Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Honeymooners (Sitcoms Online) / The Honeymooners links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Honeymooners Photo Gallery

The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes (Blu-ray)
Buy The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes on Blu-ray
The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes
Buy The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes on DVD
The Honeymooners: Lost Episodes 1951-1957 (The Complete Restored Series)
Buy The Honeymooners: Lost Episodes 1951-1957 (The Complete Restored Series) on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 1
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 1 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 2
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 2 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 3
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 3 on DVD
The Color Honeymooners - Collection 4
Buy The Color Honeymooners - Collection 4 on DVD

Buy The Very Best of The Honeymooners / The Best of The Honeymooners - The Lost Episodes / The Honeymooners Christmas Special
The Honeymooners Valentine Special / The Honeymooners - Second Honeymoon / Fan Favorites: The Best of The Honeymooners

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > The Honeymooners

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Frank Gannucci

Default Honeymooners Episode Reviews: “Ralph’s Diet” & “The Dinner Guest”:

Honeymooners Episode Reviews: “Ralph’s Diet” & “The Dinner Guest”:

Episode #50 (Syndicated episode #73)
TV: Attached to "Alice Plays Cupid."
VCR: Attached to "The Adoption."
DVD: Attached to "A Little Man Who Wasn’t There", "Goodnight Sweet Prince" & "Gleason’s Honeybloopers Volume 1." Attached to "Two Men On A Horse", "A Promotion" & "Checkup." On the Lost Episodes Restored DVD Box Set, it is attached to “Honeymooners Xmas Party” (’52 version), “Glow Worm Cleaning”, “Alice Plays Cupid”, “Suspense”, “Lost Job”, “Anniversary Gift”, “Income Tax”, “What’s Her Name”, “Alice’s Aunt Ethel”, “Lunch Box”, “Norton Moves In”, “Hot Tip”, “Dinner Guest”, “Manager of The Baseball Team” (’53 version) & “Dorsey Bros. Show.”
Air Date: 4/25/53

“Ralph’s Diet”:

Before I begin this review, I will write this minor point. On honeymooners.net, it says both "Ralph's Diet" & "Norton Moves In" aired live on the same date when in fact they weren't. The latter aired on 4/18 and the former aired on 4/25.

As the name implies, Ralph is on a diet. (A storyline device that would repeat itself later on in the series.) Mrs. Manicotti comes down and says that her husband's birthday is today and she wants to hide the food until he gets home. She invites Ralph and Alice to come but Alice declines. She thinks with all the food there, it would be too tempting for Ralph. Mrs. Manicotti leaves the food in the Kramden apartment and leaves. Alice puts the cake and turkey (the food Mrs. Manicotti brought down) into a drawer, but before she closes it, she puts her finger into the cake and licks it off her finger.

Ralph comes home and says the diet is off. Ralph also says that there wasn't enough lunch for him. Alice: "You had enough food for you to last five days." Ralph: "Is that so? Well, I would like to live for six or seven days." Alice says the doctor told Ralph to go on a diet. Ralph makes this excuse: "I drive a bus all day. I got to have something that will stick to my ribs." Gee, what an excuse Ralph has. Alice: "Look at the stomach." Ralph: "That is not my stomach. It happens to be a very low chest."

Alice gives Ralph some juice that has the nourishment of a lot of food, including steak. Ralph tries it and thinks that the people who made the juice left out the steak. Ralph wants to go to the fridge but Alice won't let him. Ralph then thinks that since he hasn't eaten that much; maybe he lost enough weight all day. He gets on the scale. Ralph: "I don't need the diet anymore. I lost a pound." Alice: "Ralph, when you lose a pound, it's like Bayonne losing a mosquito." What does Alice mean when she says this?

Ralph then tries to get his mind of food by reading a newspaper. Within five seconds of reading it, he stops and says: "I'm starving." Ralph turns on the radio to hear a baseball game. The announcer for the game promotes some food which of course causes Ralph to break the radio. Ha!

Ed Norton comes down. So Alice tells him to make sure Ralph doesn't eat. Ed (with a banana in his mouth): "What's cooking?" Ralph says it's nothing. Ralph asks Ed for the banana as Ed is eating it. Ed doesn't give him the banana. Ralph then asks why Ed didn’t respond to him. Ed: "I don't like to talk with my mouth full." Ed tries to help Ralph by if he says that he doesn't like meatballs among some other foods. Ed leaves saying he made himself hungry.

Ralph tries to leave in hopes of getting some food. Ralph spots the cake and turkey in the drawer and immediately starts his feast. Ralph: "Heaven! Heaven! Heaven! This is living." Alice and Mrs. Manicotti come down and see the damage that Ralph did to the food. Alice says to Mrs. Manicotti that she can go down to the store and get another cake and turkey and that Ralph will pay for it. Ralph says that he's sorry and that he will start a new diet tomorrow. Yeah, sure he will. Alice forgives him and they embrace.

