Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cartoons/Animated Series Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Max Renews The Sex Lives of College Girls; Retta's HGTV Series Debuts Jan. 3
Freeform Acquires The Office Starting January 2022; 27th Annual Critics Choice Awards Nominees
getTV Acquires The Rockford Files, Here Come the Brides; Disney's Secrets of Sulphur Springs Premieres Jan. 14
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 6, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Kevin Can F*** Himself and Pen15 Cancelled; The Waltons' Homecoming Brings Ratings High to The CW
Fri-Yay: Itís Always Sunny Returns, Bold and Funny as Ever; Jon Stewart Joins Live in Front of a Studio Audience for The Facts of Life; Remembering Eddie Mekka of Laverne & Shirley
Rewind TV January 2022 Schedule Includes Drew Carey, NewsRadio; HBO's Somebody Somewhere Premieres Jan. 16

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October-December)

Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Mom - The Eighth and Final Season Punky Brewster (1984-88) - The Complete Series (2021 Release) I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

10/19 - Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
11/02 - The Honeymooners Specials - A Christmas Carol
11/02 - Mom - The Eighth and Final Season
11/02 - Punky Brewster - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
11/02 - Sex and the City - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
11/09 - Saved by the Bell (2020) - Season One
11/09 - Younger - The Complete Series
11/16 - Kevin Can F*** Himself - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
11/23 - Dead Pixels - Seasons One and Two
11/30 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) (2021 Release) (Blu-ray)
12/07 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
12/07 - Rick & Morty - Season 5 (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray Limited Edition Steelbook)
12/14 - The Abbott and Costello Show - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
12/14 - Letterkenny - Season 9
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #721
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Re Pink Panther I wonder if some of them aren't available to MeTV or were TV only and never remastered.

I look back at some of what I recorded off CN for Looney Tunes, and what's on MeTV is much better quality. I have Quick Draw sourced from Boomerang and I have hopes MeTV will add these cartoons, because Boomerang had horrible-quality masters. If not Quick Draw then some of the other Hanna-Barbera cartoons from that era.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #722
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grynch View Post
Yeah, the Who Scent You is one I only have on Boomer. 9 toons over the next two Saturdays are "new" or I have only on Boomer. Several have been shown already on m-f. Now I don't feel quite as bad, I thought I had missed Froggy on a Saturday showing. I know I missed the Past Perfumance & Rabbit Fire Saturday. I hope they keep the Saturday toons going whenever a schedule change comes along.
"Quentin Quail," a 40s Chuck Jones cartoon on Saturday 9/25, I have on a snowy copy from local TV in the 1980s. I'm looking forward to updating that one.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #723
Mr. Grynch
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
"Quentin Quail," a 40s Chuck Jones cartoon on Saturday 9/25, I have on a snowy copy from local TV in the 1980s. I'm looking forward to updating that one.
Completely agree. Looks like most of my Boomer toons were "squished" too much. I have Saturday as #1, then the M-F show and then my older Boomer versions. Sadly, the Saturday show probably isn't going to re-do all my M-F copies from the last "year". I'll keep hoping...

Mr. Grynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #724
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Most of my Cartoon Network recordings are full-screen, except the intros. which are letter-boxed. Later they converted to HD, and their SD feed is that horrible widescreen, with the black bars on top and bottom--the "scrunched" picture.

Then MeTV does all these gyrations with the picture, when they are standard definition (at least, all the digital sub-channels that transmit their signal are). I probably posted before that I use an old cable box for MeTV, called a DTA, which spreads the picture out, no black bars anywhere. The trade-off is the aspect ratio is too large, which means some of the picture is cut off on both sides.

I kinda wish Antenna TV had these cartoons, as (at least here) the equipment used for them is straight, plain old standard definition.

When HD came in there should have been a requirement for total compatibility, then we wouldn't have all these disparities.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:46 PM   #725
Mr. Grynch
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Most of my Cartoon Network recordings are full-screen, except the intros. which are letter-boxed. Later they converted to HD, and their SD feed is that horrible widescreen, with the black bars on top and bottom--the "scrunched" picture.

