Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #181
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

This one is a bit more recent:

Around the time when it was announced that "LOST" was going to end Terry O'Quinn wanted to do a spin-off featuring himself and co-star Michael Emerson.

The plot he was interested in was to feature their "LOST" characters, John Locke and Ben Linus, as suburban teachers moonlighting as hitmen.

The creators of "LOST" said that they weren't going to do any spin-offs of the show. Terry O'Quinn tried to get J.J. Abrams on board with the proposed spin-off, but it ultimately never happened.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #182
Nyan
Be The Rainbow!
Frequent Poster

In an interview during the How to Succeed In Business era (I believe it was backstage after the Tony's) John Larroquette said that The John Larroquette Show was originally conceived by the network to be a Dan Fielding spinoff.

Of course then Frasier happened...
Nyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #183
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

was there a proposed spinoff from the Jeffersons with the willies tom and helen
Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #184
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

if there was, I never heard of it.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #185
Prince Michael
Forum Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
The Facts of Life actually had 3 spinoffs planned and nothing really materialized.
a.) a spinoff featuring Jo's cousins
b.) a spinoff where Natalie moves to NY to become a writer
c.) a spinoff where Blair buys Eastland school and becomes headmaster. That spinoff had Seth Green, Juliet Lewis and the future star of Blossom( I forget her name)
The Facts of Life tried mighty hard to create a spin -- off series . On The Facts of Life, Stone Military Academy was located down the road from Eastland School . Episode # 51 of The Facts of Life ( "The Academy" ) featured Jo dating a student from Stone Military Academy . Episode # 66 ( "The Big Fight" ) featured Natalie and a boy from Stone Military Academy . The characters affiliated with Stone Military Academy in "The Academy" episode were played by Jimmy Baio, Ben Marley, David Ackroyd, Peter Frechette, and John P. Navin, Jr . It looked like the producers of The Facts of Life wanted the main characters of a series about students at Stone Military Academy to be male copies of the girls on The Facts of Life .

Episod # 52 ( "Jo's Cousin" ) featured Jo visiting her family in the Bronx, including her cousin Terry, a teenage girl going through adolescence in a family full of men .

Episode # 188 ( "Rumor Has It..." ) introduced Blair's law professor Richard Katt ( Franc Luz ) whose ethic in the classroom stood in contrast to his reputation for having affairs with many of his students . Blair and Katt had several innocent encounters with Katt in his office where they discussed the classwork . Katt's wife walked in on one of his sessions with Blair, assumed they had an affair, and threatened to leave her husband . Katt resigned from Langley College in the wake of his rumored affair with Blair and became a lawyer at a law firm in Peekskill . In episode # 199 ( "Peekskill Law" ), Blair became an intern at that self -- same law firm and met Richard Katt again .

For the record, the girl on Blossom was Mayim Bialik . I'll admit I had to check to make sure I got her name right, but it's hard to forget a name like "Mayim Bialik"

If The Facts of Life didn't spawn a spin -- off series, it's not because the producers didn't try !

Last edited by Prince Michael; 11-22-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Prince Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #186
Prince Michael
Forum Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
back in the 70s, there was talk about doing a spin-off of "ALL IN THE FAMILY" about a priest who was on the show named Father Muljecy, or something.

And I think I remember reading somewhere back then that they were thinking of spining off Lenny and Squiggy from "LAVERNE & SHIRLEY".
Quote:
in the 70s, they were going to make a spin-off from "ALL IN THE FAMILY" about Fr. Muljeshky; who was a priest on some of the early episode; played by Benard Hughes.
Quote:
I think there was going to be a "Laverne & Shirley" spinoff about Lenny & Squiggy.
At one poinnt, there was going to be an "ALL IN THE FAMILY" spinoff about Fr. Muljescy-a priest that was played by Bernard Hughes on "AITF".
His name was Father John Majeski, and he appeared in the episodes "Edith's Accident", "Edith Flips Her Wig", and "Edith's Conversion" of All in the Family . I thought he only appeared in two episodes ! I don't know what they could have done with Father Majeski in a regular series, but the salty sense of humor he used on Archie Bunker would have been interesting .

Last edited by Prince Michael; 02-15-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #187
Prince Michael
Forum Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason3fc
I know its not a sitcom, but the original Star Trek back in the 60's had a show that was intended as a spin off to a totally new show that took place in modern (then) times.

The pilot was the episode Assignment:Earth and it included a guy from the 60s named Gary Seven who was taken by aliens in the 60s and made a super human and put back on earth to save earth from its dumb decisions. It even had a very flaky Terri Garr as his assistant on earth.

It is so obvious it is a spin off, and the way they worked it into the ST universe was totally dorky, and just didnt work.

Well the show didnt either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJL
Oh, C'mon ! That was a classic !
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dey
I remember that, and Teri Garr was a babe in that one .
Quote:
back in the 60s; Gene Rodenberry wanted to make a spin-off of "STAR TREK". I forget what it was going to be called, but it would have been about a man named Gary Seven who was a human raised by aliens, or something like that. The pilot aired as an episode of "STAR TREK".
Quote:
there was an attempt to make a spin-off of "STAR TREK" in its second season, about a character named Gary Seven and his partner Roberta Lincoln (played by Terri Garr). The pilot was shown as an episode of "STAR TREK" but the show never materialized.
That was episode # 55 from the second season . It featured Gary Seven ( Robert Lansing ), his secretary, Roberta Lincoln ( Terri Garr ), and Gary's cat, Isis, who could turn into a human woman ( Victoria Vetri ) . Gary Seven was trained by aliens to prevent the people of Earth from destroying themselves . If there had been a series based on this episode, it might have been called Assignment : Earth . I wish there had been a third season episode of Star Trek where Captain Kirk and Mr . Spock visited Gary Seven again .

I read where Gary Seven lived in twentieth -- century San Francisco, and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home also took place in twentieth -- century San Francisco . It's too bad Gary Seven didn't make an appearance in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home . Since there wasn't an Assignment : Earth TV series, a second episode featuring Gary Seven or an appearance in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, I wish there had been an extra Star Trek movie where Captain Kirk and Mr . Spock visited Gary Seven again ( Star Trek : Assignment : Earth ) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assignm...f_series_pilot

http://www.assignmentearth.ca

Last edited by Prince Michael; 06-24-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #188
Regulus

Season Four of Emergency! had an episode called 905 Wild where Gage and Desoto work with a Veterinarian which started off with an entirely different Opening Theme. It's quite obvious this was a Pilot Episode for a Spinoff that never happened.

Bucket List Shows: Hot Wheels, Skyhawks, Run Joe Run, Westwood
Regulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #189
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Michael
That was episode # 55 from the second season . It featured Gary Seven ( Robert Lansing ), his secretary, Roberta Lincoln ( Terri Garr ), and Gaty's cat, Isis, who could turn into a human woman ( Victoria Vetri ) . Gary Seven was trained by aliens to prevent the people of Earth from destroying themselves . If there had been a series based on this episode, it might have been called Assignment : Earth . I wish there had been a third season episode of Star Trek where Captain Kirk and Mr . Spock visited Gary Seven again .

I read where Gary Seven lived in twentieth -- century San Francisco, and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home also took place in twentieth -- century San Francisco . It's too bad Gary Seven didn't make an appearance in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home . Since there wasn't anAssignment : Earth TV series, a second episode featuring Gary Seven or an appearance in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, I wish there had been an extra Star Trek movie where Captain Kirk and Mr . Spock visited Gary Seven again ( Star Trek : Assignment : Earth ) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assignm...f_series_pilot

http://www.assignmentearth.ca
I seriously doubt they called use that as the plot of a 2 hour movie.
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #190
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

I remember hearing that at one point, there were plans for a Gilligan's Island spin-off in which Gilligan married Mary Ann, the Professor married Ginger, and both couples had kids.

The Disney Channel series That's So Raven at one time planned to give the character Donna Cabonna her own series. It was to have focused on Cabonna and her new intern Symóne (an obvious reference to Raven Symóne).

Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain, a spin-off of Pinky and the Brain and cross-over with Tiny Toons was brought about by the new heads at Kids WB, who wanted PatB to be more like The Simpsons. WB's decision was to add more characters to the series. The creators of Pinky and the Brain were pretty peeved about this new series. At one point, they even express their anger in the opening theme song ("It's what the network wants. Why bother to complain?")

I remember Diff'rent Strokes had a backdoor pilot involving someone teaching a night school for immigrants.

Last edited by Joe M. Davis; 07-22-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Joe M. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:16 AM   #191
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

A few proposed spin-offs of film series:

Laurel and Hardy's Fabulous Fables - Developed around 1956, this was Intended to be a series of color television specials that would have featured Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy in stories based on popular fairy tales. Laurel completed the script for the first episode ("Babes in the Woods"), but had a stroke shortly before production was to begin.

The Little Rascals In 1977, Norman Lear produced a series of pilots (some sources say two episodes were shot, while others say as many as three or four were made) based on Hal Roach's Our Gang/Little Rascals series. At least Lear's name was attached to the series. He later claimed to have no involvement with the production. This would have been a modernized version of the Rascals. One episode would have featured the kids facing off a gang of martians. Among the kids cast in the series were then-unkown Gary Coleman (as "Stymie"), Christopher Gardner, David Hollander, Doug McKeon, and Patricia Ann Patts. The original Stymie (Matthew Beard) appeared in an episode. The series was never sold, and the pilots never aired. One was shown recently at a Gary Coleman memorial exhibit.

