Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cartoons/Animated Series Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Max Renews The Sex Lives of College Girls; Retta's HGTV Series Debuts Jan. 3
Freeform Acquires The Office Starting January 2022; 27th Annual Critics Choice Awards Nominees
getTV Acquires The Rockford Files, Here Come the Brides; Disney's Secrets of Sulphur Springs Premieres Jan. 14
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 6, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Kevin Can F*** Himself and Pen15 Cancelled; The Waltons' Homecoming Brings Ratings High to The CW
Fri-Yay: Itís Always Sunny Returns, Bold and Funny as Ever; Jon Stewart Joins Live in Front of a Studio Audience for The Facts of Life; Remembering Eddie Mekka of Laverne & Shirley
Rewind TV January 2022 Schedule Includes Drew Carey, NewsRadio; HBO's Somebody Somewhere Premieres Jan. 16

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October-December)

Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Mom - The Eighth and Final Season Punky Brewster (1984-88) - The Complete Series (2021 Release) I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

10/19 - Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
11/02 - The Honeymooners Specials - A Christmas Carol
11/02 - Mom - The Eighth and Final Season
11/02 - Punky Brewster - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
11/02 - Sex and the City - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
11/09 - Saved by the Bell (2020) - Season One
11/09 - Younger - The Complete Series
11/16 - Kevin Can F*** Himself - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
11/23 - Dead Pixels - Seasons One and Two
11/30 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) (2021 Release) (Blu-ray)
12/07 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
12/07 - Rick & Morty - Season 5 (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray Limited Edition Steelbook)
12/14 - The Abbott and Costello Show - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
12/14 - Letterkenny - Season 9
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-07-2021, 06:51 AM   #796
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Toon In With Me - Thu. 10/7/21 - New Episode 186 "Yee Howdy Hoodang!"

Devil's Feud Cake (Bugs - 1963 - Freleng)
A Hick, A Slick, and a Chick (WB - 1948 - Art Davis) - first time on MeTV
Hobby Horse-Laffs (WB - 1942 - Norman McCabe) - also a first-timer
A Broken Leghorn (Foghorn Leghorn - 1959 - McKimson)
Pink on the Cob (Pink Panther - 1969 - Hawley Pratt)
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #797
Mr. Grynch
Frequent Poster

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Toon In With Me - Thu. 10/7/21 - New Episode 186 "Yee Howdy Hoodang!"

Devil's Feud Cake (Bugs - 1963 - Freleng)
A Hick, A Slick, and a Chick (WB - 1948 - Art Davis) - first time on MeTV
Hobby Horse-Laffs (WB - 1942 - Norman McCabe) - also a first-timer
A Broken Leghorn (Foghorn Leghorn - 1959 - McKimson)
Pink on the Cob (Pink Panther - 1969 - Hawley Pratt)
First time I've seen that kind of sizing on the M-F show. Wonder why they did that? I must have missed Leghorn the first time thru. Was it sized that way back whenever it was shown?
Mr. Grynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #798
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

The original Foggy showing was Sat. 1/16/21 (and by the way, they still haven't edited that cartoon for a certain Foggy one-liner). I checked the DVD from that and it looks identical to today--way too large and "zoomed in." In other words, aspect ratio way off.

On my main cable box, from which I can't record, it looked OK. It filled the screen, which the cartoons normally don't.

I wonder if some of these differences in the cartoons is between Academy ratio and CinemaScope, etc.

I'm about to try ordering the Xdimax Grex so I might be able to copy off my main cable box.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #799
Mr. Grynch
Frequent Poster

Quote:
The original Foggy showing was Sat. 1/16/21 (and by the way, they still haven't edited that cartoon for a certain Foggy one-liner). I checked the DVD from that and it looks identical to today--way too large and "zoomed in." In other words, aspect ratio way off.

On my main cable box, from which I can't record, it looked OK. It filled the screen, which the cartoons normally don't.

I wonder if some of these differences in the cartoons is between Academy ratio and CinemaScope, etc.

I'm about to try ordering the Xdimax Grex so I might be able to copy off my main cable box.
My recording from this morning was missing just one of the far right quotation marks. I never thought to check my Saturday list...it was there.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:46 AM   #800
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Toon In With Me - Fri. 10/8/21 - New Episode 187 "Fan-Tastic Friday #6"

Jumpin' Jupiter (Porky, Sylvester - 1955 - Jones)
Plastered in Paris (The Inspector - 1966 - Gerry Chiniquy)
Early to Bet (WB - 1951 - McKimson)
The Uninvited Pest (Barney Bear - 1943 - Rudolf Ising)
Daffy Duck and Egghead (1938 - Tex Avery)
Old 10-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #801
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Bugs Bunny & Friends - Sat. 10/9/21

Spaced Out Bunny (Bugs - 1980 - Jones) - a cartoon pulled from the 1980 TV special Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over. The full special is on Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVD, Volume 5.

