Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #46
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by markway895
I believe it was on right after All in the Family, so how could it be too controversial? Except specifically-- religious leaders both Catholic and Jewish objected to the inner-faith marriage.

Well that explains the high ratings and if the show had been renewed it probably would have been on a different night as the lead in. Kind of like how CBS moved AITF to Saturday after doing well on Tuesdays
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #47
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
Well that explains the high ratings and if the show had been renewed it probably would have been on a different night as the lead in. Kind of like how CBS moved AITF to Saturday after doing well on Tuesdays
Meredith Baxter even wrote in her autobiography, "No offense to our show, but CBS could have aired a show about cleaning carpets and it would have done well in that time slot."

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #48
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Meredith Baxter even wrote in her autobiography, "No offense to our show, but CBS could have aired a show about cleaning carpets and it would have done well in that time slot."

Yeah right in between All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore. Nice slot lol
Old 06-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #49
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

What's kind of ironic is that David Birney is Irish Catholic in real life, just like the character Meredith played.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #50
Leslie Eckhardt
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

I based my earlier post on my 40-year old memory of watching this show. Thinking I could change my opinion, I saw the pilot last night. I stand by my original view. The humor is heavy-handed and forced. The ethnic jokes are groaners and play offensively even today. The reaction of Audra Lindley to her daughter's boyfriend possibly being black is cringe-inducing, and just to top it all off, they cribbed a line from the Love on a Rooftop pilot when David Birney says: "You're rich!" Baxter counters with: "You make it sound like some sort of disease". Line for line. If this didn't make it following All In The Family, it's possibly because it isn't funny? If this got better ratings than Mary Tyler Moore it could be that people who started to watch this following Family switched channels midway through. Only Jerry Fielding's nice theme music comes through unscathed. A dreadful show.
Leslie Eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #51
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

MB said in her book that while it wasn't a great show, she was happy to be working with a great veteran cast and as a single working mom at the time, the pay was great. She knew that they weren't reinventing the wheel, but learned a lot from her co-stars. DB basically trashed the show to her and the media whenever he got the chance, and she basically said he probably wasn't wrong.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #52
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Eckhardt
I based my earlier post on my 40-year old memory of watching this show. Thinking I could change my opinion, I saw the pilot last night. I stand by my original view. The humor is heavy-handed and forced. The ethnic jokes are groaners and play offensively even today. The reaction of Audra Lindley to her daughter's boyfriend possibly being black is cringe-inducing, and just to top it all off, they cribbed a line from the Love on a Rooftop pilot when David Birney says: "You're rich!" Baxter counters with: "You make it sound like some sort of disease". Line for line. If this didn't make it following All In The Family, it's possibly because it isn't funny? If this got better ratings than Mary Tyler Moore it could be that people who started to watch this following Family switched channels midway through. Only Jerry Fielding's nice theme music comes through unscathed. A dreadful show.
Elaborating on your points, with the controversial humor on AITF, we were laughing at the ignorance of Archie Bunker, as opposed to the subject matter, where as on BLB, that's not necessarily the case. So now I can see more how Bridget Loves Bernie could be considered more controversial.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #53
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Now you guys have me very curious. When I get a chance to watch an episode or two, I'll chime in here with my thoughts.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #54
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

It's always hard to know what to think when you have two completely opposite views of something, in this case, the stars' relationship. One conclusion is obvious; someone is lying.

Kind of a bummer, too. I remember (dimly) watching this show as an 8 year old with my mom on Saturday nights and liking it, though to be honest I've no idea if I would like it today, it's been so long ago.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #55
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Eckhardt

My reaction to this show is a wierd one. I kinda liked it even though it was uneven. Yes, it had its share of leaden moments, but it had tender ones too. Like the opening. And the premise was cute. I also think David Doyle is a good character actor. The show tried to be ground breaking and it gets an A for effort. But sometimes it tried too hard, which could make it trying.

Also for me it has nostalgic value. So, while I would enjoy watching eps that came my way for free (You Tube etc.), or might spend a few dollars for a 5 ep sampler, I would not likely collect it.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #56
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

The pilot gave me a chance to see life in NYC in 1972 and I enjoyed it
Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #57
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
You're really a 1970s NYC guy at heart, aren't you, Sol?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #58
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Quote:
The show was not without its measure of charm, despite its flaws. As someone who lived in NYC in the 70s I can attest that it captured the flavor of the city well.
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #59
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
You're really a 1970s NYC guy at heart, aren't you, Sol?

I love NYC so much. Always have and was so excited when I had dinner in Manhattan 2 years ago and wanted to cry when it was time to leave and come back to philly
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #60
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
The show was not without its measure of charm, despite its flaws. As someone who lived in NYC in the 70s I can attest that it captured the flavor of the city well.
Sweet!!!