Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane
WarnerMedia Announces HBO Max for 2020 with Friends, Fresh Prince & More; IMDb Gets First Scripted Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-01-2004, 08:34 PM   #196
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Cool "Once there was a way to get back homeward. . . ."

On this day in 1969, October 1, the Beatles released Abbey Road in the United States. (Abbey Road had been issued in the United Kingdom on September 26, five days earlier.)

Except for a few recordings made in January 1970 to finish up Let It Be, Abbey Road was the last collection of recordings that the Beatles would ever make together.

Abbey Road sold five million copies in the United States, making it their best selling U.S. album ever. George Harrison's "Something," the single from the album, became the Beatles's third-largest selling single in the United States (after "Hey Jude" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand").

Miscellaneous Musings

Pictures of Beautiful Women

Top model Pat Cleveland has colon cancer and needs help to pay for treatment. Go to her GoFundMe page here: https://www.gofundme.com/pat-cleveland-fund
Steve M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:00 PM   #197
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Send a message via MSN to musicradio77 Send a message via Yahoo to musicradio77
Post Forgot to Go Back 16 Years Ago Last Month

Whoops! I forgot to go back 16 years ago. It was September 22nd, 1988. A frequency swap that eventually took place in New York City. First, WYNY 97.1 (also known as "Country 97") moved its dial position to 103.5 and then 103.5 "Hot 103" also moved its dial position down to 97.1. That's why NBC sold it to Emmis Broadcasting while NBC corporate bought by GE from RCA (before the network also purchased by Universal Studios). Emmis is still a broadcasting company who currently owns some stations in New York City like WQHT, WRKS and WQCD. There you go. I found it on that site for "Format Change Archive". If you want to hear the station swaping, click here to hear what happened.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #198
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Talking "Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

Eighteen years ago yesterday, October 4, 1986, CBS newsman Dan Rather was accosted by a well-dressed man who subsequently beat him up while repeatedly shouting, "Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

Eight years later, R.E.M. included a song inspired by the incident, "What's The Frequency, Kenneth," on their Monster album. The song was a satire of mass news media, and Dan Rather himself enjoyed the song and hung out with Michael Stipe. He jokingly insisted that the band's name stands for "Rather's Electric Minstrels." (In fact, it was taken from an acronym meaning "rapid eye movement.")

In 1997, the man who beat up Rather - a deranged fellow who harassed famous media personalities because he thought they were involved in some kind of mind-control plot or something - was apprehended.

Last edited by Steve M.; 11-01-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:05 PM   #199
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Cool 10/5/62 - "Love Me Do" out in the UK!

On this day in 1962, October 5, the Beatles, after two separate recording sessions and two separate drummers, the Beatles finally released "Love Me Do" in Britain. The single sold best in Liverpool - naturally - and rose to number seventeen in the Britiah singles charts.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:36 PM   #200
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Unhappy 16 Years Ago Tomorrow, 10/7/88 The Date Which Will Live In Infamy

16 years ago, tomorrow. October 7th, 1988. The date which wil live in infamy. That's right! I'm talking about 66 WNBC. The station has been ruled the airwaves for 66 years are finally come to an end. It all started with a special looking back at 66 years of WNBC. Reelradio has a section on the first 66 years of a great radio station. Here is the link.

WNBC: The First 66 Years

It all started at 12:10 PM until 1:40 PM. It was a spectacular 90-minute documentry about WNBC. Terry Carman wrote about it according to the Reelradio site:

Quote:
This is an aircheck from the day the music died: "WNBC - The First 66 Years". It was contributed by Peter Kanze who provided the bulk of actualities and airchecks for the special, which is narrated by Dale Parsons. Dale is now in Hawaii, doing consulting, voiceovers and enoying the weather.

I remember sitting in my car, in the rain, listening to Alan Colmes do the final ID. They played the NBC chimes (the musical notes G-E-C, for General Electric Company)... followed by the start of Sports Radio 66 - WFAN.
WNBC started in 1922 as WEAF and then in the 30's and 40's came an era of such radio classics like Burns & Allen, Jack Benny and a bunch of others. After the special documentry came Alan Colmes who did his final show on WNBC featuring the cast of many like Bruce Morrow, Joe McCoy and a bunch of others and finally ended with Alan Colmes saying his last words on WNBC after 66 years. You should listen to it here. This is a sad one.

The Last 45 Minutes of WNBC

General Electric (who by then owned NBC now owns Universal Studios) decided to sell of its radio properties around the country including Emmis who now owns a couple of NYC stations like WQHT, WRKS and WQCD.

(Airchecks courtesy of musicradio77.com and reelradio.com)
musicradio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 02:46 PM   #201
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Default Harry Harrison is Back!!!

On this date, October 9th, 2004:

After 1 year of hosting his last weekday morning show on CBS-FM, Harry Harrison is back on CBS-FM to do his Saturday morning show. Congratulations!!!

WELCOME BACK, HARRY HARRISON!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2004, 02:12 PM   #202
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Unhappy 10/13/73 - Family's Last Concert

On this day in 1973, October 13, the British rock band Family played their final concert in their hometown of Leicester, at DeMontfort Hall on the campus of the Leicester Polytechnic (now DeMontfort University).

