Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

I Love Lucy (Sitcoms Online) / I Love Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / I Love Lucy Photo Gallery

I Love Lucy - The Complete First Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete First Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Second Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Second Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Third Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Third Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Seventh-Ninth Seasons (The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour)

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Seventh-Ninth Seasons on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD
I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 1 (Blu-ray)

Buy I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 1 on Blu-ray
I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 2 (Blu-ray)

Buy I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 2 on Blu-ray
I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection

Buy I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > I Love Lucy

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Will and Grace Fanatic
be happy

Default series finale

How do you think I Love Lucy should have ended if they had done a proper series finale? I don't believe they really gave it an official series finale.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:57 AM   #2
James28

As iconic a series as I Love Lucy was (being the first sitcom to be produced using the multi-camera setup and to feature an ensemble cast, the show that started the syndicated-rerun phenomenon, and placing in the Top-five of the Nielsen year-end ratings for its entire run), would anyone find it strange that it never had a proper series finale? I don't know what such an episode would have been like, because it's not like I Love Lucy had any multi-episode storylines that needed to be wrapped-up sooner or later or anything.

I am going to ask this: What if I Love Lucy became the first U.S. broadcast-network TV show to have produced a proper series finale episode instead of Leave It to Beaver or The Dick Van Dyke Show? I think this would have a huge "butterfly effect". Would this have meant more long-running TV series in the decades since then announcing their proper endings in advance instead of just being abruptly cancelled at the end of the season? Or at the very least, quietly wrap up every one of its ongoing storylines and still end with a regular episode, leaving no cliffhangers whatsoever? Also, would this have meant actual series finales (like those of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, M*A*S*H, Cheers, and Friends) not feeling as special?

Let's say the decision to end production on I Love Lucy came during January or February of 1957. A one-hour series finale is produced in April and airs in May, so in the end, there's 182 episodes (two more than it has in real life). That decision would mean that we don't get the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours that aired throughout the next three years. Instead, Lucille Ball takes a five-year break from television and star in a couple of feature films and that Wildcat musical. I Love Lucy still becomes a major success in broadcast syndication to this day.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan

This could have been interesting: the Ricardos in what would appear to be an alternate universe.

Lucy asks, and Ricky immediately and without hesitation or argument decides to put Lucy in a show, and they collaborate and put on a great song and dance routine at Club Babalu. As a surprise Bob Hope is in the audience, and Ricky invites him up, and the three do a comedy routine.

Fred decides to buy Ethel new furniture for the guest house, and a mink coat.

Lucy tells Ricky she has balanced the couple's budget, and as a reward he decides to buy her another Don Loper original.

In the next-to-final scene Lucy's mother visits, Ricky welcomes her, she calls him Ricky, and announces she's taking care of Little Ricky while.... (Ricky takes it)

"I'm taking you on a two month vacation to Hawaii." The whole cast does a curtain call, and the final scene shows a plane taking off for Hawaii.

As was said there would be no one hour specials to follow. It might have meant the Lucy Show would begin a year or two earlier. That could have made the first season be totally different, because Gale Gordon would possibly have been available for it.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote