Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Honeymooners (Sitcoms Online) / The Honeymooners links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Honeymooners Photo Gallery

The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes (Blu-ray)
Buy The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes on Blu-ray
The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes
Buy The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes on DVD
The Honeymooners: Lost Episodes 1951-1957 (The Complete Restored Series)
Buy The Honeymooners: Lost Episodes 1951-1957 (The Complete Restored Series) on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 1
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 1 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 2
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 2 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 3
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 3 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 4
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 4 on DVD

Buy The Very Best of The Honeymooners / The Best of The Honeymooners - The Lost Episodes / The Honeymooners Christmas Special
The Honeymooners Valentine Special / The Honeymooners - Second Honeymoon / Fan Favorites: The Best of The Honeymooners

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > The Honeymooners

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-28-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
Frank Gannucci

Default Honeymooners Episode Reviews: "Hot Dog Stand" & "Two Tickets To The Fight":

Honeymooners Episode Reviews: "Hot Dog Stand" & "Two Tickets To The Fight":

Episode #60 (Syndicated episode #49)
TV: Half-hour.
VCR: Attached to "Alice Plays Cupid."
DVD: Attached to "Alice Plays Cupid", "Cottage For Sale" and "Jellybeans." On the Lost Episodes DVD Box Set, it is attached to “Prowler”, “Guest Speaker”, “Sprained Thumb”, “Lucky Number”, “Vacation At Fred’s Landing” (’53 version), “Two Tickets To The Fight”, “Halloween Party” (’53 version), “Champagne & Caviar” & “Letter To The Boss” (’53 version).
Air Date: 10/10/53

"Hot Dog Stand":

Ralph and Ed are having lunch in the Bus Company locker room. Ralph heard about an empty hot dog stand, so he and Ed concoct a plan to buy it themselves so they can use it for business. They think that they are going to get rich off of the hot dog stand. How naïve. Ralph says they will open it on opening day, Sunday. According to Ralph, they will do a lot of things while running the stand on Sunday. Ed says: "One question?" Ralph: "What?" Ed: "Can I have Sundays off?" Sunday of course is opening day, so that will tell you how stupid Ed is. Ralph is convinced that this business will make him and Ed rich. Yeah. Ralph says that the hot dog stand will be called: "Ralph & Ed's." Ed wants to name it: "Ed and Ralph's."

Ralph presents this idea to Alice at home. The money that Alice and Ralph have is in a joint account that will be used only for an emergency so Alice of course objects to the idea. Ralph: "Your mother-in-law says that I will never amount to anything in my life. Here's my chance to prove it." Basically what Ralph just said is that he will prove that he will never amount to anything in his life. Ha! Ralph says that he only buys things unless it's an absolute necessity. Alice: "You call a bowling ball an absolute necessity?" Ralph: "I certainly do. You can't bowl without one." They said the same things in "Principle of The Thing." Ralph: "I have been a pretty easy guy got live with all these years." Sure he has. Ralph then says all that he thinks of is Alice. Oh sure! Ralph then asks for the money. Alice says no. Ralph says that this is her last chance to let him have the money. She says no. Ralph says that he will ask her one more time and if she says no, he leaves for good. Alice once again says no. Ralph goes to leave, but comes back saying: "You gotta let me have the money." Also during this argument he says: "Will you let me have it? Will you let me have it?" Alice (mockingly): "Will you let me have it? Will you let me have it?" Ralph: "Boy, I would love to let you have it." Basically the argument goes nowhere. Ralph concedes and now he will ask for money and when it's opening day and the hot dog stand is loaded with customers and photographers are all around, she won't be in the pictures. Alice: "From this blow I may never recover."

Ralph & Ed are then shown at a phone booth trying to call some friends and family members for some money. That doesn't work for Ralph because Ralph is either angry with them or the family member still is waiting for Ralph to loan them money for money that HE borrowed. This doesn't work for Ed either. One time on Bill Mooners' Bloopers web page, a guy whose name is S P A C E R wrote this when Ralph and Ed left the bank: "I don't know if this is a real blooper or not, but in 'Hot Dog Stand,' when Ed and Ralph are leaving the place with the phone booth, Ed says that they now only need $500.90, which would mean he had picked up a dime because they had needed $600 to begin with and he then says, 'Every penny counts! Yes folks, I am sure the person who wrote this made a typo and said $500.90 instead of $599.90. I watched this scene as well and considerating that this scene comes before the scene in which Ralph & Ed go to a banker, it is not a blooper. Ralph & Ed also don't leave any place WITH a phone booth. So that's why on Bill Mooners' Bloopers web page, this information is no longer there.

