Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,926
Default I found out in the 1974 issue of Ebony Magazine that Good Times is not a spinoff

Finally, after reading the 1974 issue of Ebony Magazine, i was able to find out that Good Times was not a spinoff of Maude. In the Article it states that Norman Lear asked Mike Evans-Lionel on the Jeffersons, to create a show for Esther Rolle that would make her the star of the show. That is why CBS sent a camera crew out to the Chicago Gettho to give the shw it's own IDENTITY!! So Good Times was basically a ideA that creator Eric Monte came up with that have nothing to do with Maude. They just forget to give the mother and father different names. Boy was that a big mistake. It clearly states that John Amos and Esther Rolle were such big hits on Maude that the were GIVEN there own show not SPINOFFed into their own series. So there, no more discussion about Good Times being a spinoff because it was in no way connected to Maude. I have been saying this long before i read the article in Ebony Magazine.
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:02 PM   #2
Sean Snow
moo
Forum Veteran
 
Sean Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 06, 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,364
Send a message via AIM to Sean Snow
Default

Well, 'identity' can mean various things. If a show doesn't have it's own identity and is connected with the parent show too much, it can cause a show to not get a large audience. That was a large error with the spinoff of the drama Dynasty - The Colbys. The show was too much connected to the parent show and because of this it couldn't come up with many plots that wern't connected to DYN until the second season. 'Identity' would mean it would be different from other shows - not the same old, same old.

In many places, it says Norman Fell and Audra Lindley were given their own show - The Ropers. Yet TR was a spinoff. So it depends on what they mean.

Yeah, some of the things were messed up between Maude and Good Times. I dunno. I would still consider it a spinoff. *shrug* I remember reading that a lot of changes happened between the Empty Nest pilot on The Golden Girls and Empty Nest, characterwise, yet it's still considered a spinoff. *Shrug*
Sean Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
ThomasE
Member
Moderator
Forum Veteran
 
ThomasE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2000
Location: New York, New York, U.S.A.
Posts: 10,729
Default but it is a spinoff......

SOLOMON you have got to let this thing rest. That article does NOT say that it was "not" a spinoff. It is as clear as day, man. You said in the posting that it was the article that said that it was an "idea" . Spinoffs are ideas that are taken from one area and full blown into something else. They did not forget to "change the names of the characters". They knew what they were doing. It seems as though you are using your own logic to come up with this answer. Florida Evans' character was spun off. There is no doubt about that.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #4
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,926
Default Re: but it is a spinoff......

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasE
SOLOMON you have got to let this thing rest. That article does NOT say that it was "not" a spinoff. It is as clear as day, man. You said in the posting that it was the article that said that it was an "idea" . Spinoffs are ideas that are taken from one area and full blown into something else. They did not forget to "change the names of the characters". They knew what they were doing. It seems as though you are using your own logic to come up with this answer. Florida Evans' character was spun off. There is no doubt about that.

Well until someone comes up with a good explanation about why Good Times was based in Chicago and not NY, then Good Times will always be it's own show and not a spinoff.
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #5
ThomasE
Member
Moderator
Forum Veteran
 
ThomasE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2000
Location: New York, New York, U.S.A.
Posts: 10,729
Default Re: Re: but it is a spinoff......

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLOMON



Well until someone comes up with a good explanation about why Good Times was based in Chicago and not NY, then Good Times will always be it's own show and not a spinoff.
SOLOMON you have crew memeber who were interviewed for the "E" true Hollywood story that state it was a spinoff of Maude. Yes, I see the fact that the show had it's own identity but it was spunoff. Setting location for the spinoff did not matter in this case, characters did. You can't post this as factual because it is your opinion from what you have read. Location does not matter, you have to understand that.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:01 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,926
Default Why I have a strong argument

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasE


SOLOMON you have crew memeber who were interviewed for the "E" true Hollywood story that state it was a spinoff of Maude. Yes, I see the fact that the show had it's own identity but it was spunoff. Setting location for the spinoff did not matter in this case, characters did. You can't post this as factual because it is your opinion from what you have read. Location does not matter, you have to understand that.
These spinoffs support my argument.
Laverne and Shirley-same city as Happy days

Jeffersons same State as All in the Family

Ropers same State as Three's Company

Now there were other spinoffs tha were in other cities but there was a explanation on why that character was in that city

Rhoda
Phyllis
Frasier
Mork and Mindy.
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:05 PM   #7
ThomasE
Member
Moderator
Forum Veteran
 
ThomasE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2000
Location: New York, New York, U.S.A.
Posts: 10,729
Default Re: Why I have a strong argument

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLOMON


These spinoffs support my argument.
Laverne and Shirley-same city as Happy days

Jeffersons same State as All in the Family

Ropers same State as Three's Company

Now there were other spinoffs tha were in other cities but there was a explanation on why that character was in that city

Rhoda
Phyllis
Frasier
Mork and Mindy.
Good Times is a spinoff. It's fragmented I'll admit that but Florida Evans was spunoff into her own world, man. City location alone is not supportive material to state whether a show is a spinoff or not. As far as explanation goes, it's TV they can do what they want. I didn't agree with the way it was done but TV is about creativity.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:25 PM   #8
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,926
Default Re: Re: Why I have a strong argument

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasE


Good Times is a spinoff. It's fragmented I'll admit that but Florida Evans was spunoff into her own world, man. City location alone is not supportive material to state whether a show is a spinoff or not. As far as explanation goes, it's TV they can do what they want. I didn't agree with the way it was done but TV is about creativity.

