Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

One Day at a Time links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / One Day at a Time Photo Gallery

One Day at a Time - The Complete First Season

Buy One Day a Time - The Complete First Season on DVD
One Day at a Time - Season Two

Buy One Day a Time - Season Two on DVD
One Day at a Time - Season Three

Buy One Day a Time - Season Three on DVD
One Day at a Time - The Complete Series

Buy One Day a Time - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > One Day at a Time

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Comes to an End; FXX Goes Full Blown Animation Domination with New Acquisitions
Fri-Yay: NBC Reportedly Wants to Reboot The Office; Remembering Norm Macdonald of The Norm Show/Norm
Comedy Central Fall 2021: Seinfeld Joins Lineup; Apple TV+ New Comedy Acapulco Premieres Oct. 8
Only Murders in the Building Renewed for Season 2; HBO Max's Love Life New Season Starts Oct. 28
Columbo 50th Anniversary Marathon on COZI TV; BET+ R-Rated Sitcom Renewed for Season 2
Anthony Anderson and Mama Doris Headlining Halloween on Discovery+; The Last O.G. Is Back Oct. 26
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 13, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June-September)

Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - The Neighborhood - Season Three
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Deluxe Edition (100 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Standard Edition (50 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/24 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season 2
09/07 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
09/21 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-01-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
Christopher
Hush
Forum Fanatic

Default Funny Show

I saw the pilot on YouTube last week and loved it. I blind bought the series hoping it wasn't going to be a fluke and so far it isn't. Season 1 has a lot of classic memorable scenes. My favorite is Julie stuffing her bra and Barbara asks what she's doing. Julie responds, "What does it look like I'm doing? My chest has got a cold." I know Julie comes and goes in the later years, but she has become a favorite of mine so far. I even liked her in The Runaways where she was a spoiled brat. I'm glad Ann didn't give in to her demands. Ann is the parent after all. Julie is a huge part of the show these early episodes. I bet the show feels different without her.

I was enjoying the David character until the episode David Loves Ann. He turned into a major creep this episode. Bribing the girls to have their mom say yes to marrying him and then barging into Ann's bedroom saying he's perfect for her. Ann just had a divorce. What was he thinking? He really showed his age that he's inexperienced with this kind of thing. I was rooting for him until he turned into an ass. I was also starting to understand Ann's hang up about the age difference until we saw Ed. He's gotta be in his late 40's to early 50's because of how much older that actor is to Bonnie. Ann has no problem sleeping with guys about a decade or more older than her, but she has a problem with a guy seven years younger than her? It's a weird double standard

I've bought a lot of classic TV shows on DVD this year and this one I'm looking forward to the most on finishing. I already know the later years has Julie gone and replaced with some young boy who's not related to Ann and Barbara. I'm hoping there will be some episodes I find entertaining. I'm also glad I'm watching this show on DVD than syndication where it's edited. However, are there any episodes on the DVD set that are edited? I noticed on my digital copies I made of the show there's a couple of episodes in season 5 and season 6 that run under 24 minutes. The episode 'So Long, Mom' runs at 22 minutes and some seconds. Does anyone know if those are edited? Thanks in advance
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:43 AM   #2
opus
VB
Forum Superstar

I believe the researchers around here came up with that two of the episodes are edited on the box set. ‘So Long Mom’ is definitely one, but I’m blanking on the other one.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:53 AM   #3
opus
VB
Forum Superstar

David was a good character, but if the concept of your series is an at the time groundbreaking one about a divorced woman out on her own with the kids, you can’t have her immediately remarry, which is why….spoiler, if you haven’t got that far yet, stop reading….everyone quickly realized that and he was written out early season 2.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:54 AM   #4
Christopher
Hush
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I believe the researchers around here came up with that two of the episodes are edited on the box set. ‘So Long Mom’ is definitely one, but I’m blanking on the other one.
Thanks. 'So Long, Mom' looks like a good episode. Sucks it's edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
David was a good character, but if the concept of your series is an at the time groundbreaking one about a divorced woman out on her own with the kids, you can’t have her immediately remarry, which is why….spoiler, if you haven’t got that far yet, stop reading….everyone quickly realized that and he was written out early season 2.
I'm fine with Ann remarrying, but David was forceful with her. I'm glad she called him out on it. He wanted her to be the wife he imagined instead of accepting Ann for who she is. I also didn't like he was trying to buy the love of Ann and the girls. When Julie wanted to go to private school, he undermined Ann and just wrote a check for $900. I didn't get why Ann kept him around but her line at the end of 'David's New Job' part 2 about being scared made so much sense. She didn't want to be alone and only kept David around because he was a man that appeared interested in her. It was a good episode. I cheered when he left

I'm up to 'Schneider's Pride and Joy'. I did peak at some of the later seasons episodes because I like knowing what's coming before I watch it. I'm weird that way. I was hoping when Julie leaves, we'd see more of Barbara's character develop. I saw there's an episode called 'Barbara's Crisis' and if that's the kind of stories she gets after Julie leaves, I'm not going to be interested. She's already getting the shaft from both her parents. When Julie ran away, Ed didn't even give a damn to come comfort Barbara. When Ann told Julie not to come back, Barbara looked hurt that she wasn't considered because it did have to do with Ann's pride about being a mother towards Julie. Barbara just seems to get shuffled around so far. I did like 'Barbara's Emergence' though. That was a good episode. It's a shame we don't have TV shows with stories like this anymore to help kids realize that being cool with your peers isn't always a good thing.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #5
opus
VB
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Thanks. 'So Long, Mom' looks like a good episode. Sucks it's edited.

