I don't buy the eyewitness account in San Francisco. How'd he make it all the way to California without Gordon telling them he was looking for his family in Florida? That's why I don't think he's living in a home. If he was I'm sure he would have been able to tell them his name and where his parents were living, either before or after their move to Florida. There is a slim chance he's living as a homeless person, lost and alone, and to IMHO that's even more of a heartbreak than if he were dead.

EDIT: As to the theory that Gordon may still be alive, albeit homeless, I have to ask just how has he been able to survive all these years jobless, with his mental condition? kamy posted on here about their experience with group homes, and it seems like Gordon definitely needed the support system (not to mention medication) of the group home to function properly. All of that was stripped away the day he ran away to find his family. I just can't conceive how he could still be alive without any help for the past twenty years.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #41
Eire
Frequent Poster

To echo what Kamy said, I have worked in group homes for the DD and they are, for the most part, a healthy and safe place. When I worked there, it was my main goal to give the individuals every normal experience possible. They were family to me and my co-workers. They came to holidays at our homes, celebrated birthdays with us, came to our children's sporting events and plays and were treated very well. Many a time we used money from our own pockets to give our individuals a special treat. Yes, there are bad staff in group homes just like there are bad staff at every job, but they are the minority. I reported bad staff when I saw something not kosher going on. I refuse to judge families who place their loved ones. I know how had it was for us to manage the behaviors of some of our individuals and I couldn't imagine their often elderly parents doing so. I was punched in the face once. That individual had one living relative who was 75 years old. She could not manage his explosive tendencies.

It could be possible that something happened to Gordon in the home and it was covered up, but I don't find it probable. It would have had to have involved many staff keeping quiet for a very long time and I just don't see that happening. I think it's more likely he eloped and is a John Doe somewhere.
Eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #42
silverstang84
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
it seems like Gordon definitely needed the support system (not to mention medication) of the group home to function properly. All of that was stripped away the day he ran away to find his family. I just can't conceive how he could still be alive without any help for the past twenty years.

I agree. I cant see someone with the mentality of Gordy being able to survive out on the streets on his own. That would be like sending a 4 year old out to live on the streets, find food everyday and find shelter. I don't think that's reasonable without someones help. I have always thought that he either died due to the elements, or was picked up by someone (possibly a trucker) whom may have taken advantage of him and murdered him. I really hope that someday we will find out what happend to Gordy. I'd like him to be found. But, 20 years later, even his remains would be enough to put his parents at ease. At least they would know they found him.
silverstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #43
XiaoGouPi
Frequent Poster

Default He could have been MURDERED y'know ??

Why didnt anybody speculate that whoever picked him up on the road while hes hitch-hiking could have simply killed him and buried his body somewhere remote?

I hate to say it, but i am certain a lot of the missing person cases are buried some place where nobody will ever find them.

There could might as well be 1,000 corpses lying out there that has yet to be found.

Thats sCaRy mANn ...
XiaoGouPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #44
Hambone2421

This year marks 20 years since Gordon disappeared. I know we all speculate as to where he might be or if he is still alive but does anyone know what became of his parents? His father looked older in the segment. I wonder if he is still alive? One of the saddest cases ever featured on UM.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #45
xxxxmattxxxx69
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
This year marks 20 years since Gordon disappeared. I know we all speculate as to where he might be or if he is still alive but does anyone know what became of his parents? His father looked older in the segment. I wonder if he is still alive? One of the saddest cases ever featured on UM.
I believe they are both still alive in Florida getting close to 80? Gordon Jr. would be 48 if he's still alive. According to the UM wiki there are no extra notes.
xxxxmattxxxx69 is offline   Reply With Quote