Well i'm going to watch the true hollywood story of Good Times right now because i don't remember hearing someone say that Good Times was a spinoff-So i have to see if i hear that.
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 05:06 PM   #9
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,926
Default Re: Re: Why I have a strong argument

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasE


Good Times is a spinoff. It's fragmented I'll admit that but Florida Evans was spunoff into her own world, man. City location alone is not supportive material to state whether a show is a spinoff or not. As far as explanation goes, it's TV they can do what they want. I didn't agree with the way it was done but TV is about creativity.

Well one of the writers did mention spinoff but without a explanation on why was Good Times based in Chicago
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:37 PM   #10
ThomasE
Member
Moderator
Forum Veteran
 
ThomasE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2000
Location: New York, New York, U.S.A.
Posts: 10,729
Default Re: Re: Re: Why I have a strong argument

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLOMON



Well one of the writers did mention spinoff but without a explanation on why was Good Times based in Chicago
There. You have a writer saying the same thing. John Ritter said it too in the 1st annual TV Land Awards promo. It's in all the Tv books. Besides, it's so obvious, James and Florida go from one show to another in same the same character form. If they wanted to switch to Chicago, that's their business. I wish they would have remained in NY or at least moved to Chicago, but they did what they wanted. Another fragmented spinoff was "Billy" from Head of the Class. He moved in with a female professor and married her so he could keep his green card and played his same character on Head of the Class.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:01 PM   #11
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,926
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I have a strong argument

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasE


There. You have a writer saying the same thing. John Ritter said it too in the 1st annual TV Land Awards promo. It's in all the Tv books. Besides, it's so obvious, James and Florida go from one show to another in same the same character form. If they wanted to switch to Chicago, that's their business. I wish they would have remained in NY or at least moved to Chicago, but they did what they wanted. Another fragmented spinoff was "Billy" from Head of the Class. He moved in with a female professor and married her so he could keep his green card and played his same character on Head of the Class.
Ok Thmomas, i received the 1975 issue of Ebony Magazine today in the mail and here is a quote by producer Allan Manings, "It wasn't really a spinoff," "It was one characer and we have changed that character".


So there is proof that Good Times was not a spinoff of Maude.
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:14 PM   #12
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,926
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I have a strong argument

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasE


There. You have a writer saying the same thing. John Ritter said it too in the 1st annual TV Land Awards promo. It's in all the Tv books. Besides, it's so obvious, James and Florida go from one show to another in same the same character form. If they wanted to switch to Chicago, that's their business. I wish they would have remained in NY or at least moved to Chicago, but they did what they wanted. Another fragmented spinoff was "Billy" from Head of the Class. He moved in with a female professor and married her so he could keep his green card and played his same character on Head of the Class.

Also in the article, Esther Rolle explains that her role on Good Times is far different from her role on Maude. She explained that the change of the Florida Evans character was natural. Her quote was "You are seeing a different side of Florida Evans, What I do in my madam's house is a facade, what i do at home is me" Now would I make all of this up????
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:20 PM   #13
Sean Snow
moo
Forum Veteran
 
Sean Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 06, 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,364
Send a message via AIM to Sean Snow
Default Why I have a strong argument

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLOMON

Also in the article, Esther Rolle explains that her role on Good Times is far different from her role on Maude. She explained that the change of the Florida Evans character was natural. Her quote was "You are seeing a different side of Florida Evans, What I do in my madam's house is a facade, what i do at home is me" Now would I make all of this up????
Just because it's far different doesn't mean it's a different character. If Maude, for example, turned into a serial killer who liked to murder innocent chickens, she would still be the same Maude but Maude would be far different from the way she once was. It sounds more like she's saying the character's evolved.
Sean Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:30 PM   #14
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,926
Default Re: Why I have a strong argument

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Snow


Just because it's far different doesn't mean it's a different character. If Maude, for example, turned into a serial killer who liked to murder innocent chickens, she would still be the same Maude but Maude would be far different from the way she once was. It sounds more like she's saying the character's evolved.

Sean please don't try and debate this anymore because I have posted the statment by produer Allan Manings who said "it wasn't really a spinoff, it was one character and we have changed that character. So this is no longer a debate.
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:38 PM   #15
ThomasE
Member
Moderator
Forum Veteran
 
ThomasE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2000
Location: New York, New York, U.S.A.
Posts: 10,729
Default

Well it still is up for debate if you ask me. We have two different sources saying two different things. It still appears spinoffish. Overall it is, anyone could see that. Anyway, SOLOMON, why are you so insistent on this topic anyway? Just wondering.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.