Louvre Come Back To Me (Pepe Le Pew - 1962 - Jones, co-director Maurice Noble) - standard formula Pepe cartoon. For some reason these 1960s Pepes have been rare in recent years, and this one is a MeTV first-timer. Co-director due to Jones being busy on The Bugs Bunny Show in 1961, plus perhaps a little moonlighting that got him fired from Warners in 1962.

Wild and Woolly Hare (Bugs, Yosemite Sam - 1959 - Freleng) - Freleng used Sam in all kinds of roles, but here he goes back to his "roots." Not a frequently seen cartoon until MeTV.

Wild Wife (Misc. - 1954 - McKimson) - a pretty funny entry--look for one of the funniest jokes from one Casper Fragile. Definitely a cartoon of the 50s, but the lout of a husband gets his in the end. Voices of Blanc and Bea Benaderet. First time on MeTV.

The Slick Chick (Foghorn Leghorn - 1962 - McKimson) - Foggy takes on Junior, widow hen's little son, again.

Sandy Claws (Sylvester, Tweety - 1955 - Freleng) - this chase is at the beach and uses all the pitfalls there. An Academy Award nominee, I can find no record of this having been previously shown on MeTV.

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Bunny (Bugs - 1980 - Jones) - part of a 1980 TV special and never fitted with credits as a separate cartoon, this, like Spaced Out Bunny, still carries the title card from CBS Saturday morning days

Last edited by stevea; 10-09-2021 at 08:48 AM. Reason: running order
Old 10-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #802
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Toon In With Me - Mon. 10/11/21 - New Episode 188 "Show & Tell Day #4"

Hare We Go (Bugs - 1951 - McKimson)
The Three Little Pups (Droopy - 1953 - Avery)
C0ck-A-Doodle Deux Deux (The Inspector - 1966 - McKimson)
The Fire Alarm (Ham & Ex, Beans - 1936 - Jack King)
Hop, Look and Listen (Sylvester - 1948 - McKimson)
Old 10-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #803
merlinjones
Forum Regular

Re: the Sunday evening cartoon block on Me-TV+:

I caught a bit of this yesterday. No host, no bumpers, no separation of studios, no theme, just random cartoons (from same collection of WB, MGM, UA, Fleischer/Famous)!!! Yay!
merlinjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #804
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Cool! They only need bumpers during kid hours. Dump the bumpers and openings/closings and they could probably squeeze in another cartoon.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #805
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Default The Mouse That Jack Built

It's evident MeTV is not going to show this cartoon.

It's a clever McKimson cartoon from the late 50s--the cast of the Jack Benny Program voices all the characters, which are animated mice. The whole cartoon turns out to be a dream of the live Jack Benny.

It's a dated cartoon, yes--many people today don't even know who Jack Benny was. Still, it's a funny cartoon.

So, why would it not be shown today? It has an animated mouse version of Rochester Anderson in it. Would they be afraid of this because the real Rochester was black? Why would this be a problem?
Old 10-11-2021, 04:39 PM   #806
Mr. Grynch
Frequent Poster

Quote:
It's evident MeTV is not going to show this cartoon.

It's a clever McKimson cartoon from the late 50s--the cast of the Jack Benny Program voices all the characters, which are animated mice. The whole cartoon turns out to be a dream of the live Jack Benny.

It's a dated cartoon, yes--many people today don't even know who Jack Benny was. Still, it's a funny cartoon.

So, why would it not be shown today? It has an animated mouse version of Rochester Anderson in it. Would they be afraid of this because the real Rochester was black? Why would this be a problem?
I'm guessing anytime there is a minority in a "servant" role, that's against the rules of what can be aired. I didn't see anything other than Rochester following Jack's orders. I believe that was Mel in the vault...
Old 10-11-2021, 05:26 PM   #807
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

That's probably it.

Yes, it was Mel. "Is the war over yet?"
Old 10-11-2021, 05:50 PM   #808
Alan Brady's Hair
Frequent Poster

Perhaps ironically, the real Eddie Anderson is playing Rochester on Jack Benny directly against MeTV's cartoons every morning. And Anderson himself supplied the voice of the cartoon mouse.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #809
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Yep, all the mouse characters were voiced by their human counterparts, and as mentioned Jack appears in live action at the end.

In the Wikipedia article on the cartoon, it states this was Mary Livingstone's last role. She retired in 1958 like her good friend Gracie Allen. She really appeared very few times on the Jack Benny (TV) Program due to over-the-top stage fright. Maybe it helped that voicing a cartoon isn't a stage appearance.

It's interesting the live-action sitcom character Rochester can appear on TV, but the animated cartoon one seemingly can't.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #810
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grynch View Post
I'm guessing anytime there is a minority in a "servant" role, that's against the rules of what can be aired. I didn't see anything other than Rochester following Jack's orders. I believe that was Mel in the vault...
"Mel"?
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote