Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Could a Looming Strike Shut Down TV Production?; GAC Family Acquires Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Silver Spoons, and More
Dickinson Final Season Date Announced; Superstar: Robin Williams to Air Next Week (Oct. 20)
Antenna TV's Bewitched 24-Hour Halloween Marathon; Rewind TV's Sabrina Witch-O-Ween Marathon
Head of the Class Reboot Premieres Nov. 4, Guest Stars Robin Givens; The Bear Coming to FX
CBS Picks Up First 2 New Series for Full Seasons; On My Block Spinoff Series Cast Set
Netflix Orders That '90s Show Featuring Red and Kitty; Nash Bridges Movie Premieres Nov. 27 on USA Network
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 11, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June-October)

Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release)

06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - The Neighborhood - Season Three
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Deluxe Edition (100 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Standard Edition (50 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/24 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season 2
09/07 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
10/19 - Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #31
Heenan Fan
Forum Veteran

Andy Sipowicz officially became the main character on NYPD Blue after Bobby Simone died, although Andy was always the main character from day one in my opinion. Both David Caruso and Jimmy Smits always got top billing before that.

OK, you hot a pencil? I want 20 pounds, no make that 40 pounds of your best ribs, THE JUMBOS! And I want some BBQ sauce...a GALLON!

I'm having a party. My mother's out on parole." - Hawkeye
Heenan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #32
denny
Occasional Poster

Clint Eastwood in the last year of Rawhide after Eric Fleming left.
denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #33
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny View Post
Clint Eastwood in the last year of Rawhide after Eric Fleming left.
Clint Eastwood must have just been getting started out then to have second billing to Eric Fleming. I had never heard of him.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #34
denny
Occasional Poster

The main reason you never heard of Eric Fleming was because he passed away a year after Rawhide went off.
denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:43 PM   #35
Duster76
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by favoriteshow View Post
Go re-read my comment:
8 Simple Rules didn't last that long after John Ritter passed away, so it's hard to say Katey Sagal took much lead, although she was the sole parent. It also was a tragic circumstance and the show was too tied to John Ritter. They did add James Garner and David Spade, but the series was moved and cancelled in a season.

You chose to skip over my comment, so let me repeat it again: ABC didn't provide much lead for Katey Sagal, if it introduced James Garner and David Spade in the cast. And the show got cancelled pretty quickly.

ABC didn't want to do a single mom raising her kids show. Add some other relative adults living in the house, and those who are famous actors too?

Happy Days lasted many years with Fonz as lead after Rich left. Of course, duration and actual lead matters.
I'll take another shot at this, in reverse order:

Fonzie (Winkler) was the lead character years before Richie (Howard) left the series, there can't be any serious question of that fact. Winkler discussed the change and the subsequent conversation he had with Howard who wanted what was best for the show (Howard wasn't happy but what could he say, the show worked better and was more successful). As far as billing is concerned, those arrangements are worked out before the series began (in his book about Gilligan's Island Schwartz discusses the nuances of these agreements).

With respect to 8 Simple Rules, Segal was the lead after the passing of Ritter.
The fact that they added additional characters that became regulars doesn't change that fact.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:15 AM   #36
TMC
Forum Legend

I don't necessarily think that Charmed fits the bill, since it was always more of an ensemble show. But (since I had already mentioned Shannen Doherty concerning 90210) on that, Piper became the defacto leader of the "Charmed Ones" after Prue died. Holly Marie Combs even got a special "And ..." credit come Season 4. And Alyssa Milano went from being the last billed sister to being first after Shannen Doherty's departure.

On Sliders, Cleavant Derricks became this by default when by the fifth and last season, he was the only original cast member who was still left. Jerry O'Connell had departed after the prior season.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:22 AM   #37
TMC
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by favoriteshow View Post
It's much more Darlene as the central person.
Now that I thought about it, if you consider Season 1 of Fuller House to be Season 9 of Full House, then there's DJ replacing Danny as the central character.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:00 AM   #38
Fallon97
Forum Regular

Charlie's Angels - After Kate Jackson left, Jaclyn Smith went from being the last billed Angel to being the first billed and the lead of the show.
Fallon97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:46 AM   #39
treky
star trek fan
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2364 View Post
I don't agree with some of these. For example, no one was really the "star" of ER. It was a solid ensemble show with all the major characters/actors each getting their turn in the spotlight.

