Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Disney+ Says "Simpsons Forever"; TBS Orders 4th Season of The Last O.G.
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 19, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fried Green Tomatoes Series Starring Reba McEntire in the Works at NBC; Last Man Standing to End After Nine Seasons
Fri-Yay: COVID-19 Storylines on TV, Will Viewers Watch?; Antenna TV's 70 Episode Jack Benny Marathon for 70th Anniversary
Last Man Standing to Conclude After Season 9 in 2021; CBS Announces Fall 2020 Premiere Dates
TBS Brings Out Halloween Sitcom Episodes on Halloween; Remembering Conchata Ferrell of Two and a Half Men
Freeform's 'Kickoff to Christmas' Schedule; Celebrate 20 Years of Curb on HBO Max

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September/October)

Will & Grace - The Revival -Season Three - The Farewell Season Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season Mom - The Complete Seventh Season The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season

07/07 - Will & Grace - The Revival - Season Three - The Farewell Season
07/21 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Tenth Season
07/21 - The Thundermans - Season 1 / Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4
07/21 - The Unicorn - Season One
07/28 - The Thundermans - Season 1-4 Bundle
08/04 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Eighth Season
08/04 - The Neighborhood - Season One
08/11 - Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens - Season 1
08/11 - Final Space - The First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
09/01 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Season 14
09/01 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete Second Season
09/01 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
09/15 - Mom - The Complete Seventh Season
09/15 - South Side - Season 1
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Second Season
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Third Season
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Fourth Season
09/22 - Man with a Plan - Season Three
09/29 - The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
10/13 - The Jetsons - The Complete Series (Diamond Collection)
10/13 - Our Cartoon President - Season Two
10/27 - The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
10/27 - Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season (WBShop.com)

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-01-2020, 05:49 AM   #16
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Herman's Head - I have even seen media reports calling the show "Howard's Head" (or similar). I remember enjoying the show while it was on, but haven't thought about it in years. The series received a terribly low 17% Tomatometer on RottenTomatoes, with no audience reviews. In its third season, it was tied for 94th place in the ratings. It seems completely forgotten.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #17
TSMIV
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
The only thing I remember about Reasonable Doubts is that it was a poster on a Seinfeld episode

Attachment 257231
LOL! I remember that poster on Seinfeld! Wish I had one of them! Even more, I wish the show would get a DVD release!
TSMIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #18
retroTVfan4ever

The Cara Williams Show 1964-65 sitcom.

Hey Landlord 1966-67 sitcom.

That's Life 1968-69 musical sitcom.

Arnie 1970-72 sitcom.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #19
Kasey

The 5 Mrs. Buchanans
Delta
It Takes Two (1982-83)
The Powers That Be
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #20
Wavy
Frequent Poster

Nothing Sacred
Wavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:08 AM   #21
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Herman's Head - I have even seen media reports calling the show "Howard's Head" (or similar). I remember enjoying the show while it was on, but haven't thought about it in years. The series received a terribly low 17% Tomatometer on RottenTomatoes, with no audience reviews. In its third season, it was tied for 94th place in the ratings. It seems completely forgotten.
17%?! Wow! Now I have second thoughts about liking this show and regret seeing it.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #22
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy View Post
17%?! Wow! Now I have second thoughts about liking this show and regret seeing it.
I enjoyed it while it was on, but I was also a teenager at the time. I don't know how it's aged over the years.

Another forgotten show I remember from years past was How to Marry a Millionaire, which was based on the Marilyn Monroe film. This aired in the late 1950s/early 1960s, and some cable channel aired it in the 1980s, when I first saw it. Some episodes have been uploaded to YouTube, but I haven't seen it aired anywhere in a very long time.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #23
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
The 5 Mrs. Buchanans
Delta
It Takes Two (1982-83)
The Powers That Be
I remember Delta and The Powers That Be. TPTB was quite short-lived, despite being produced by Norman Lear and the future producers of Friends.

