Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Night Court Reboot Gets Series Order; Season Premiere Date Set for The Orville
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso Wins Big at The Emmys; CBS Expands Ghosts Premiere to One-Hour; Remembering Willie Garson of Sex and the City, Director Jay Sandrich
TBS, TNT and truTV Launch Fall-O-Ween, a Programming Block of Halloween Classics; HBO Max Comedy from Mindy Kaling Debuts November 18
Paramount+ Renews Rugrats for 2nd Season; Eva Longoria Producing Disney Sci-Fi Comedy
Family Guy, King of the Hill, The Cleveland Show and Futurama Joining FXX; HBO Max's Ten Year Old Tom Details
73rd Primetime Emmy Awards Winners; Turner Celebrates Latinx Heritage Month with George Lopez, Tacoma FD and More
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 20, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June-September)

Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - The Neighborhood - Season Three
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Deluxe Edition (100 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Standard Edition (50 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/24 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season 2
09/07 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
09/21 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #181
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
I don't think it was so much Wampler wanted Eric dead so much as Eric was going to be killed anyway and that it was in Wamplers's best interest to protect his deputies and/or the criminals involved. Money is also a possibility here. Again, this could be an on the spot bribe that Wampler accepted.
Sorry Mastermind, lol, but I was going back and re-reading our debate on this case and I never asked you a question about your response above. You stated that Wampler may not have wanted Eric dead but rather, may have had to protect his deputies. Well, wouldn't the main job of the head sheriff be to protect citizens rather than assist his deputies in killing them? I do know and understand that this is corruption in LE, but what would Wampler gain by turning a blind eye to a murder he knows is about to go down, then risk an informant or the FBI finding out what happened and charging him as an accomplice?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #182
Mastermind

Quote:
but what would Wampler gain by turning a blind eye to a murder he knows is about to go down, then risk an informant or the FBI finding out what happened and charging him as an accomplice?
This the ages old question about why cops don;t accuse their own.

1. Well, there could be a direct financial gain that Wampler got...or may have expected to get.

2. Code of silence. It is scary how much police officers will adhere to it.

3. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" -does Sheriff Wampler really want other people to look into his dirt if he exposes others?

4. "Look after your own". Another code that cops adhere to religiously

5. Keep in mind that Sheriff Wampler still has to get elected to keep being sheriff. A murder that involves his own deputies is not going. Even though the cover up dirties him somewhat..it's a lot better than it being proven that there was killer in his house.

6. Sheriff Wampler needs money to run as Sherrif. Some people are going to be less willing to give him money if he's not as "discrete" as they thought.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #183
Mastermind

It's important to remember that a Sheriff is a politician as much as he is a police officer.

All rules that govern politics, govern the Sheriff;s position.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #184
Mastermind

Quote:
Does anyone else think Sheriff Wampler ordered the bed destroyed for fear of finding his wife's DNA on the sheets?
1. That would assume that Sheriff Wampler knew there was a murder.

How would he know that before the coroners report showed that their were bullets in Eric;s skull? Why would Sheriff Wampler think that there would be DNA testing of a natural causes death?

Remember that it was considered natural causes at the time Wampler arrived at the scene.

It wasn;t until the coroner's report that they knew it was a murder.

2. DNA could also come from the shower, toilet and elsewhere in the house. Why destroy just the bed?
Even Sheriff. It should be pointed out that no other DNA was found in the house. No any hair.

3. Why would his wife's DNA be on the bed? How long ago was the report of Eric having an affair? It could have been months since a tryst. Sheriff Wampler had to have thought that Eric slept with his wife very recently.

4. Why burn the bed? wouldn't the sheets be enough?

5. If Eric was sleeping with with the Sheriff's own wife. He wasn;t being discrete about it,. HE SLEPT WITH THE SHERIFF'S WIFE IN HIS OWN HOUSE. I think even Eric would be smart enough to find a hotel or someplace less conspicous to bed the sheriff's wife.

This isn't like sleeping with your boss's wife or soemthing. This is the wife of a high ranking police official. A police official who has numerous deputies in patrol cars that could follow his wife and find out

6. Your assuming that the rumour about the affair is true. For all we know this rumor was fabricated about after the bed burning incident. Or they confused the Sheriff's wife with another woman.