Jimmy Walker and Henry Walker were breakout stars, but I don't think they ever became the "leads" in the sense that you're talking about. No one thinks of Good Times becoming "The Jimmy Walker/JJ Show" once John Amos left or Happy Days becoming "The Henry Winkler/Fonz Show" once Ron Howard left.
HAPPY DAYS became "The Fonzie show" in the 2nd season (which is when it "jumped the shark")

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #40
Edward216
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky View Post
HAPPY DAYS became "The Fonzie show" in the 2nd season (which is when it "jumped the shark")
I couldn't disagree more with that statement if I tried. I'm not saying it never "jumped the shark" but I strongly disagree that Happy Days was a bad show by the 2nd season. I think Happy Days was a better show than a lot of people give it credit for.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #41
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward216 View Post
I couldn't disagree more with that statement if I tried. I'm not saying it never "jumped the shark" but I strongly disagree that Happy Days was a bad show by the 2nd season. I think Happy Days was a better show than a lot of people give it credit for.

Ed.
I agree Happy Days was a great show. If anything the 1st season might have been one of the weakest when Fonzie's role wasn't fully developed yet. And viewers must have liked it throughout too for Happy Days to last 11 seasons. Very few sitcoms come close to that longevity.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:17 AM   #42
TMC
Forum Legend

I don't know if Mom counts, but the show was originally meant to focus on Anna Faris' character. Basically, it was intended to be a show about about a divorced mother in AA dealing with her ex-husband, previously estranged mother, kids, and job. But by the end of it, it was really about Allison Janney's character and her AA friends. Even when Anna Faris was still on the show, her kids and ex-husband were long out of the picture.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #43
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Although the show is an ensemble, on Showtime's The Chi, the original lead was Jason Mitchell as Brandon. He was fired after sexual misconduct just after the second season.

The show continued for another two seasons and renewed for a fifth season. It will last longer without Brandon and few other originals. I think that Emmett, who was present since season 1 is the lead, or a lead, but it's hard to count for how many minutes each character gets per season, as it's an ensemble. And there is more woman character representation, a transgender added also, and the show has become more like a Black primetime soap opera when originally, it was compared to The Wire, a very different type of show.
favoriteshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:08 AM   #44
TMC
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heenan Fan View Post
Emma Kenney as Debs became the lead female character on shameless this season after Emmy Rossum as Fiona left the show.
Since there isn't a Shameless board...:
Emma Kenney: Shameless set "became a more positive place" after Emmy Rossum's left the show

Kenney called out her former co-star, whom she hasn't spoken to in more two years, on the Call Her Daddy podcast. “It was weird at first for sure but it also… the set became more of a positive place, I’m not gonna lie," Kenney said of Rossum's exit, according to Hollywood Life. "I remember pre (Rossum) leaving, I’d go to set some days and I’d be very anxious about having a scene with her because if she had a bad day, she made it a bad day for everybody.” It wasn’t always bad blood between the two, however, as Kenney felt like she had a “sister relationship” with Rossum when the two started filming together. "Growing up I definitely took a note from — not just her in particular — but people and things that I want to carry on in my life and things I do not want to carry on in my life," Kenney said during her podcast. Still, Kenney says she has no bad feelings for Rossum. “I have a lot of love for Emmy, I’ve known her for so long," says Kenney. "We haven’t spoken in years. But that’s okay. I have a lot of love for her, and I hope she finds her happiness.”

Last edited by TMC; 10-14-2021 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #45
king of comedy
Forum 4K Club Member

A Differant World when Lisa Bonet left after season 1 and Jasmine Guy stepped in
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote