Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Bewitched (Sitcoms Online) / Bewitched links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Bewitched Photo Gallery


Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Third Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Series

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Series on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Series
(Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Bewitched

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
Schmo
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 24, 2013
Posts: 129
Default Why did Dick York fall on hard times after “Bewitched”?

Wasn’t Dick York well-paid when he worked on “Bewitched”? Why did he end up in financial straits so soon after leaving the show?
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
retroTVfan4ever
Member
Senior Member
 
retroTVfan4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2009
Posts: 3,966
Default

Dick York was dealing with health related problems and was unable to continue his role on Bewitched after season 5. Why he then fell on hard times was probably partly because of his health issues.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #3
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity
 
Bonniegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2014
Posts: 41,757
Default

Poor Dick!!
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #4
Schmo
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 24, 2013
Posts: 129
Default

York injured his back in the late 1950s while filming the movie “They Came to Cordura”, one of Gary Cooper’s final films. By the time he was cast in “Bewitched”, he was also addicted to pain pills. York collapsed on the set of “Bewitched” in 1969.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_York

My question was about York’s financial, not physical well-being.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
retroTVfan4ever
Member
Senior Member
 
retroTVfan4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2009
Posts: 3,966
Default

His physical well-being, or lack thereof, along with addiction to painkillers, likely contributed to financial woes he might have had at the time.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:30 AM   #6
rusty spike
Member
Frequent Poster
 
rusty spike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 08, 2015
Location: Southwest
Posts: 149
Default

There was a falling out between York and Montgomery when York was dismissed from the show. He bad mouthed and criticized a lot of people involved in the production of the show. I think York was frustrated over his health, but I think people took notice and it pretty much killed any chances of making a career comeback had his health improved. I think it was clearly established that York and Montgomery tolerated each other in a professional manner, but never really liked each other. They were never amicable off stage.
rusty spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:16 AM   #7
storrs19
B&W TV Lover
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 07, 2003
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 723
Send a message via ICQ to storrs19 Send a message via MSN to storrs19
Default

Many actors and actresses also only made money while the show was on its “first run” and maybe for six reruns and that was it. Some were quite ahead of their time and would often take a smaller salary in return for a portion of ownership of show and thus would continue to make money for years (decades). Lucille Ball was such an actress as wasn’t Shirley Booth (Hazel).
__________________
Bring back my B&W TV Shows !!
storrs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
Schmo
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 24, 2013
Posts: 129
Default

Here is a Los Angeles Times article from 1989 about York.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...079-story.html
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
CosmicCharlie
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2019
Posts: 322
Default

Maybe Samantha cast a spell on him
CosmicCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
tcr1701
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2012
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty spike View Post
There was a falling out between York and Montgomery when York was dismissed from the show. He bad mouthed and criticized a lot of people involved in the production of the show. I think York was frustrated over his health, but I think people took notice and it pretty much killed any chances of making a career comeback had his health improved. I think it was clearly established that York and Montgomery tolerated each other in a professional manner, but never really liked each other. They were never amicable off stage.
Dick York was not dismissed by the show. He asked Bill Asher to let him quit when his health was at a very low point. ABC was hoping he could continue on but he just could not. Mrs. York in particular was so worried about his health she was in full support of him leaving.

There was one small article from late 1969 or so which "claimed" York had stated that the atmosphere on the set was so bad by the end of his time and he was glad to leave. This seems more like Hollywood gossip since York spent 18 months at home flat on his back recuperating. Hardly seems likely that he gave any interviews.

In his autobiography Dick wrote that he and Elizabeth were very close on set (as he was with David White). Another bit of unconfirmed gossip came from a producer who was fired from the show claiming he "believed" that Dick was "in love" with Elizabeth and it ticked her off because she was a "harsh woman who hated being loved by anyone." That seems even more ridiculous especially coming from a disgruntled producer who was fired. And no one else ever claimed any such things happened.

Sadly we'll never know as Elizabeth never said anything about Dick York other than it was "a shame" that he had to leave. Dick only said positive things about the show and the cast.
tcr1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #11
tcr1701
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2012
Posts: 122
Default

After Dick York left Bewitched he spent about 18 months recuperating at home. Then found he could not get any new roles. Something related: Hayden Roark told Larry Hagman (who wanted to quit I Dream of Jeannie) that if an actor leaves a successful series no one in Hollywood will hire him again (this convinced Larry to remain with Jeannie). Dick York seemed to have faced this exact situation as his leaving was viewed by other producers as quitting a hit show. Suzanne Somers would face this too after her salary battle with Three's Company.