Eric was Asian. It's not like it would be unusual for him to be in the company of other Asian women. There's got to be a tone of Polynysian women living in the Pacific Northwest.

7. Much life Eric Smith's supposed motive, the genesis of the affair may have been Don Dixon.

8. Was in Eric's nature to fool around with married women? I would be curious if any of his friends (other than Don Dixon..) can verify if it was customary for Eric to fool around with married women.

9. So what if her DNA is on the matress? All the investigators would have would be a DNA of a women of Asian descent. Why would theyautomatically look at the sheriff's wife as a suspect or witness?
The Sheriff's wife is not going to be in criminal records, so there's no chance a match would occur. Unless she;s a suspect, I don;t think a matching DNA would be released to the general public. I think that information would be kept in house.

10. Isn;t Sheriff Wampler the lead investigator on the case???? If he doesn;t want his wife to be looked at as a suspect....all he has to do is simply not investigate her!! Who would question his actions?

11. If Sheriff Wampler really wanted to..he probably could have sent a cleaning crew in to clean the whole house.. After all it was a natural death at the time.

Last edited by Mastermind; 05-14-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #185
Mastermind

Sheriff Wampler burned that bed because

1. he knew there would be powder burns on the mattress and the sheets.

2. As Don Dixon feared.....Sherif Wampler also probably feared there wear exit wounds in which the bullets hit the mattress and through the sheets...leaving bullet holes.

Maybe even a bullet was left in the mattress.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #186
Smokescreen
Frequent Poster

Hey fellas.

So I finally get a chance to put down my thoughts on all this!

Quote:
I feel this case may just be solved soon enough (but that's just me)
I shoulda clarified – “soon” meaning possibly within the next 20-30 years –sorry about that, my bad, lol

Why? Well as (former/ current?) Hood River resident CityofPain mentioned before:

Quote:
I think our cops in this town are mentally retarded.

Someone’s gotta slip up and/ or sing

(Keep in mind, again, this is just my gut feeling -I could be totally wrong)

Anyway, back to the discussion

Yes a Taco Bell dinner would be very nice

Okay, so I watched the UM segment again and after reading all the posts of this thread I have a few theories. Again, keep in mind, I’m not a detective and I’m just going with what I have, read, seen or heard:

First off - I very seriously doubt this was a random act. In fact, I gotta agree with Mastermind that this seems be a professional (or semi-professional) type of hit
It’s obvious someone wanted something or could have been ratted out and Eric was in the way.

Also, Sheriff Wampler had to have more of a hand in in one form or another -

OR really just didn’t wanna do any work and didn’t wanna bother

Seriously, What kinda professional in law enforcement tampers with a crime scene and destroys potential evidence??

Anyway, theory One:

Now that “something” could have been drugs (perhaps cultivated in the orchard), drug money, control of the orchard operation(s), land entitlement, property, something obviously worth a lot of money and something worth murdering someone over

Eric heard knocking on the door and windows which prompted him to go outside and take a look around.
Now if Diana Anderson hadn’t been there he probably would have been killed that night
Diana Anderson not being harmed. Hitmen more than likely won’t off someone for free and some even have a code of not killing women and/ or children (and pets)

Eric got three bullets in the head – passion crimes usually have the trigger person unload a few rounds and also usually tend to shoot more wildly. This seemed to be more of a quick, clean kill. A professional wouldn’t (usually) waste time and ammo

Hypothecally – Let’s say Don Dixon wanted something (orchard business, land entitlement, money, whathaveyou) and Eric was in the way. He needs Eric rubbed out so who better than ask the local constabulary and by offering them a cut of the take. Since the police would be in charge of this investigation no one question them and if they did, there’s a hell of lotta red tape to go through and may even be years before any action could be taken.

Okay so the first night, the sheriff’s dept or other hitman/ men wanna do the job but are sidetracked ‘cause Diana Anderson is there

So there's a Plan B: Eric’s probably a little spooked and more than likely going to more diligent in securing his home. Since Dixon had to go to Eric’s anyway, Eric lets him in they chat or whatever – Eric is probably relaxed. Then suddenly Don (or a hitman walks in) and puts three bullets in his head

Immediately there’s forensic evidence (Blood spatter/ gun powder residue, strands of hair, etc.) so the Sheriff decides to get rid of it (WTF?!?!)

So What Wampler says to Um is this:

“Based on the lack of evidence, that this was gonna turn into a criminal case, it was my decision to burn the bed. It was my decision at that time because the family, they might just actually appreciate not having to go through the trauma of viewing the horrid things that were left behind.”

– Gimme a freakin break. That argument is really weak

So Dixon gets (whatever it is) he wants (and/ or his secret is safe) and the Sheriff’s department gets a nice slice of the pie

Theory 2 and this is kind of a longshot) : Eric Smith could be the murderer (although I kinda doubt it). How? Again, just going by what msamspade mentioned in his/ her post

Quote:
Eric Smith is a very low life drug user
Personally I go by the old saying , “never trust a junkie” (due mainly to my experience of having being unfortunately associated with junkies)

Motive? Eric Smith could maybe have used the orchard to cultivate drugs of some type – and sell ‘em as well as have his own, personal pure fresh stash
Then he lets Sherif Wampler in on the action a by offering a cut. In essence, bribes the sheriff’ and/ or persons from the sheriff’s dept to do away with Eric Tamiyasu and destroy a really important piece of eveidence. And then (indirectly) point the finger at the melodramatic Don Dixon

Don Dixon (can’t belive I’m even trying to defend this guy) just happens to be an innocent passerby. He checks on Eric, finds his dead, decaying body and gets really spooked. (Yeah, I don’t really buy this one either, but I gotta put it out there)

How does that explain him acting like a weirdo with very little social skills? Well, perhaps after dealing with chemicals all these years has made him a little “Eccentric”.

Theory 3: The fourth suspect –

Diana Anderson’s former baby daddy.

As msamspade put it:

Quote:
Diane had a son out of wed lock by a person named Carter a very low life with an extensive criminal record.
He gets jealous so the first night it dosen’t work or he’s scopin’ out the place. He sees Diana so he decides to come back another time. The next time he manages to get into the home and kills Eric. Which really doesn't explain Eric's body position - had he been startled.

Also, if Carter had an "extensive criminal record, who's to say he's not a hitman himself? Or at least has experience in B & E as well and/ or using firearms (on people)?

Overwhelmed at this homicide, Sheriff Wampler just doesn’t have the knowledge, resources, experiences, drive or desire to even start looking into this case. so he decides to just burn the bed. So either he’s really lazy or he’s a real $#@^ moron, (or both) and Don Dixon is just a social misfit and nothing more

Theory Four: Sheriff Wampler has Eric rubbed out for foolin’ around with his woman. This one I’m really not so sure

Why?

First off, the affair with the Sheriff’s "Polynesian wife" story can’t be verified

And I agree with what Mastermind mentioned before:

Quote:
Eric was Asian. It's not like it would be unusual for him to be in the company of other Asian women. There's got to be a tone of Polynysian women living in the Pacific Northwest.
I think it was more than likely made up to throw anyone interested in this case off the trail.

Why? Iit’s a tale of hot, spicy forbidden passion and hellbent revenge and human nature usually tends to lean towards stuff like that

And leads 'em to look in the wrong direction(s)

Which is also why Wampler won’t say anything because then it implicate his involvement with the murder even further. It would put him in the rock and a hard place kind of scenario

There is so much we (the general public/ the die-hard UM fans) don’t know about this story.

I wish I could come up with a better assessment (such as it is) but the facts just aren’t available

Again this makes me think if the three main suspects are just red herrings, but keep in mind, this is from the words of the cryptic mssamspade:

Quote:
The Tamiyasu family finally hired a private investigator to look into the mess and came up with the conclusion that the murderer of Eric Tamiyasu was no other than Carter. He had found his ex girl friend with Eric and became enraged. He followed them to Eric's home and knocked on the door when they began to get into heavy petting, running away when they paused to get dressed. Diane and the PI believe that Carter is the person responsible for Eric Tamiyasu's murder. Unfortunately due to the destruction by the HOOD RIVER COUNTY SHERIFF and his staff we will never be able to close this case.

