Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-13-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default If somebody said this would any of you be suspicious?

I recently was told by a trader to send a non-postal money order. The excuse that I was given is that there is a huge counterfeit ring going on with Postal money orders. Has anybody heard this and if not, what would you make out of that statement? I am not trying to doubt the credibility of this trader, it just sounds weird to me.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
wildlele
Frequent Poster

Send a message via MSN to wildlele

i'd laugh my ass off and keep my money.... have them send first
Old 08-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

You can't track regular money orders can you?
Old 08-13-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
wolf11
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

right you can not track money order beside there very hard to copy anyway sound very strange to me i woul go and ask the post office and see what they say beside if it were true it should be on the the news as a top story so i say that this person is well strange
Old 08-13-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular

Pose this question on ebay's message board - try Seller Central. I know there was discussion a while back about counterfeit money orders. Most people tend to think they are secure payment, but not so.

PS - IIRC, I was thinking the USPS were the ones that were least likely to be counterfeit...(shrug) But obviously, those sellers go through lots of MOs & know the latest scoop.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
mhadley
Forum Regular

Call a Citizens Bank (formally F&M) and ask them. They will tell you about this.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
loren

heres is more than likely what he really was speaking of, when he didnt want a postal money order.

more and more banks will not take them due to fraud

i can get a money ordein the mail, and give it to my buddy to run at a bank, he cashes it and spends the loot

i then tell the buyer the money order didnt get here

buyer files a form at the postal, and after about 60 days, most likely gets his money back

bank is then out of luck, as postal pulls the funds

many banks will not even take a postal money order for that reason

so yes its due to fraud and theft

heres a little known fact, the post office will give you cash for a money order on the spot. take it to the window, present id, get the cash

no bank needs to be invloved

case closed

i love postal money orders, no time needed to clear, no chance of me not getting the cash, no charge backs a couple months later

sometimes folks get a piece of the story, and thats why they dont make any sense
Old 08-13-2005, 10:41 PM   #8
scottdvd
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
I recently was told by a trader to send a non-postal money order. The excuse that I was given is that there is a huge counterfeit ring going on with Postal money orders. Has anybody heard this and if not, what would you make out of that statement? I am not trying to doubt the credibility of this trader, it just sounds weird to me.
If someone wants to send me a money order I require a postal money order. I am very familiar with what they look like and the post office will cash it for you. If it is fake then they will not, so there is no way you would ever be out any money.

I would be more cautious of a money order from a convienence store somewhere that I don't know what its supposed to look like anyway.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:53 PM   #9
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default money orders

Sounds fishy to me... i have cashed all my post office money orders at the post office... one time i had a money order from my sister, that was 3 years old!! i lost it, and found it later on, and they even cashed a 3 year old money order for $100 (b day gift) with no questions asked!!!!

Old 08-14-2005, 08:24 AM   #10
sbeamish
Forum Regular

I work for the USPS. As a carrier I'm certainly no expert on clerk or managerial functions, but we haven't been notified about any problems with postal money orders. (Ofcourse, I've been on vacation for the past two weeks.) Usually we are informed about any scams involving the postal service.

Just wanted to put in my two cents.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #11
Agent 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
If this was his legitimate excuse, then what would hinder him from taking your postal money order, going to the post office, cashing it before sending your item(s)?

It sounds like he has something to hide.

IMHO
Old 08-14-2005, 12:17 PM   #12
lordsmurf
Frequent Poster

I fail to see the problem. Go get a Western Union (yellow) money order. Moneygram ones (blue) are pretty common too. Sold at gas stations and grocery stores. Cheaper than a postal one anyway.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 08-16-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:48 PM   #13
mhadley
Forum Regular

I just know what my bank told me and that they REFUSE to cash or deposit postal money orders....
Old 08-16-2005, 08:16 AM   #14
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

Bummer. I like both postal and Western Union money orders for the convenience. I've used WU MOs a number of times to pay for eBay auctions because I can order them online, and I can track them through Western Union's web site.

Oh well. Seems the scammers slink into every facet of life ... :<
Old 08-16-2005, 07:08 PM   #15
lordsmurf
Frequent Poster

A Western Union "money order" is not the same as "wiring money" (also a Western Union service). A Western Union money order is the same thing as a postal money order, for all intents and purposes. A piece of paper you buy and mail.