Episode #51 (Syndicated episode #58)
TV: Attached to "Norton Moves In."
VCR: Attached to "Letter To The Boss" & "Suspense."
DVD: Attached to "Letter To The Boss", "Suspense" & "Ralph Kramden's Greatest Schemes."
Air Date: 5/2/53

“Dinner Guest”:

This episode opens up with the Kramdens having dinner with the Ralph's boss Freddie Muller and his wife. A different actor is playing Freddie in this episode. In future episodes, the role was filled by George Petrie. Fred says: "I ate so much the lid came of my pot." Ralph laughs and repeats what he said to Alice, the only thing is he gets the words mixed up so Fred corrects him. Ralph says that if Fred doesn't finish his turkey, Alice will make Ralph have turkey on Mon-Wed and have Apple pie on Thursday.

Ralph tries to talk to Fred about getting a promotion, but Alice cuts Ralph off by saying: "Would you two like to wash your hands?" They do just that. Ralph offers Fred a towel that says: "Hers." That's because all the "His"'s are being cleaned.

Ralph orders Alice to shut that door so he can talk to Alice. He says that every time Ralph wanted to talk to Fred about getting a promotion, Alice has cut him off. To some people, on paper this would seem like it's Alice's fault. But is it? The ending of this episode tells us the question. Ralph calls Fred a moax behind his back. Gee, that was very nice was it? Of course not. Ralph says to Alice that since she has been offering Fred food: "Am I trying to get that promotion or are you trying to become Fred's cook?" Fred comes out along with his wife so Ralph sings: "I wish I was in Dixie."

Ralph offers to play poker. The boss says no. He and his wife want to watch TV. Ralph says that if they had a TV Set, it would be getting repaired. The boss has a car and one of the things that he offers is a ride, then he offers to go to a drive-in movie. Ralph says no to both and in response to the latter, he says: "What for? We are all married." Alice says to Ralph to tell them that joke you heard the other day, but Alice accidentally says it herself. Ralph he has heard a 1000 better jokes. He doesn't know where he got that one. Fred: "I told you that joke the other day." Ouch!

Alice turns on the radio so they can listen to music. Ralph tries to talk business with Fred, but he gets cut off when Fred says don't turn the dial that is the type of music that he like, which is Mambo. I kind of like the song that's playing too in a way. All of them end up dancing to the music. When this clip was shown on the “Honeymooners Reunion” special in '85, the music was dubbed over by NBC with similar music. Musical clearances, maybe? Fred dances with Alice and Ralph dances with the boss' wife (Harriett). In the middle of all this, Ed Norton comes down. This is a scene that I like. Imagine if had a friend like Ed Norton, he came down to see you, comes right through your door (and in the process reveals one of their traits, not knocking on their friend's door, just barging right in), and sees you with people that s/he doesn't know and the people who s/he doesn't know doesn't know him either. Ed apologizes because he didn't know the Kramdens had company. He offers to dance to mambo correctly. Ed shows Harriett the right way to mambo. He dances in a very funny way. MPI video said in this episode: "Norton's patented body movements are precious as he steals the scene with his famous Mambo step."

Ed offers to show Ralph the correct way. Yes, he dances with Ralph. Ed accidentally steps on Ralph's foot. So Ralph yells: "AAAAAHHHHHH!" Jackie's facial expressions are great. Ed: "Now you are doing it." Ralph: "You stepped on my foot." Ralph turns off the radio. Ralph embarrasses Ed in front of Ralph's boss by yelling at him. Ed tells Alice the club meeting is tonight. Alice says that because of the company, she can't go. Fred and Harriett say don't worry, they have to go anyway. They leave. Ed leaves, but before he leaves he says his "goodbyes" to the boss and his wife and says that he enjoyed dancing with Harriett more than he did with Ralph. I can't blame him.

After they leave, Ralph gives Alice a tongue lashing about Alice cutting Ralph off whenever he wanted to talk business with the boss. Ralph: "Every time tat I want you to help me out, you fail me." Ralph says that every man in history has had a woman behind him. Ralph brings up Napoleon. Alice: "Don't tell me you are comparing yourself to Napoleon." Ralph: "There's one difference between me and Napoleon. He had his hand in his shirt because his hand was cold. I have my hand in there because my heart aches." Alice: "Why don't you jump out the window." Ralph: "You said that yesterday." Alice: "Yeah, but you didn't do it." I wonder why. Alice says that Ralph doesn't scare her. So Ralph says, that he may never be able to take Alice out. Alice says that the last time they went out, Ralph had a Raccoon coat on and they went to see Rudolph Valentino in "The Sheik."

The boss comes up to pick up his wife's purse. Ralph tries to talk business again but Alice cuts him off again. Fred says that he had to go to other dinners with some other bus drivers who work for the Gotham Bus Company and all they wanted to do was talk business but Ralph never said a word. It looks like Ralph is going to get his promotion after all. Right? Right? The boss leaves and then Ralph apologizes to Alice. Alice: "I love you Napoleon." Ralph: "Josephine, you're the greatest." They hug and kiss

Credit I believe goes to the old Bill 'Mooners Archive, eBay.com, tv.com, Honeymooners Lost Episodes Book, tvguide.com, honeymooners.net, Honeymooners Box Set booklet Honeymooners Lost Episodes DVD booklet, Yahoo! Groups You’re A Riot! & amazon.com
Frank Gannucci is offline   Reply With Quote