The Yorks also owned rental property but rented to low income resident who often couldn't pay rent. With no money coming in from acting they lost the property. Then Mr.s York's mother became ill and she and Dick permanently left Hollywood to care for her. They worked small odd jobs until Dick attempted a come-back in the 1980s. He did an episode of Fantasy Island and a Simon and Simon before a clerical mistake lost his contact information for casting. Upon being diagnosed with emphysema in the mid to late 1980s Dick retired from acting once again.

There was a story (unconfirmed) that talk show host Tom Snyder wanted to reunite Dick and Elizabeth Montgomery on his talk show in the late 70s, but Elizabeth refused. She did not do personal interviews due to her extreme fear of them. She mentions this fear in a much later interview with John Tesh.
tcr1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #12
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 5,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcr1701 View Post
Dick York was not dismissed by the show. He asked Bill Asher to let him quit when his health was at a very low point. ABC was hoping he could continue on but he just could not. Mrs. York in particular was so worried about his health she was in full support of him leaving.

There was one small article from late 1969 or so which "claimed" York had stated that the atmosphere on the set was so bad by the end of his time and he was glad to leave. This seems more like Hollywood gossip since York spent 18 months at home flat on his back recuperating. Hardly seems likely that he gave any interviews.

In his autobiography Dick wrote that he and Elizabeth were very close on set (as he was with David White). Another bit of unconfirmed gossip came from a producer who was fired from the show claiming he "believed" that Dick was "in love" with Elizabeth and it ticked her off because she was a "harsh woman who hated being loved by anyone." That seems even more ridiculous especially coming from a disgruntled producer who was fired. And no one else ever claimed any such things happened.

Sadly we'll never know as Elizabeth never said anything about Dick York other than it was "a shame" that he had to leave. Dick only said positive things about the show and the cast.
There definitely is more than one article which states there were tensions on the set between Elizabeth and Dick York. Elizabeth Montgomery biographer Herbie Pilato is quoted as saying, "Elizabeth Montgomery didn't get along with Dick York, who played her husband Darrin Stephens. He was in love with her but she was married to the show's producer and it became very uncomfortable for her." Pilato knew Elizabeth in her final years.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #13
tcr1701
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2012
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
There definitely is more than one article which states there were tensions on the set between Elizabeth and Dick York. Elizabeth Montgomery biographer Herbie Pilato is quoted as saying, "Elizabeth Montgomery didn't get along with Dick York, who played her husband Darrin Stephens. He was in love with her but she was married to the show's producer and it became very uncomfortable for her." Pilato knew Elizabeth in her final years.
Unfortunately, Pilato's "researcher" and assistant with the biography book used these exact same references (mainly lots of tabloid articles from the 1960s). There is no evidence Elizabeth confided in Pilato any of her possible negative feelings towards York or any other cast members. Nor was she and Pilato close.

Pilato avoided any negative comments about or attributed to Montgomery while she was alive. Once she died he then sensationalized her "biography" which in my opinion must be taken with a huge grain of salt. He even went so far as to suggest Elizabeth was an alcoholic once she safely passed on. For someone who claims to have "loved" her Pilato had no trouble airing her supposed "dirty laundry" to sell a book.

Last edited by tcr1701; 09-01-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling
tcr1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:12 PM   #14
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran
 
catsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 01, 2006
Location: The Catacombs
Posts: 12,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcr1701 View Post
After Dick York left Bewitched he spent about 18 months recuperating at home. Then found he could not get any new roles. Something related: Hayden Roark told Larry Hagman (who wanted to quit I Dream of Jeannie) that if an actor leaves a successful series no one in Hollywood will hire him again (this convinced Larry to remain with Jeannie). Dick York seemed to have faced this exact situation as his leaving was viewed by other producers as quitting a hit show. Suzanne Somers would face this too after her salary battle with Three's Company.

The Yorks also owned rental property but rented to low income resident who often couldn't pay rent. With no money coming in from acting they lost the property. Then Mr.s York's mother became ill and she and Dick permanently left Hollywood to care for her. They worked small odd jobs until Dick attempted a come-back in the 1980s. He did an episode of Fantasy Island and a Simon and Simon before a clerical mistake lost his contact information for casting. Upon being diagnosed with emphysema in the mid to late 1980s Dick retired from acting once again.

There was a story (unconfirmed) that talk show host Tom Snyder wanted to reunite Dick and Elizabeth Montgomery on his talk show in the late 70s, but Elizabeth refused. She did not do personal interviews due to her extreme fear of them. She mentions this fear in a much later interview with John Tesh.
Dick York had legitimate health reasons for leaving, while Suzanne Somers was just acting like a diva.
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:26 PM   #15
tcr1701
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2012
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule View Post
Dick York had legitimate health reasons for leaving, while Suzanne Somers was just acting like a diva.
Agreed, but the point was York's leaving may have been interpreted by producers at the time as political.It's just something Hayden Roark said usually happened no matter why an actor leaves a show. I don't know this is what happened to York.
tcr1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.