I'm fine with Ann remarrying, but David was forceful with her. I'm glad she called him out on it. He wanted her to be the wife he imagined instead of accepting Ann for who she is. I also didn't like he was trying to buy the love of Ann and the girls. When Julie wanted to go to private school, he undermined Ann and just wrote a check for $900. I didn't get why Ann kept him around but her line at the end of 'David's New Job' part 2 about being scared made so much sense. She didn't want to be alone and only kept David around because he was a man that appeared interested in her. It was a good episode. I cheered when he left

I'm up to 'Schneider's Pride and Joy'. I did peak at some of the later seasons episodes because I like knowing what's coming before I watch it. I'm weird that way. I was hoping when Julie leaves, we'd see more of Barbara's character develop. I saw there's an episode called 'Barbara's Crisis' and if that's the kind of stories she gets after Julie leaves, I'm not going to be interested. She's already getting the shaft from both her parents. When Julie ran away, Ed didn't even give a damn to come comfort Barbara. When Ann told Julie not to come back, Barbara looked hurt that she wasn't considered because it did have to do with Ann's pride about being a mother towards Julie. Barbara just seems to get shuffled around so far. I did like 'Barbara's Emergence' though. That was a good episode. It's a shame we don't have TV shows with stories like this anymore to help kids realize that being cool with your peers isn't always a good thing.
I may well be biased, but anything focusing on Barbara is good (even if it’s not well written )

Ann remarrying is towards the end, when the series concept had shifted. I just meant you couldn’t have her considering marriage so early in the series.

By the way, you’ll see David one more time, somewhere down the line.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
retroTVfan4ever
PAS/IHE
Forum 4K Club Member

The other edited episode in the DVD set is "A Tiny Romance" from season 6.

There are a few other episodes in the set that have shorter than usual run times but as far as I know those aren't edited. So Long Mom and A Tiny Romance are the only two episodes known to be edited in the DVD set. I believe these are syndication versions that are trimmed down to about 22 minutes.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:00 AM   #7
opus
VB
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever View Post
The other edited episode in the DVD set is "A Tiny Romance" from season 6.

There are a few other episodes in the set that have shorter than usual run times but as far as I know those aren't edited. So Long Mom and A Tiny Romance are the only two episodes known to be edited in the DVD set. I believe these are syndication versions that are trimmed down to about 22 minutes.
I always feel there’s a few lines or maybe a scene missing from “The Married Man”, but it’s a three parter and I can never place where what I feel is missing specifically belongs (although it would occur after Ann finds out the guy is married. So somewhere in part 2 or 3)
Old 08-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #8
Christopher
Hush
Forum Fanatic

What about J.C. and Julie part 2? I thought it was odd Ann starts to lecture Julie in the visitors room of the prison about her beliefs in God and then all of a sudden gets cut off to shift to them walking out. Does anyone know if that was an actual scene of Ann continuing to lecture Julie or is it supposed to stop with Ann telling Julie she wanted a refund because she didn't get the miracle she wanted? Ann was still talking to Julie as the scene cut off to them walking out.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #9
retroTVfan4ever
PAS/IHE
Forum 4K Club Member

J.C. And Julie Pt. 2 does run a few seconds shorter than Pt. 1, I don't know if anything has been edited but it is possible. I will take a closer look at the episode and see if I can detect if a little snippet of something might have been edited from the episode.

Part 1 of The Married Man doesn't have any closing credits, but I think it's because parts 1 and 2 both originally aired on the same night, January 17, 1979, so part 1 likely didn't have closing credits originally. Aside from that, I don't think anything is missing or edited from that three part story arc.

The common run time for season 5 episodes is about 24 minutes, but Perils Of Plastic runs only about 23:30 and No Laughing Matter runs only about 23:45. I haven't been able to detect if anything is missing from these episodes so I'm assuming they are complete and just run a little short but it's also possible that a scene was edited.

Last edited by retroTVfan4ever; 08-05-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #10
retroTVfan4ever
PAS/IHE
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
What about J.C. and Julie part 2? I thought it was odd Ann starts to lecture Julie in the visitors room of the prison about her beliefs in God and then all of a sudden gets cut off to shift to them walking out. Does anyone know if that was an actual scene of Ann continuing to lecture Julie or is it supposed to stop with Ann telling Julie she wanted a refund because she didn't get the miracle she wanted? Ann was still talking to Julie as the scene cut off to them walking out.
I watched part 2 of the episode and I see what you are talking about, the scene cuts and fades at the 22:35 mark while Ann is still talking to Julie and it transitions to the next scene. I don't know if the episode was originally made that way but if anything is edited it amounts to about 10 or 15 seconds of dialog.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:19 PM   #11
Chocolate Moose
Forum 3K Club Member

it's amusing but not laugh out loud funny. i like the stories and the characters a lot though!
Old 08-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #12
Christopher
Hush
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Moose View Post
it's amusing but not laugh out loud funny. i like the stories and the characters a lot though!
There's been a lot of laugh out loud moments for me. One of the most recent ones is Barbara telling Julie she heard her tantrums two months before she was born and that was why she was late coming out I'm still enjoying the show and glad season 3 brought the focus to just Ann, the girls, and Schneider.