I didn't watch much of Delta; it mostly aired at the same time as The Simpsons during The Simpsons' classic era.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:28 AM   #24
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Location: America...The Cleveland of the World...and I live in the butt which IS Cleveland!

I dunno if these shows count, but...

Thunder Alley
Kirk
Titus
The Norm Show/Norm

I'd like to see these shows on DVD, but that'll happen when the Cleveland Clowns are in The Super Bowl....

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)

Black, White, Red, Blue, Yellow, Even Purple Lives Matter....Galatians 3:28
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:31 AM   #25
Kasey

I'd forgotten about The Norm Show even though I bought it on DVD years ago. Love Laurie Metcalf!

How to Marry a Millionaire was released a few years ago as well. I have both sets but the Season 2 one is MUCH better. They really made Barbara Eden the lead in Season 2 and she's fantastic in it!! Much funnier than she ever was in I Dream of Jeannie or Harper Valley PTA. In fact, Season 2 of HTMAM is probably her best work IMO.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:53 AM   #26
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
I'd forgotten about The Norm Show even though I bought it on DVD years ago. Love Laurie Metcalf!

How to Marry a Millionaire was released a few years ago as well. I have both sets but the Season 2 one is MUCH better. They really made Barbara Eden the lead in Season 2 and she's fantastic in it!! Much funnier than she ever was in I Dream of Jeannie or Harper Valley PTA. In fact, Season 2 of HTMAM is probably her best work IMO.
I had no idea HTMAM was out on DVD! Thank you, Kasey!
Old 09-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #27
Kasey

You're welcome! A few years ago, I was so impressed with this show, I wrote the following review on Amazon:

I can’t say if Season 1 is better than this because I wanted to start with this cheaper volume, but I CAN say that this is the best blind-buy DVD purchase I’ve ever made (next to THE LIEUTENANT). I am glad I took other online reviews with a grain of salt, some of whom called the show mediocre, otherwise I would not have given this a chance.

This is the kind of show that would have fit in perfectly on late 1980s Nick@Nite when they were showing such programs as Make Room for Daddy, Car 54 and The Ann Sothern Show. Due to the low number of episodes they could have run it on weekends only like The Smothers Brothers Show.

It’s light and frothy and Eden is a hoot to watch. Her Jeannie role didn’t offer her the kind of comedic material she is afforded here. Jeannie was naïve and childlike, and Larry Hagman performed most of the comedy, but in Millionaire, Barbara is like a precursor to Suzanne Somers in Three’s Company, an attractive, ditzy blonde whose portrayer developed a real knack for comedy as the series progressed. And for those lamenting she’s not in a sexy harem costume, all will be forgiven when you see her cha-cha in a strapless gown and four-inch heels.

In “What’s Cooking with Loco”, the script is clever with Eden wringing the most out of every line reading. Even a simple wide-eyed “WHAT???” can bring guffaws. She exudes that special “Star Quality” from the get-go and one can see she was destined. Another farcical entry “Gwen’s Secret” has Loco mistaking a ventriloquist and his dummy for a murderous kidnapper who has trapped a little boy in a suitcase. She shows range and treads into Lucille Ball territory when she masquerades as a giddy star struck bobbysoxer in “Loco the Teenager”.

Merry Anders and Lisa Gaye provide ample support, but as the “straight” characters, they aren’t as flashy or interesting—this is Barbara’s show all the way. Picture quality is terrific for such a rare show. Fans of female-dominated 1950s sitcoms such as My Little Margie and Susie will love this! FIVE STARS.

**I have since purchased Season 1, but the scripts did not take full of advantage of Barbara's talents and I didn't care for Lori Nelson as much as her replacement Lisa Gaye.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #28
Schmo
Forum Regular

Quote:

“HTMAM” was one of several shows that were part of a short-lived fourth network in the late 1950s. Season 1 had 39 episodes. Season 2 only had 13.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTA_Film_Network
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #29
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

House Calls
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:16 AM   #30
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS SHOW

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote