Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again
HBO Gets 2nd Season of McBride and Goodman Comedy; HGTV and Bradys Go Digital
Katey Sagal Joins The Conners; CBS All Access Comedy No Activity Gets Guests for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #46
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitgirl
I think you are absolutely right. I too felt that the two photos they presented looked nothing like Curt and looked like Asian men. They didn't even share his eyebrows and hairline. I don't even think the two men in the photos are the same man. Also, has anyone noticed how people do not always look the way they do in photos? Some people just look different in a picture. Or you might see a photo of someone somewhere and think, "that looks like so-and-so", when you know perfectly well that isn't them. I don't know if that makes any sense, but my point is that people can look different in photos than in real life.

If there is one thing I have learned from watching a lot of UM, it is that parents of missing/suicide/whatever kids can become very delusional about what happened to them or what they did. I was just reading about the case of Amy St. Laurent (not on UM) who's killer confessed to his mother; the mother then told a friend about the confession, then told a grand jury about the confession, yet now claims that her son is innocent. Crazy! And I'll never forget about seeing Diane Broadbeck's mother on UM who swore up and down that her daughter would NEVER leave willingly with a convicted killer, yet that's exactly what happened. It comes to a point where you really just have to take what these family members say with a grain of salt. They are convinced of whatever they want to believe, many to the point of obsession. I think this case is a perfect example of how delusional a family can become over an idea.
exactly.It's denial and it's very strong motivation to believe something that isn't true.it's a form of mental personal protection/self-preservation.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #47
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I don't think Curt's family was in denial per se, I think that they really truely thought he was still alive after all of those years. Especially with his sister claiming she saw him 3 or 4 times since his alleged "death".
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #48
nikkspence
Nikki spence
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by idol
Plus the family got a check for 43k for Curts father signing a form. The whole story is odd. After a few sightings you'd think his sister would try to talk to him. I know she didn't because she claimed she was told he was dangerous but still one of the sightings looked to be in a public park area. At least yell from a few feet away and say "Hi Curt" and see what his reply would be.
That's exactly what I would have done! I have a brother who I don't often see yet I still 100% recognise him every time I see him as he's my brother I grew up with! I have never mistaken any one for him although I have seen people that look like him and I don't see how the sister can mistake some one for her brother.
More to the point I can't understand how she was afraid to speak to him. It's her brother? He surely had no reason to harm her or her children.
If this is all true which I believe it is (aside from the fact they refuse to DNA on the teeth which I find bizarre if you really want closure) I feel so sorry for the guilt the sister must have. She had 3 chances to reunite with her brother and missed them all.
nikkspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:20 AM   #49
nikkspence
Nikki spence
Frequent Poster

Reading a lot of info on the case I still think there maybe a tiny chance that curt is still alive.
Considering the weight of evidence that he has been killed against the evidence he is alive and well it's fair to say he is most likely dead. Although IMO I think he is alive and that it may have something to do with the gov.

However I do think it's a bit harsh to say that the family are delusional?!
They are dealing with a huge loss either way and every one is entitled to there own opinion but I wouldn't go as far as to call the family and crush there hope.

The only way to find any answers on this case is to do DNA on the teeth. But if the family do that and it's identified as curt it stops them hoping that he is happy, safe and alive some where in the world.

I believe it's better to think that way if that's what the family wish to do.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #50
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I haven't seen the segment in awhile, but IIRC, Curt received no special forces training, and his family believed him to be in some sort of "secret returnee" program. That's ridiculous. No POW would return home and NEVER contact a member of their family to let them know that they were alive.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #51
nikkspence
Nikki spence
Frequent Poster

If it was me I would always have hope until evidence ie a body told me otherwise.

Hope is what is keeping the family going!

And I sincerely hope the curt is alive!

Totally irrelevant but he's a good looking fella!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #52
Victoria81
Forum Regular

This case fascinates me so much. I wish we knew the answers.
Victoria81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #53
WishfulDreamer

I really like this segment, but I don't believe that Curt was sent back or that it was Curt his sister saw. I think she seemed very sincere and believed it, but I bet it was just a lookalike. I think if their theory about him trying to show he was alive was actually a fact he wouldn't have just randomly approached her at a gas station with such a cryptic statement and why would he just be chilling out by the Vietnam memorial?

I agree with the above sentiment about approaching him. In a public park, I would have probably gone up to him (leaving some room) and said, ''Are you Curt?'' Considering this was the third time she allegedly sighted him.

Sadly, I think this was just a case of denial. However, if the other alleged incidents (phone call, men in parking lot, people tracking/threatening cousin, phone tapping) actually happened, I can see why they would be suspicious about accepting what the gov. said. However, I really doubt that Curt is alive.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #54
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

The one aspect of this case that still bothers me to write it all off as denial/delusions is the man allegedly made the off hand comment about the weather to Curt's sister. Now if this really happened (his sister has no real reason to lie), why on Earth would the stranger made such an odd remark to her if he didn't know her?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #55
The Human Mop
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The one aspect of this case that still bothers me to write it all off as denial/delusions is the man allegedly made the off hand comment about the weather to Curt's sister. Now if this really happened (his sister has no real reason to lie), why on Earth would the stranger made such an odd remark to her if he didn't know her?
Maybe he was thinking, "There's that woman again who always stares at me. If I say something weird, she'll leave me alone."

I have wondered a lot about this case, too. I would love to know the answers.
The Human Mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #56
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Mop
Maybe he was thinking, "There's that woman again who always stares at me. If I say something weird, she'll leave me alone."

I have wondered a lot about this case, too. I would love to know the answers.
I honestly thought about that after I posted it.

Maybe the guy noticed that she kept staring at him and wanted her to stop.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #57
unidentified
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The one aspect of this case that still bothers me to write it all off as denial/delusions is the man allegedly made the off hand comment about the weather to Curt's sister. Now if this really happened (his sister has no real reason to lie), why on earth would the stranger made such an odd remark to her if he didn't know her?
"It looks like it's going to snow doesn't it?"

Strangers sometimes exchange hellos or casual remarks at gas stations, usually pretty insipid conversation. Nothing new there.

But it seems (as least from the segment) that his sister Diane was at the gas station going about her business without really thinking and so (just my guess) he made a completely offhand comment like this to catch her attention and make her sit up and take notice, when otherwise she may just have been going through her day on autopilot.

The even stranger part to me though is the section of the segment where he drives alongside her in the red vehicle and just grins and says absolutely nothing for what seems like an age before he pulls in front then takes the exit at Quantico Marine Station.

A most confusing aspect though is the phone call received by the father. The father is asked, "what was the name of the blond-haired babysitter?". Should this not have been the other way around, where the father asked 'Curt' the name of the babysitter to help verify his identity?
Old 07-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #58
BlueGalexy
Frequent Poster

This case always broke my heart because as much as I always wanted to believe that Borton was alive out there somewhere, I just never could get there, you know? There have been some developments in this case over the years it seems.

There is an interesting post in the comments section on the UM site, from someone purporting to be a member of the Borton family. The poster makes the assertion that some skeletal remains have since been found and conclusively ID'd as Borton.

https://unsolved.com/gallery/robert-borton/

There is also a site dedicated to Vietnam War casualties, that has Borton listed among the deceased. Mention is made on this site that Borton's remains have since been located, along with the remains of 13 other Vietnam War casualties. My heart goes out to this family.

http://www.vietnamwarcasualties.org/...ctory&rec=4834

ETA: While I was reading up further on the Borton case, I came across another Vietnam site that seems to give more details on the recovery of his remains.

http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BortonRC01a.htm

Last edited by BlueGalexy; 07-26-2017 at 08:08 PM.
BlueGalexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #59
LilMissKryssy
" & every sinner has a future"
Forum Regular

The family is in deep denial. The sister seeing him multiple times and not talking to him bizarre. The license plate she took down wasn't him. Her saying her kids recognized him first is laughable. They never met him! The last pictures she had of Kurt he was only 20 years old. You're telling me her children identified him yards away.. as a middle aged man having never met him? Give me a break. She could've had her kids go to her car while she spoke to "Kurt". I think she deeply wants to believe he's alive so they keep this fantasy alive.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:04 AM   #60
WilliamHBonney
Frequent Poster

Surrpsied UM took on this case,seems entirely wishful thinking by the family and the 2 pictures not only don't look like Curt one looks like an Asian Male and the other Euroasian.
WilliamHBonney is offline   Reply With Quote