Then MeTV does all these gyrations with the picture, when they are standard definition (at least, all the digital sub-channels that transmit their signal are). I probably posted before that I use an old cable box for MeTV, called a DTA, which spreads the picture out, no black bars anywhere. The trade-off is the aspect ratio is too large, which means some of the picture is cut off on both sides.

I kinda wish Antenna TV had these cartoons, as (at least here) the equipment used for them is straight, plain old standard definition.

When HD came in there should have been a requirement for total compatibility, then we wouldn't have all these disparities.
My area OTA for metv is in HD. However, it's the weakest channel. I haven't even checked to see how they look. It would be quite rare for the picture to be pristine for 6-7 minutes. If dish went to hd, I might be able to make the picture look like the Saturday view...which would be nice!
Old 09-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #726
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Toon In With Me - Thu. 9/16/21 - New Episode No. 175 "Bonky Has a Blanky"

The Foxy Duckling (WB Misc. - 1947 - Art Davis)
Swing Ding Amigo (Daffy, Speedy - 1966 - McKimson)
Sleepy-Time Squirrel (Barney Besr - 1954 - Dick Lundy)
We Give Pink Stamps (Pink Panther - 1965 - Freleng, Pratt)
Golden Yeggs (Porky, Daffy - 1950 - Freleng)
Old 09-16-2021, 11:59 PM   #727
Mr. Grynch
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Re Pink Panther I wonder if some of them aren't available to MeTV or were TV only and never remastered.

I look back at some of what I recorded off CN for Looney Tunes, and what's on MeTV is much better quality. I have Quick Draw sourced from Boomerang and I have hopes MeTV will add these cartoons, because Boomerang had horrible-quality masters. If not Quick Draw then some of the other Hanna-Barbera cartoons from that era.
Seems to be at the end of the PP & Friends run. They've only shown PP from 64-69 and there are only 5 not shown from that time-span.

Quick Draw---Snagglepuss etc. Love to see the Laff-a-lympics come back around. I'd say it's almost a given they're going to go with two seasons of Scooby-Doo.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #728
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Toon In With Me - Fri. 9/17/21 - New Episode No. 176 "Fan-Tastic Friday #3"

Tweet Tweet Tweety (Tweety, Sylvester - 1951 - Freleng)
Neapolitan Mouse (Tom & Jerry - 1954 - Hanna & Barbera)
Long-Haired Hare (Bugs - 1949 - Jones)
The Bee-Deviled Bruin (The Three Bears - 1949 - Jones) - probably first time on MeTV
Sky Blue Pink (Pink Panther - 1968 - Pratt)
Old 09-17-2021, 08:43 PM   #729
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Bugs Bunny and Friends - Sat. 9/18/21

The Million Hare (Bugs, Daffy - 1963 - McKimson) - similar to People Are Bunny a few years before.

The Pest That Came to Dinner (Porky - 1948 - Art Davis) - Porky vs. a termite. This is another one not often seen on TV, most likely not in the Saturday morning network package. Story by George Hill (who's he?). Blue Ribbon reissued in the late 50s, this has been restored to original Looney Tunes form. MeTV debut. [There appears to be a mastering mistake where Porky shouts something to Sureshot at the top of the stairs (like "Go ahead, plug it in!") and there's no audio. Or, it could be edited out.] [I checked the Porky Pig and Friends DVD--same; I checked an old Beta tape from the 1980s--same. If this is a mistake it's been there for a long time. It may be original--there is also an editing mistake in the cartoon Muscle Tussle, and that's the only other one I know.]

A Bird in a Bonnet (Tweety, Sylvester - 1958 - Freleng) - a typical Tweety cartoon. Can't help but wonder how much better it would have been with a Franklyn score rather than canned music--this is one of 6 cartoons affected by a musician strike. Probably the third time around on MeTV, for some reason.