What I wanna know is:

(Apparently, again according to mssamspade)

Don
Quote:
Dixon's training was as a Vietnam era soldier and as a field biologist in Vertebrate pest control.
So he has been trained for military combat? So then he would know how to properly shoot a gun and/ or efficiently kill a person, right?

Would there be any public record of this?

And if Don is a biologist, what’s his Alma Matter?

Is Eric’s Orchard business still going? And if so, who’s running it now?

Who lives in Eric Tamiyasu’s house nowadays?

As Mastermind also mentioned:

Quote:
Technically the FBI could investigate this case as local corruption.
Why hasn't the FBI actually done this and get the answer(s)?

Anyhoo, just my two cents

Last edited by Smokescreen; 05-15-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Smokescreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #187
Hambone2421

Smokescreen, I too have also given tremendous thought to the possibility of the killer being Diane's ex boyfriend. My only problem with that is I keep coming back to the following three things:

1. Sheriff Wampler burning the bed.
2. Don Dixon accusing everyone except for Jesus of the murder.
3. The hitman theory.

I cant see all of these things happening (such as Wampler's incompetence and Dixon's idiocy) if the murder was nothing more than a jealous ex lover. If Wampler and Dixon are completely innocent and have no knowledge of Eric's murder then why did:

1. Wampler burn the bed?
2. Dixon tell Eric's sister "there were no exit wounds"?
3. Dixon "playing detective" and accusing everyone and giving everyone a motive.

In my opinion, if it was nothing more than a jealous ex lover, why would every other squirrley thing involving Dixon and Wampler have happened? It seems like either Dixon or Wampler (maybe both) are covering for themselves after committing (or helping to commit) the murder of Eric Tamiyasu. But why would they do these things if it had nothing to do with them and was just an ex boyfriend?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #188
Smokescreen
Frequent Poster

Hey Hambone! How ya been?

Yeah I know whathca mean! This case just drives me nuts

I'll play "devil's advocate" for a moment

And keep in mind, these are just theories, I really don't/ can't have any real "die-hard" convictions due to the lack of info on this case (i.e. what UM didn't tell us or was not told)

(Although I'm leaning towards Wampler and Dixon because their actions and statements are really weird)

Quote:
Originally posted by Hambone242 I cant see all of these things happening (such as Wampler's incompetence and Dixon's idiocy) if the murder was nothing more than a jealous ex lover. If Wampler and Dixon are completely innocent and have no knowledge of Eric's murder then why did:
Quote:
1. Wampler burn the bed?
(Just guessing here)

He honestly (stop laughing) believed this was not a homicide and thus didn't see the bed as evidence. Also, gathering from what I've read, there are probably not a heck of a lot of homicides in Hood River (help me out here people) and Wampler and co. just didn't have the experience or expertise. That and he just really didn't wanna go through the hassle

Quote:
2. Dixon tell Eric's sister "there were no exit wounds"?
I dunno, Dixon thought he'd be helpful? (Yeah I always thought that particular "no exit wounds" statement was mondo bizarro)

Quote:
3. Dixon "playing detective" and accusing everyone and giving everyone a motive.
Maybe all those years of him being around rodenticide got to his brain?

Yeah, I hear ya, Hambone - the whole tampering with a crime scene and destroying evidence just screams "guilty". However, more info is needed to really determine if Wampler and Dixon orchestrated the whole murder and/ or in cahoots or if they really are a couple of eccentric morons.

Plus there's no way to confirm if Diana Anderson's criminal baby daddy is even real. We're just going by what mssamspade posted and how do we even know this person isn't just some crackpot who really likes Taco Bell?

Dang, I wish CityofPain would post again - she seemed to be the real deal
Old 05-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #189
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Dang, I wish CityofPain would post again - she seemed to be the real deal
I agree. Even mssamspede would be nice to hear from. Even if they are full of it, I'm guessing they are either from the area or knew Eric based on the information given. mssamspede named Von Flowto in his post, a person who we were not aware of.

