Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-26-2003, 02:43 PM   #46
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Why do you people bother to argue with a pig headed individual like Solomon. He claims to be a sitcom analyzer, yet doesn't know squat about television. Good Times has and always will be a spinoff. THE END!
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 02:49 PM   #47
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Damage
Why do you people bother to argue with a pig headed individual like Solomon. He claims to be a sitcom analyzer, yet doesn't know squat about television. Good Times has and always will be a spinoff. THE END!

Here are some more facts that supports Good Times wasn't a spinoff

!. Good Times first aired on February 1, 1974. Which was four days before the Maude Episode-"Florida's Goodbye" which was aired on February 5, 1974. So how could a spinoff start before her last appearance on Maude Brian????????????????????

2. The scripts for Good Times was written in 1971. Maude first aired in 1972 so explain that BRIAN?????????

I can't wait to hear your explanation
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 03:28 PM   #48
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Maude- Florida Evans

Good Times- Florida Evans

If there was no Maude, there would be no Good Times. Get it?!?
Old 05-26-2003, 03:38 PM   #49
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Maude- Florida Evans

Good Times- Florida Evans

If there was no Maude, there would be no Good Times. Get it?!?

Haven't heard of people having the same name? If there is a Mike Jones in Florida did you know there is another Mike Jones somewhere else in the U.S? So Florida Evans on Maude was Married to Henry Evans and lived in NEw York. Florida Evans on Good Times was married to JAMES EVANS and lived in Chicago. DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE SENSE TO YOU???
Old 05-26-2003, 03:49 PM   #50
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

That's the exact same question I'd like to ask you. Does any of this make sense to you. You are wrong as usual and want people to believe that your right. Good Times has always been a spinoff of Maude and always will be.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:52 PM   #51
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
That's the exact same question I'd like to ask you. Does any of this make sense to you. You are wrong as usual and want people to believe that your right. Good Times has always been a spinoff of Maude and always will be.

Do you want me to mail u a copy of the article that supports that Good Times is not a spinoff? If no, then this discussion is over.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:04 PM   #52
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Yes I do...I also want you to stop pretending you know about sitcoms because you don't. You seem to twist things to make yourself look smart.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:13 PM   #53
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Yes I do...I also want you to stop pretending you know about sitcoms because you don't. You seem to twist things to make yourself look smart.

Do you have anything for trade you can send me like a episode of a show?
Old 05-28-2003, 09:37 PM   #54
Sean Snow
moo
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Sean Snow

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLOMON

Haven't heard of people having the same name? If there is a Mike Jones in Florida did you know there is another Mike Jones somewhere else in the U.S? So Florida Evans on Maude was Married to Henry Evans and lived in NEw York. Florida Evans on Good Times was married to JAMES EVANS and lived in Chicago. DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE SENSE TO YOU???
You don't have two popular characters have the same name in the same time frame on TV. It only causes confusion, unless it's a spinoff. Look, SOLOMON: No matter what you say, just about everyone will continue to view Good Times as a spinoff. Why? Because your points aren't very good. All of what you say relies on one article and your own personal opinion; what we say relies on multiple references. Believe what you want, but you'll probably be the only one believing it.

And please, don't ask me once again 'do you understand now' or something to that effect. Yes, I understand, and everytime I look over what you're saying it only seems more moronic and idiotic and almost completely baseless.
Sean Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 09:44 PM   #55
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Snow

You don't have two popular characters have the same name in the same time frame on TV. It only causes confusion, unless it's a spinoff. Look, SOLOMON: No matter what you say, just about everyone will continue to view Good Times as a spinoff. Why? Because your points aren't very good. All of what you say relies on one article and your own personal opinion; what we say relies on multiple references. Believe what you want, but you'll probably be the only one believing it.

And please, don't ask me once again 'do you understand now' or something to that effect. Yes, I understand, and everytime I look over what you're saying it only seems more moronic and idiotic and almost completely baseless.

