Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-20-2003, 08:09 PM   #61
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by 623e68thst
"Well until someone comes up with a good explanation about why Good Times was based in Chicago and not NY, then Good Times will always be it's own show and not a spinoff"

Many spinoffs took place in different locations than the original series.

Frasier, Rhoda, Lou Grant, Gomer Pyle to name a few.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!. That's what i have been saying for months. There is no connection since Good times was based in CHICAGO and Maude was based in NEW YORK-THE END
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 08:19 PM   #62
Sean Snow
moo
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Sean Snow

Quote:
Originally posted by Sitcom Analyzer
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!. That's what i have been saying for months. There is no connection since Good times was based in CHICAGO and Maude was based in NEW YORK-THE END
You do realize that the first part of his post was a quote of you? All he said was that spinoffs can be set in different places other than the parent show's location...which everyone who has posted in this thread seems to agree with.
Sean Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 08:22 PM   #63
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Snow
You do realize that the first part of his post was a quote of you? All he said was that spinoffs can be set in different places other than the parent show's location...which everyone who has posted in this thread seems to agree with.

LOL-No i didn't even realize it because my screen name wasn't above the statement. I have to respond again.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:56 PM   #64
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by 623e68thst
"Well until someone comes up with a good explanation about why Good Times was based in Chicago and not NY, then Good Times will always be it's own show and not a spinoff"

Many spinoffs took place in different locations than the original series.

Frasier, Rhoda, Lou Grant, Gomer Pyle to name a few.

Fraiser, Rhoda, and Lou Grant all had explanations for their relocations.

Fraiser-he returned to his hometown-Seattle

Rhoda-returned to her hometown in New York

Lou Grant-he was fired and relocated to LA to start a new career

Maude-Florida stopped being a Maid to become a housewife-IN NEW YORK

Good Times-Florida lived in Chicago and they were being evicted. How did they get there? NEVER EXPLAINED
Old 06-23-2003, 07:23 PM   #65
GeeBee

Default I found out in the 1974 issue of Ebony Magazine that Good Times is not a spinoff

Quote:
Fraiser, Rhoda, and Lou Grant all had explanations for their relocations.

Fraiser-he returned to his hometown-Seattle

Rhoda-returned to her hometown in New York

Lou Grant-he was fired and relocated to LA to start a new career

Maude-Florida stopped being a Maid to become a housewife-IN NEW YORK

Good Times-Florida lived in Chicago and they were being evicted. How did they get there? NEVER EXPLAINED

Just because it was never explained doesn't mean that there is no explanation possible. Also, even with inconsistencies, it can still be a spin-off. Inconsistencies even exist among episodes within a series. The bottom line is that Florida Evans was on Maude and then got her own show, thus Good Times was a Maude spin-off. End of story.
GeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:53 PM   #66
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: I found out in the 1974 issue of Ebony Magazine that Good Times is not a spinoff

Quote:
Originally posted by GeeBee
Just because it was never explained doesn't mean that there is no explanation possible. Also, even with inconsistencies, it can still be a spin-off. Inconsistencies even exist among episodes within a series. The bottom line is that Florida Evans was on Maude and then got her own show, thus Good Times was a Maude spin-off. End of story.

The executive producer stated in 1975 that Good Times is not a spinoff-if you want a copy of that article let me know
Old 06-24-2003, 10:21 PM   #67
GeeBee

Default Re: Re: I found out in the 1974 issue of Ebony Magazine that Good Times is not a spinoff

Quote:
The executive producer stated in 1975 that Good Times is not a spinoff-if you want a copy of that article let me know

So, if I paint a picture and say it's not a painting because of a particular style I used, does that make it so? I really think you're looking too hard for a concrete definition for spin-off (as if it was some scientific fact that could be proved or disproved). Most people consider a spin-off any show that was inspired by a character from a previous show. Sometimes producers and actors may try to make their shows stand out by differentiating it from the usual. I remember when Carol O'Connor once said that All In The Family was not a "situation comedy" because the plots were based on personalities, not situations. It's all playing with words and subjective terms. For all practical reasons, Good Times is a spin-off and All In The Family is a sitcom and I really don't see the tragedy in any of that.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:34 AM   #68
*PinkLady*

Default Re: Re: I found out in the 1974 issue of Ebony Magazine that Good Times is not a spinoff

Quote:
Are you sure you didn't somehow misunderstand this infamous article?
*PinkLady* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:45 AM   #69
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: Re: Re: I found out in the 1974 issue of Ebony Magazine that Good Times is not a spinoff

Quote:
Originally posted by *~PinkLady59~*
Are you sure you didn't somehow misunderstand this infamous article?

Nope, it's clear as day-"Good Times is not really a spinoff because we changed the Florida Evans character" If you want a copy let me know.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:43 AM   #70
Brian
Forum Veteran

Have you ever considered that even though he is the executive producer that he may be wrong? His assertion that
Good Times is not a spinoff because they changed the Florida character is a bunch of bull manure if you ask me. Esther Rolle appeared as Florida Evans on Maude and she got a series of her own. That's a spinoff, plain and simple. I'm telling you just because someone who works for the show says something about it it doesn't mean that it is true 100% of the time.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:04 AM   #71
GeeBee

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Have you ever considered that even though he is the executive producer that he may be wrong? His assertion that
Good Times is not a spinoff because they changed the Florida character is a bunch of bull manure if you ask me. Esther Rolle appeared as Florida Evans on Maude and she got a series of her own. That's a spinoff, plain and simple. I'm telling you just because someone who works for the show says something about it it doesn't mean that it is true 100% of the time.

Exactly. It's a subjective term to begin with.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:11 AM   #72
GeeBee

I even heard that there was a deleted line from the theme song that proved it was a spin-off. The original song went:

Temporary lay offs,

Good Times...

IT'S A MAUDIE SPIN-OFF,

Good Times...
Old 06-25-2003, 05:06 PM   #73
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by GeeBee
I even heard that there was a deleted line from the theme song that proved it was a spin-off. The original song went:

Temporary lay offs,

Good Times...

IT'S A MAUDIE SPIN-OFF,

Good Times...

Where did you hear that?
Old 06-26-2003, 09:45 AM   #74
dsitcombishop76
First Time Poster

Default did u watch e! true hollywood story

I just can't let it end like this, the magazine may have said one thing but out of their mouths came other stuff. i wouldn't necessarily consider it a spinoff either. the father's name was changed, it was henry on 'maude', james on 'good times'. But there is also an episode that she referred to herself past profession as a maid, and a darn good one she said. norman lear was approached by mike evans and eric monte according to 'E!'. i myself would say that it is not actually a spinoff. they didn't even want to have a father for the show when they initially were doing it, well, norman lear didn't. but esther rolle fought for it, so it's obvious they initially would have made another story for her than her character on maude. it's still debatable though.
dsitcombishop76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:51 AM   #75
GeeBee

Quote:
Where did you hear that?

I thought everyone knew about that deleted line in the Good Times theme song. You see, in the 70's they were just starting to tackle controversial topics like abortion, racism, V.D., feminism, homosexuality, etc. However, the debate over whether Good Times was a spin-off or not was a little too controversial even for then. So, they decided to play it safe and remove that controversial line, les they offend any viewers.