During the show, Roger Chapman fell off the stage while singing "Burlesque." And when they performed "The Weaver's Answer" for what would be the last time, drummer Rob Townsend thought to himself, "I'm glad I don't ever have to play that damn song again!"

At the after-show party at the Leicester Holiday Inn, people jumped in the pool; those who didn't were pushed in. Food and drink literally flew everywhere. Family indeed went out with a bang!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:28 PM   #203
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Exclamation "Paul Is Dead, Miss Him"

35 years ago this past Tuesday, October 12:

October 12, 1969. Just another Sunday in Detroit. Suddenly, in the middle of Russ Gibb's radio show on WKNR-FM, an anonymous caller urges Gibb to play cuts from the Beatles's White Album backwards and to listen carfeully to the fadeouts of other Beatles tunes. Gibb thinks he hears "I buried Paul" at the end of "Strawberry Fields Forever," and hears "Paul is dead, miss him, miss him" when he plays the end of "I'm So Tired" backwards. The voice uttering "number nine" on "Revolution 9" says "eh neon rebmun" backwards, but it sounds more like "Turn me on, dead man" to Gibb. The piano backing the voice at the beginning of "Revolution 9" takes on an eerie, funereal tone when played in reverse.

Soon, visual "clues" pop up in pictures, showing Paul McCartney in a casket-like trunk, Paul wearing a black lapel flower, Paul sitting behind a sign that says, "I WAS YOU. . . ."

The "Paul McCartney Is Dead" rumors have begun!
Old 10-17-2004, 12:14 AM   #204
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Default Re: "Paul Is Dead, Miss Him"

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M.
35 years ago this past Tuesday, October 12:

October 12, 1969. Just another Sunday in Detroit. Suddenly, in the middle of Russ Gibb's radio show on WKNR-FM, an anonymous caller urges Gibb to play cuts from the Beatles's White Album backwards and to listen carfeully to the fadeouts of other Beatles tunes. Gibb thinks he hears "I buried Paul" at the end of "Strawberry Fields Forever," and hears "Paul is dead, miss him, miss him" when he plays the end of "I'm So Tired" backwards. The voice uttering "number nine" on "Revolution 9" says "eh neon rebmun" backwards, but it sounds more like "Turn me on, dead man" to Gibb. The piano backing the voice at the beginning of "Revolution 9" takes on an eerie, funereal tone when played in reverse.

Soon, visual "clues" pop up in pictures, showing Paul McCartney in a casket-like trunk, Paul wearing a black lapel flower, Paul sitting behind a sign that says, "I WAS YOU. . . ."

The "Paul McCartney Is Dead" rumors have begun!
Tha was 35 years ago this week. I have a few Beatles albums like "Sgt. Pepper", "Magical Mystery Tour", "White Album" and "Abbey Road". I looked at the album covers and I played some of the elements about the Paul McCartney's death rumor. One of my favorite cuts from the "White Album" was "Revolution 9". I played it in reverse since I touched the label with my finger, as I know, I have a turntable and a the "White Album" on vinyl. That's where Paul McCartney's death rumor started 35 years ago this week.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:32 PM   #205
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

On this day in 1781, October 19, George Washington's Continental Army and the French navy defeated the British at the battle of Yorktown, ending the American Revolution. The musical connection? At the surrender, the Redcoats played the English traditional song "The World Turned Upside Down."

Last edited by Steve M.; 10-20-2004 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:13 AM   #206
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

On this day in 2001, October 20, Paul McCartney staged, at New York's Madison Square Garden, the Concert For New York City, benefitting rescue and recovery efforts at the World Trade Center site where the Twin Towers had been felled in terror attacks 39 days earlier. McCartney performed last, and David Bowie opened the show, which included perfromances from Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, the Who, Melissa Etheridge, Macy Gray, and Five For Fighting, among others. Nonmusical perfromers included Howard Stern and Will Ferrell (as George W. Bush), and short films from Edward Burns, Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen, and Jerry Seinfeld were screened.

Jim Carrey introduced Macca. Actor Richard Gere got booed for asking for peace, love and understanding, and Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY), who introduced Seinfeld's film, got booed simply for being herself.

Last edited by Steve M.; 10-20-2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:57 PM   #207
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Default 35 Years Ago Today

It was on this date, today, October 21st, 1969, Roby Yonge has left Musicradio WABC. That show lasted about one year because of his remarks about "Paul McCartney is Dead" rumor. Over 30 states had some of its rumors that the death of Paul McCartney was false. Here is a clip of Roby's last show featuring many of its rumors.

Roby Yonge's Last Show - 1969

(Aircheck courtesy of musicradio77.com)

Last edited by musicradio77; 10-21-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:28 AM   #208
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Cool Diz!

Four score and seven - 87 - years ago yesterday - October 21, 1917 - jazz great John Berks "Dizzy" Gillespie was born.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #209
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Talking I never forget to go to the Met!

On this day in 1883, October 22, the New York Metropolitan Opera held its grand opening with a performance of Gounod's "Faust."
Old 10-29-2004, 09:00 PM   #210
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Cool LET THE SUN SHINE IN!!

On this day in 1967, October 29, the hippie musical "Hair" premeired on Broadway - the first Broadway musical to feature a nude scene!