Just let me know if you have something to mail me if i mailed you this article explaining Good times is not a spinoff.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:48 PM   #56
Sean Snow
moo
Forum Veteran

Quote:

Just let me know if you have something to mail me if i mailed you this article explaining Good times is not a spinoff.
- sigh - I don't want the article. You posted what it said, and it doesn't convince me. You're only assuming on wording. I won't believe Good Times isn't a spinoff until I see in print that it definately is not a spinoff. Your assumptions from this article appear to be completely baseless to me, and I'm not alone because apparently no one else believes it isn't a spinoff... - sigh - What is the point of arguing with you? You just go on and on and on and on and on. O_O
Old 05-28-2003, 09:52 PM   #57
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:

- sigh - I don't want the article. You posted what it said, and it doesn't convince me. You're only assuming on wording. I won't believe Good Times isn't a spinoff until I see in print that it definately is not a spinoff. Your assumptions from this article appear to be completely baseless to me, and I'm not alone because apparently no one else believes it isn't a spinoff... - sigh - What is the point of arguing with you? You just go on and on and on and on and on. O_O

Well the executive producer Alan Manings said it as clear day. "We changed the Florida Evans character and that's why Good Times is not really a spinoff. Also Sean, did you know that Good Times was created before Maude?????????- Enough Said
Old 05-28-2003, 10:00 PM   #58
Sean Snow
moo
Forum Veteran

Quote:

Well the executive producer Alan Manings said it as clear day. "We changed the Florida Evans character and that's why Good Times is not really a spinoff. Also Sean, did you know that Good Times was created before Maude?????????- Enough Said
So what if it was created in the minds of the creators before "Maude"? "Knots Landing" was created before "Dallas" by David Jacobs, but KL ended up becoming a spinoff of "Dallas." So it's possible for a spinoff to be created before it's parent show and still be a spinoff.

And earlier, you said the article said this:
"Producer Alan Manings stated that the character Florida Evans was WRITTEN OUT of Maude instead of TRANSITIONED OFF MAUDE. Good Times is not a spinoff."

Which is it SOLOMON? I don't recall you ever saying that Alan said those exact words, which makes me curious because those words would've backed you up more than anything else in that article. Mmhmm. I smell something fishy in Denmark. And it sure isn't fish.

And I honestly don't care what you say anymore, so don't try to convince me with anything. And it's obvious you haven't convinced anyone else, either, because I don't see anyone agreeing.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #59
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:

So what if it was created in the minds of the creators before "Maude"? "Knots Landing" was created before "Dallas" by David Jacobs, but KL ended up becoming a spinoff of "Dallas." So it's possible for a spinoff to be created before it's parent show and still be a spinoff.

And earlier, you said the article said this:
"Producer Alan Manings stated that the character Florida Evans was WRITTEN OUT of Maude instead of TRANSITIONED OFF MAUDE. Good Times is not a spinoff."

Which is it SOLOMON? I don't recall you ever saying that Alan said those exact words, which makes me curious because those words would've backed you up more than anything else in that article. Mmhmm. I smell something fishy in Denmark. And it sure isn't fish.

And I honestly don't care what you say anymore, so don't try to convince me with anything. And it's obvious you haven't convinced anyone else, either, because I don't see anyone agreeing.

Look, Eric Monte and Mike Evans created Good Times in 1971, The scripts were already written and were being worked on from 1971-1974 by Alan Manings. And Sean you should be the first person to agree with me if you have the Maude episode Florida;s Goodbye. If you seen that episode and the first episode of Good Times then me and you have nothing else to talk about because you know and I know it's not a connection. Also Good Times started before Floria's last appeArance on maude. Good times started Feb 1, 1974 and her last appearance on Maude was Feb 5, 1974.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:19 PM   #60
623e68thst
Frequent Poster

"Well until someone comes up with a good explanation about why Good Times was based in Chicago and not NY, then Good Times will always be it's own show and not a spinoff"

Many spinoffs took place in different locations than the original series.

Frasier, Rhoda, Lou Grant, Gomer Pyle to name a few.
623e68thst is offline   Reply With Quote