Hot Cross Bunny (Bugs - 1948 - McKimson) - one of McKimson's funnier toons. One of a few mid-century Bugs cartoons restored to original form after having been Blue Ribbon reissued in November 1959.

Really Scent (Pepe Le Pew - 1959 - Abe Levitow) - kudos to Maltese, who probably thought something different was needed in this series. So we have narration by June Foray, describing love in old New Orleans, where Fabrette is stuck with a "calamity of nature." Note father Pierre is pacing, awaiting the birth, with a cigarette. Non! CN weel not have zees! So, not often seen there, plus not in zee network syndication packages.

Roughly Squeaking (1946 - Jones) - early Hubie and Bertie, mice that have great ability to put one over on various cats (check out The Hypo-Condri-Cat from 1950 on the Golden Collection 1 DVD--still waiting on MeTV for that one). Originally a Looney Tune, this was Blue Ribbon reissued without credits. Story by Michael Maltese and Tedd Pierce. First time on MeTV.

Robot Rabbit (Bugs, Elmer Fudd - 1953 - Freleng) - probably only the second time around on MeTV, this is a pretty funny entry. Freleng reused these robot gags (he's the king of reused gags) but this is the first one.

Last edited by stevea; 09-18-2021 at 02:07 PM. Reason: running order
Old 09-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #730
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Attn. toonsters -- there are a few reruns of Toon in with Me in the next two weeks. I have a running schedule on screen 29, post 422.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:56 PM   #731
Mario500
Forum Regular

"The Hannah & Fred Show -- September 19, 2021" (video)
(note: parts of the video to which the quotation directly above applies could be found between these points of its length: 00:00 - 24:02)

Last edited by Mario500; 09-20-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:51 AM   #732
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Toon In With Me - Mon. 9/20/21 - New Episode No. 177 "Bill's Famous"

Oily Hare (Bugs - 1952 - McKimson)
Banty Raids (Foghorn Leghorn - 1963 - McKimson) - story by Robert McKimson and Nick Bennion
Parlez Vous Woo (Popeye - 1956 - Izzy Sparber)
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Pink (Pink Panther - 1968 - Hawley Pratt)
Bingo Crosbyana (WB Misc. - 1936 - Freleng) - wow! Postponed for around 6 months, here it is. Bing didn't like it back in the day, sued, and failed
Old 09-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #733
Mr. Grynch
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Toon In With Me - Mon. 9/20/21 - New Episode No. 177 "Bill's Famous"

Oily Hare (Bugs - 1952 - McKimson)
Banty Raids (Foghorn Leghorn - 1963 - McKimson) - story by Robert McKimson and Nick Bennion
Parlez Vous Woo (Popeye - 1956 - Izzy Sparber)
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Pink (Pink Panther - 1968 - Hawley Pratt)
Bingo Crosbyana (WB Misc. - 1936 - Freleng) - wow! Postponed for around 6 months, here it is. Bing didn't like it back in the day, sued, and failed
Just 4 PP from 64-69 left unaired & only 1 Inspector not shown.

Very surprised, thought we had lost our shot at Bingo. Didn't know it was from
the 30's. Had a glitch on mine @ 7:18. Was that my feed or did everyone have that?

Last edited by Mr. Grynch; 09-20-2021 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Question Added
Old 09-20-2021, 03:51 PM   #734
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Here's a Warner Bros. cartoon quiz I made up:

Can you identify these names?

1. Giovanni Jones

2. Claude

3. Sniffles

4. Thomas

5. Marc Anthony or Marc Antony

6. Ravishing Ronald

7. Pete Puma

8. Heathcliff

9. Dodsworth

10. Dripalong

Answers tomorrow, with the Toon In With Me update, which will be late unless another "Toonster" provides it!
Old 09-20-2021, 03:51 PM   #735
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grynch View Post
Just 4 PP from 64-69 left unaired & only 1 Inspector not shown.

Very surprised, thought we had lost our shot at Bingo. Didn't know it was from
the 30's. Had a glitch on mine @ 7:18. Was that my feed or did everyone have that?
Must have been your feed--I had no glitch.