They see a Mr. Foster. Ralph: "We are here to get a loan." Mr. Foster: "Loans are the lifeblood of a bank." Ralph: "Good because we are in need of a transfusion. Ha ha." Mr. Foster asks what Ralph's mom maiden name is. It is Elizabeth Wharton. Mr. Foster asks the same question to Ed, but Ed says: "Mrs. Norton." Ed said he never knew her last name before she was married because ever since he knew her, she's been married. Ha! Ralph begins to call Ed a numb skull. Ralph says that they are here to get some money to run the hot dog stand. Ed says that they couldn't get the money from their wives because the wives think that their husbands are dopes for running a hot dog stand. Mr. Foster says if Ralph and Ed have any experience running hot dog stands, they say no. Mr. Foster says that running a hot dog stand with no experience is risky so Ralph asks him what experience does Mr. Foster has before he got this job. Mr. Foster reveals that he went to Yale and what not and reveals the rest of his 40+ year career. So Ed says to ask him another question. Ralph and Ed said that running a hot dog stand was a good idea anyway. Sure it was. So Ralph and Ed say they will now try to get the day shift of their jobs back. They were going to work all day at the hot dog stand and work all night. Question: If they did that, when will they sleep? After hearing this, Mr. Foster says that with that plan, working a hot dog stand will not be a risk and they will give them the loan. It's not going to be a risk? Ralph: "Look for us while you are on a highway that goes to New Jersey (the highway in which the hot dog stand is located near), just look for us: 'Ralph and Ed's.'" Ed: "In the market for hot dogs, 'Ed and Ralph's.'" They leave.

On opening day, the girls are helping the boys set everything up. Ralph and Ed run into problems when they practice trying to do fast service. One of the problems is Ed forgetting the frankfurter when he delivered the hot dog to Ralph (who acted like a customer). Ralph: "Suppose you did that to a customer?" Alice: "What customer? No one has been around here in two hours." Ralph says that it is still early. Alice sees someone coming. Alice: "I think your rush has started Ralph." The person? It was a farmer walking a cow (which looked like two men in a cow costume). Ralph gets mad at Alice saying that she will get hers. Another customer comes by and asks for a hot dog which costs a lot less than hot dogs do today. Just when the person (played by George Petrie) is about to bite into the hot dog, Ralph says that he works as a bus driver. Ed: "I work in the sewer." The person, because he heard that Ed worked in the sewer, says he isn't hungry anymore. He leaves and Ralph says that Ed is nuts. Alice says that the person who is nuts around here is Ralph. Another customer comes by and while he as a hot dog, he says that the building that is being built. Ralph is all happy until he hears that the building is being built is a Howard Johnson's. Ouch! Not something that Ralph wanted to hear. Ralph apologizes to Alice and says he now has to work night and day to pay off the money he lost trying to get the hot dog stand. Alice says that they will pay it with the joint account. Ralph is happy and says: "Baby, you’re the greatest."

Episode #61 (Syndicated episode #96)
TV: Attached to "Suspense."
VCR: Attached to "Finders Keepers."
DVD: Attached to "Hero" & "People's Choice." On the Lost Episodes DVD Box Set, it is attached to “Prowler”, “Guest Speaker”, “Sprained Thumb”, “Lucky Number”, “Vacation At Fred’s Landing” (’53 version), “Hot Dog Stand”, “Halloween Party” (’53 version), “Champagne & Caviar” & “Letter To The Boss” (’53 version).
Air Date: 10/24/53

"Two Tickets To The Fight":

Trixie comes over while Alice is cooking. Alice says that Uncle George, who Trixie has never met, is coming over from Pittsburgh and that she invited him to spend the evening with her and Ralph. Alice talks more about Uncle George. I think that Trixie says after Uncle George leaves, they can go to a movie. Trixie leaves and Alice goes into the bedroom.