King World (the Rascals former owners) had several plans for other revivals/spin-offs for both film and TV, but few made it past planning stages.

The Marx Brothers - One of the earliest of many attempts at doing an animated version of a live action franchise. Produced by Filmation, a five minute pilot ("A Day at the Horse Opera") was completed and pitched to the networks. Groucho Marx was a consultant on the pilot, and may have provided his own voice. Don't know who played Chico. And Harpo, well, you know. Joe Besser was also featured. The pilot never aired, and the series never sold. After spending years in the vaults, it was finally shown to the public at the 2012 Comic-Con (it show up at about 48 minutes in).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhZCW1Zmnew
Old 07-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #192
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M. Davis
I remember hearing that at one point, there were plans for a Gilligan's Island spin-off in which Gilligan married Mary Ann, the Professor married Ginger, and both couples had kids.

The Disney Channel series That's So Raven at one time planned to give the character Donna Cabonna her own series. It was to have focused on Cabonna and her new intern Symóne (an obvious reference to Raven Symóne).

Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain, a spin-off of Pinky and the Brain and cross-over with Tiny Toons was brought about by the new heads at Kids WB, who wanted PatB to be more like The Simpsons. WB's decision was to add more characters to the series. The creators of Pinky and the Brain were pretty peeved about this new series. At one point, they even express their anger in the opening theme song ("It's what the network wants. Why bother to complain?")

I remember Diff'rent Strokes had a backdoor pilot involving someone teaching a night school for immigrants.
That spin-off from Pinky and the Brain was horrible. The original was and is still the best.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #193
Mace Dolex

As a kid not knowing what the term "backdoor pilot" meant I was always confused watching my favorite show when all of a sudden an episode will pop with the focus on characters that are not part of the show.

Here's from Who's The Boss?
- The first attempted Who's the Boss? spin-off had its origins in the final episode of season 2, "Charmed Lives", a backdoor pilot for a program about two women up for the same job. Starring Fran Drescher and Donna Dixon, it was not picked up as a series.

In 1987, producers had planned a spin-off entitled Mona, which focused on Mona's character leaving Angela to help her brother Cornelius run a seedy hotel in Manhattan.[20] The third season featured this plot in a two-part episode, but when ABC changed their mind about the spinoff, fearing what Mona's departure could mean to the show, the ending was rewritten to feature Mona returning to Angela's home.

The next attempted spin-off, which did make it to series, was titled Living Dolls. Premiering and ending in 1989, the show starred Leah Remini, Michael Learned, and Halle Berry. The show featured Remini, who had appeared in two Who's the Boss? episodes as a friend of Samantha's, as a homeless model taken under the wing of an agent played by Learned.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #194
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

After the success of the reunion flick Rescue From Gilligan's Island, NBC asked Sherwood Schwartz to create a new Gilligan's Island series during the late 70's. The result were the TV movies The Castaways on Gilligan's Island and The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island, both of which acted as pilots for the proposed spin-off.

The idea was that the location of the castaways' island was finally discovered, and the Howells decided to celebrate by building a hotel resort. Gilligan and co. ran the hotel. Guest stars would show up each week (think The Love Boat). The reason for including guest stars was that Schwartz didn't want to put the now older Gilligan cast through so many physical demands. From what I understand, the Gilligan/Globetrotters movie received low ratings.

Had ALF gone on for a fifth season, the entire setting would have been changed. Paul Fusco and the writers were running out of ideas for stories involving ALF in the Tanner home. It was decided that the following season would find ALF kidnapped and held hostage in a military base. Inevitably, ALF more or less becomes Sgt. Bilko, and drives everyone insane. I'm assuming the Tanners would have been written out.

Season 4 ended on a cliffhanger, in which ALF is discovered by the Alien Task Force. However, NBC decided to kick the show in favor of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, thus leaving audiences with a surprisingly dark ending for the series. The concept for the fifth season was later reworked into the TV movie Project: ALF (which, from what I understand, was intended to be a backdoor pilot for ABC).
Old 07-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #195
Mace Dolex

TV critics complain at how awful a show Small Wonder was with it's premise of a computer tech father that creates a life like 10-year old girl, at least that show was in first run syndication where expectations aren't as high.

But the premise of ALF is just as equally absurd that I don't know how an actual TV executive at NBC thought of it as a good idea.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote