Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Good Times links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Good Times Photo Gallery

Good Times - The Complete First Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete First Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Second Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Third Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Series

Buy Good Times - The Complete Series on DVD
Good Times - Season One (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season One (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - Season Two (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season Two (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - Season Three (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season Three (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - Season Four (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season Four (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Good Times

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Upfront 2022-23: Fall 2022 Schedule; Fox Upfront 2022-23: Call Me Kat and Welcome to Flatch Renewed
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 16, 2022)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Looking at Fall Renewals and Cancellations; Married... with Children Animated Reboot in the Works
NBC Renews 3 Sitcoms, Cancels 2; CBS and The CW Hand Out Orders & Pink Slips; Remembering Mike Hagerty and Producer/Writer George Yanok
NBC Orders Lopez vs. Lopez Sitcom for 2022-23 Season; Amazon Renews Upload for Season 3
Disney's Bunk'd Returns June 10 for Season 6; Paramount+ to Be Exclusive SVOD Home of Ghosts
MeTV Network Adds The A-Team for The Summer of Me; HBO Max Renews Two Comedies for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-May)

ALT= Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series (2022 Release) Brooklyn Nine-Nine - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Fourth Season Becker - The Complete Series (2022 Release)

02/08 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Ninth Season
02/22 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series (2022 Release)
02/22 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series (2022 Release)
03/08 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Eight
03/08 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) (DVD)
03/15 - Head of the Class - The Complete Fourth Season
03/15 - The Proud Family - The Complete Original Series - Anniversary Collection
03/22 - The Honeymooners Specials - The Complete Collection
03/29 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-5 (Blu-ray) (DVD)
03/29 - Young Rock - Season One
04/05 - Up All Night - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/26 - The Danny Thomas Show (aka Make Room for Daddy) - The Complete Fourth Season
04/26 - Jackie Gleason TV Treasures - 70th Anniversary Collection (including Honeymooners Rarities)
05/03 - No Activity - Season Three
05/31 - Becker - The Complete Series (2022 Release)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Search Sitcoms Online:

View Poll Results: Is Good Times a Spinoff of Maude?
Yes 75 81.52%
No 11 11.96%
Undecided 6 6.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #736
Alan Brady's Hair
Forum Regular

Quote:
No way that Good Times isn’t a spinoff, after the Florida Evans character appeared on Maude, after John Amos appeared on Maude playing Florida’s husband, and after Florida mentioned being a maid on Good Times.
Do you understand that when you start by referencing a character, and then in mid-sentence you change to reference an actor, that you're undermining your own argument? John Amos's character obviously wasn't carried over from one show to the other.

Quote:
Good Times is so obviously connected to Maude in every way.
But it obviously wasn't. The quote above lists literally all of the connections that are even claimed between the two shows.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #737
JR1
Forum Regular

Spin-offs usually feature characters (in some cases, a concept) that came from the parent show. Florida Evans was a supporting character in Maude; the same character was spun-off into her own show.

What I don't think of as technical spin-offs are shows in a franchise, in which none of the stars originally appeared on the original show- think 911 and Lone Star. The show premiered without any of the characters having appeared on the original show; there was reference to a character n the show, I believe, and there was a crossover later, but...

Empty Nest is considered a spin-off of The Golden Girls, as there was a pilot episode featuring the concept; that one was crapped, and the concept was later retooled for the 1988 premiere of the show.
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:09 PM   #738
TVLegend
Forum 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair View Post
Do you understand that when you start by referencing a character, and then in mid-sentence you change to reference an actor, that you're undermining your own argument? John Amos's character obviously wasn't carried over from one show to the other.

But it obviously wasn't. The quote above lists literally all of the connections that are even claimed between the two shows.
lol so I guess it’s a coincidence that there was a Florida Evans on both Maude and Good Times. I guess it’s a coincidence, once again, that John Amos played this “Florida Evans’s” husband” on BOTH shows, yeah, NOOOOO way they have anything to do with each other. The actors of Good Times said it was a spinoff, Norman Lear himself said so, but I guess I’ll take the viewers word for it. The viewers who had nothing to do with the show except for watching it.

Seriously, this lifelong debate needs to be put to rest. It’s like a debilitating cancer that keeps coming back.
TVLegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:11 PM   #739
TVLegend
Forum 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
Spin-offs usually feature characters (in come cases, a concept) that came from the parent show. Florida Evans was a supporting character in Maude; the same character was spun-off into her own show.

What I don't think of as technical spin-offs are shows in a franchise, in which none of the stars originally appeared on the original show- think 911 and Lone Star. The show premiered without any of the characters having appeared on the original show; there was reference to a character n the show, I believe, and there was a crossover later, but...

Empty Nest is considered a spin-off of The Golden Girls, as there was a pilot episode featuring the concept; that one was crapped, and the concept was later retooled for the 1988 premiere of the show.
Exactly. But apparently there’s no way possible a woman, a sitcom character, keep in mind, can move from one show, that was set in New York, to go onto another show, that was set in Chicago, and the other show still be considered a spinoff of the first show.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #740
TVFactFan
Forum Junkie

I thought this statement by the executive producer would end the debate lol

It's not really a spinoff because it was one character and we changed that character
TVFactFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:25 PM   #741
TVLegend
Forum 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan View Post
I thought this statement by the executive producer would end the debate lol

It's not really a spinoff because it was one character and we changed that character
Wait, who was the executive producer?
Old 02-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #742
TVFactFan
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Expert View Post
Wait, who was the executive producer?
When this debate first started I mailed a copy of the article to one of the members in this group. The executive producer was Alan Manings and he made the statement and that still wasnt good enough lol
Old 02-13-2022, 04:30 PM   #743
TVLegend
Forum 3000 Club Member

Quote:
When this debate first started I mailed a copy of the article to one of the members in this group. The executive producer was Alan Manings and he made the statement and that still wasnt good enough lol
EXACTLY, this executive producer wasn’t no Norman Lear or Eric Monte. Case closed.

Somebody come lock this thread up. LOL.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:38 PM   #744
TVFactFan
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Expert View Post
EXACTLY, this executive producer wasn’t no Norman Lear or Eric Monte. Case closed.

Somebody come lock this thread up. LOL.

This is the thread from 19 years ago

https://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards...anings+article
Old 02-13-2022, 04:40 PM   #745
Wawwie
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Sol, you still a firm believer that GT was NOT a spinoff of Maude?
Wawwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:48 PM   #746
TVFactFan
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie View Post
Sol, you still a firm believer that GT was NOT a spinoff of Maude?
The fact that I didnt know Florida was on another show until I became grown confirmed why I will never consider it a spinoff. lol That was not the case with the Jeffersons since they show the link to AITF in syndication