I've tried calling Wampler at his office several times but he never answers the phone and I'm not gonna leave a VM asking for a return call either because I doubt he wants to talk about the case. This is the only case I would ever investigate on my own.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #190
Mastermind

Quote:
He honestly (stop laughing) believed this was not a homicide and thus didn't see the bed as evidence.
If Wampler is innocent, Why should he think it was a homicide? Nobody knew it was a homicide until the 3 bullets were found in the autopsy.

Quote:
I've tried calling Wampler at his office several times but he never answers the phone and I'm not gonna leave a VM asking for a return call either because I doubt he wants to talk about the case. This is the only case I would ever investigate on my own.
Use caution, hambone!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #191
Hambone2421

Quote:
Use caution, hambone!
When they ask me for my name, I'll tell them its SmokeHam Mastermind in honor of us three, lol.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #192
Dionysus
Occasional Poster

Just saw this segment for the first time last night.
I think that Don and the police sheriff were in cahoots. The business partner guy seems the least guilty to me.
Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #193
Smokescreen
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Hambone2421 I'll tell them its SmokeHam Mastermind in honor of us three, lol.
Y'know, Master SmokeHam sounds kinda catchy lol

Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #194
Smokescreen
Frequent Poster

Well, I found out one thing
Quote:

Originally posted by me
Is Eric’s Orchard business still going?
Found this here

http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org...s/Tamiyasu.php

Quote:
Three generations later, Tamiyasu Orchards has evolved to encompass 110 acres of pear, apple, cherry and peach trees. Bob Garofalo and his wife, Ramona Tamiyasu, an acupuncturist, run the farm.

Well, that's one question answered
Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #195
Corky Kneivel
Forum Regular

Quote:
1. That would assume that Sheriff Wampler knew there was a murder.

How would he know that before the coroners report showed that their were bullets in Eric;s skull? Why would Sheriff Wampler think that there would be DNA testing of a natural causes death?

Remember that it was considered natural causes at the time Wampler arrived at the scene.

It wasn;t until the coroner's report that they knew it was a murder.

2. DNA could also come from the shower, toilet and elsewhere in the house. Why destroy just the bed?
Even Sheriff. It should be pointed out that no other DNA was found in the house. No any hair.

3. Why would his wife's DNA be on the bed? How long ago was the report of Eric having an affair? It could have been months since a tryst. Sheriff Wampler had to have thought that Eric slept with his wife very recently.

4. Why burn the bed? wouldn't the sheets be enough?

5. If Eric was sleeping with with the Sheriff's own wife. He wasn;t being discrete about it,. HE SLEPT WITH THE SHERIFF'S WIFE IN HIS OWN HOUSE. I think even Eric would be smart enough to find a hotel or someplace less conspicous to bed the sheriff's wife.

This isn't like sleeping with your boss's wife or soemthing. This is the wife of a high ranking police official. A police official who has numerous deputies in patrol cars that could follow his wife and find out

6. Your assuming that the rumour about the affair is true. For all we know this rumor was fabricated about after the bed burning incident. Or they confused the Sheriff's wife with another woman.

7. Much life Eric Smith's supposed motive, the genesis of the affair may have been Don Dixon.

8. Was in Eric's nature to fool around with married women? I would be curious if any of his friends (other than Don Dixon..) can verify if it was customary for Eric to fool around with married women.

9. So what if her DNA is on the matress? All the investigators would have would be a DNA of a women of Asian descent. Why would theyautomatically look at the sheriff's wife as a suspect or witness?
The Sheriff's wife is not going to be in criminal records, so there's no chance a match would occur. Unless she;s a suspect, I don;t think a matching DNA would be released to the general public. I think that information would be kept in house.

10. Isn;t Sheriff Wampler the lead investigator on the case???? If he doesn;t want his wife to be looked at as a suspect....all he has to do is simply not investigate her!! Who would question his actions?

11. If Sheriff Wampler really wanted to..he probably could have sent a cleaning crew in to clean the whole house.. After all it was a natural death at the time.

LOL...so mark you down for a "no" then huh?
Corky Kneivel is offline   Reply With Quote