Voices are heard in the hallway and its Ralph and Ed's. They come in. Ralph yells to Alice that he is home. Ralph and Ed are going to see a boxing match later this evening. Can you guess what's going to happen? Ralph thanks Ed for giving him the tickets. Ed says it wasn't a problem. He reminds Ralph of a similar situation in which Ralph had two extra tickets to see that violin concert at the high school. Ralph not only gave him one, he gave him both tickets. Ha! Ralph goes on about the fight. A guy by the name of Carmine is fighting tonight. Ralph: "If he wins this, he gets a crack at that Olson." Ed: "Don't worry, he will win." Ed does his impression of Carmine fighting. Ed: "I saw him on TV. I have seen him. He can't lose tonight." Ralph: "Who was he fighting?" Ed: "He was being introduced on the Ed Sullivan Show." Ralph says that they will be sitting in the front row amongst all the fight celebrities. He mentions some of them that have Italian names. Ed: "What a spot for a pizzeria." Ed then reveals that he was in the Golden Gloves once. Oh boy! Ed in the Golden Gloves. Ed reflects on how hard he had it while he was in the Golden Gloves. They exercised and prepared for fights for like three hours every day for six months. The result? He was the only fighter to ever be carried INTO the ring. Ha!

Ralph says that Caramine will win because he knows how to duck. Ralph instructs Ed to hit him. Ed "punches" Ralph knocking Ralph to the ground. I think you can tell that Art didn't really punch Jackie. Ed:"That's some ducking Ralph. I can never hit you the second time." Ralph yells at Ed for hitting him so hard. Ed: "I'm sorry! Why don't you do what Trixie does, roll with the blow?" If Ed hits his wife, wouldn't that be spousal abuse? Ralph orders Ed to go upstairs and get dressed. Ed is going to bring the binoculars even though they will be in the first row because sometimes, according to him, there are better fights up in the balcony. Ha!

Alice gets a wind of Ralph's plans and says that Ralph can't go because Uncle George is coming to town. Ralph says no. He thinks that he will have to wait another lifetime to see a fight like this. Alice says that he can't go. Alice says Uncle George has giving him a lot of good things. All of them either Ralph broke or they have been thrown away. Ralph: 'There you are. You can't say he gave us any good things." Alice: 'Don't you dare go to the fights tonight. How would you like it if this situation was reversed?" Ralph: "At least my relatives don't come here unexpected." Alice: "No, they come as steady as clockwork. Three times a week." Ralph says that he is not missing the year's best fight. Alice says that if he walks out of that door, he will be IN the year's best fight. Ralph is going to go in the bedroom to get dressed and come out before Uncle George gets here. Alice: "You wouldn't dare." Ralph: "I wouldn't." (pointing his pointer finger at Alice to the laughter of the audience): "Watch me baby! Watch me!" When I watched this scene one time, I joked to my friend that Ralph gave Alice the finger when I knew it wasn't true.

Uncle George comes in. Alice orders Ralph to come out. Ralph (yells): "DON'T START ALICE! DON'T START!" (normally): "Hiya Uncle George! Hiya!" Classic Ralph. Ralph and Alice have an argument or something else happens to Ralph, Ralph goes into the bedroom, the guest(s) arrive, Ralph starts to talk angrily as he comes out, and when he sees the guest(s) he is happy.

Uncle George goes into the bedroom. Ralph decided to fake some back pane to get Uncle George to leave. Uncle George sees that Ralph is in "pain." Ed comes barging in singing some Italian song. Ralph says to Ed that he is sick. He winks to Ed to say that he is not, but Ed doesn't catch it. Ed: "You even got a twinkle in your eye." Ed offers the ticket to Uncle George. D'oh! Not something that Ralph wants to hear. They leave. Ralph throws a temper tantrum while Alice laughs. Ralph starts to laugh. Ralph: "Boy, I really did it that time." They hug and kiss.

Credit I believe goes to the old Bill 'Mooners Archive, eBay.com, tv.com, Honeymooners Lost Episodes Book, tvguide.com, honeymooners.net, Honeymooners Box Set booklet Honeymooners Lost Episodes DVD booklet, Yahoo! Groups You’re A Riot! & amazon.com.
Frank Gannucci is offline   Reply With Quote