Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #91
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
Well like I have said many times here, there are illegal activities that go on with Indian reservations like meth manufacturing and drug trafficking.
Oh, so like...everything that goes on outside reservations?

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #92
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Well like I have said many times here, there are illegal activities that go on with Indian reservations like meth manufacturing and drug trafficking. If there was more behind this then these people are not going to get on national tv and talk about it. They have to live with the people they may feel where behind this.
There's drug trafficking in every area in the US, not just reservations. Why would criminals use an intentional car accident (if this is what this was) as a method of execution?There are far better methods that ensure that there are no witnesses left to testify what happened.

Last edited by cocytus; 01-05-2011 at 03:10 PM.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #93
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
There's drug trafficking in every area in the US, not just reservations. Why would criminals use an intentional car accident (if this is what this was) as a method of execution?
There are far better methods that ensure that there are no witnesses left to testify what happened.
Exactly. If someone were trying to run them off the road they almost certainly would have checked the cab of the car for other witnesses. The fact that Arnold's cousin was still alive tells me this was not the case.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #94
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
And they never presented a clear cut motive anyone would have in killing Arnold and Ruby.

This may be a case of a family who will not accept an accidental death and is dead set on murder being the only motive. Plus, and I don't want this to sound harsh, the parents knew Arnold was drunk and did not attempt to stop him from driving that night. They may feel guilty for that as well.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 AM   #95
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Oh, so like...everything that goes on outside reservations?
Yes exactly but its more confined to a small community
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #96
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
There's drug trafficking in every area in the US, not just reservations. Why would criminals use an intentional car accident (if this is what this was) as a method of execution?There are far better methods that ensure that there are no witnesses left to testify what happened.
Good question, I really don't know the answer. Only entertaining possiblities. Like I said it could be that they where being chased and crashed. Then someone took advantage of the situation and didnt realize the other witness was in the car.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #97
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Good question, I really don't know the answer. Only entertaining possiblities. Like I said it could be that they where being chased and crashed. Then someone took advantage of the situation and didnt realize the other witness was in the car.
But if someone were truly chasing them trying to silence them for whatever reason, they would want to check to car to see if there were any other potential witnesses/survivors.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #98
Hambone2421

Quote:
Plus if they were being chased, wouldn't the survivor of the crash have said something about that by now?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #99
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
Plus if they were being chased, wouldn't the survivor of the crash have said something about that by now?
I have covered this before. If foul play was involved then I doubt the cousin is going to set her self up to be next. If someone got away with killing them I highly doubt she is going to risk her own life by talking. Maybe thats why she seems to have such a clear recolection of events until they exit the vehicle at which point she seems to know nothing.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #100
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
But if someone were truly chasing them trying to silence them for whatever reason, they would want to check to car to see if there were any other potential witnesses/survivors.
This happened on a public road. Obviously its not a desolate road because someone came along to help not long after it happened. If someone was chasing down Arnold and Ruby then maybe they wanted to get out of there quick before someone else came along.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #101
dks64
Forum Regular

Just watched the segment for the hundredth time... there isn't a doubt in my mind that fowl play was involved. I truly believe they died that night following the crash.
dks64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #102
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

If they were murdered, then why? What is the reason? It's bizarre how they were found in different stages of decomposition. Arnold was found deeper in the water than Ruby was. Why was her body only found in shallow water and his wasn't? Something also tells me that someone held onto their bodies until they were dumped in the ditch because police searched that area thoroughly before their bodies were found. I have a feeling that someone might've used Ruby for necrophilia after she died and before her body was dumped, but that's just my opinion.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #103
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
If they were murdered, then why? What is the reason? It's bizarre how they were found in different stages of decomposition. Arnold was found deeper in the water than Ruby was. Why was her body only found in shallow water and his wasn't? Something also tells me that someone held onto their bodies until they were dumped in the ditch because police searched that area thoroughly before their bodies were found. I have a feeling that someone might've used Ruby for necrophilia after she died and before her body was dumped, but that's just my opinion.
If they were murdered, this would mean that several people would have had to have been involved in their deaths. Arnold was a big guy, so one person alone would not have been able to haul his body away from the pond to then bring it back to the exact location of the accident and dump it for some unknown reason. It would have been difficult for two people. Same with Ruby. It would have been extremely difficult for one person to move bodies back and forth for some nefarious purpose. So that begs the question, how many people were involved? Why would more than one person want Arnold and Ruby dead? And why would several people be hauling Arnold and Ruby's bodies around all the while leaving the one surviving witness alive and well in the car? It just doesn't make any sense. I'll have to use Occam's Razor on this one. There was an accident involving drunk occupants, so any decision Arnold and/or Ruby made would have been impaired by alcohol. I think it's as simple as an accident that resulted in Arnold and Ruby walking away from the crash site, probably in a drunken disorderly state, and they died shortly after near the crash site. Their bodies were simply missed initially by investigators.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #104
saywhat
Frequent Poster

When I watched this segment as a kid, I thought it was quite the mystery. Now, I definitely think that it was an accident. It's telling that even after they found Ruby's body, they still could not see Arnold's body with the naked eye - they had to drain the ditch, and then they found him! Does this not suggest that his body was, in fact, difficult to see? It stands to reason that Ruby's body would have been similarly difficult to see before the ice thawed to the extent that it had when she was found.

It's also interesting that the coroner found the cause of death to be exposure. This fits the accident scenario like a glove. As other posters have asked, who kills people by exposure? Even if someone did kill them in this way, the coincidental timing is literally unbelievable.
saywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #105
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhat
When I watched this segment as a kid, I thought it was quite the mystery. Now, I definitely think that it was an accident. It's telling that even after they found Ruby's body, they still could not see Arnold's body with the naked eye - they had to drain the ditch, and then they found him! Does this not suggest that his body was, in fact, difficult to see? It stands to reason that Ruby's body would have been similarly difficult to see before the ice thawed to the extent that it had when she was found.

It's also interesting that the coroner found the cause of death to be exposure. This fits the accident scenario like a glove. As other posters have asked, who kills people by exposure? Even if someone did kill them in this way, the coincidental timing is literally unbelievable.
I entirely agree with everything you've mentioned in your post. As has been stated at the beginning of this thread, the differing stages of decomposition can easily be explained as well for the very reasons you mentioned--the two were in different points in the water, especially when the spring thaw came.

Earlier in this thread was a post by someone who seemed to either live in the area or had people close to the investigation. He or she stated the two were found in something like ten inches of water. That's enough to slow decomposition--the cold weather itself is enough to slow it considerably (and the Dakotas are COLD in winter). Tissue breaks down more slowly. There's little to no insect activity. The body itself will freeze.

As absolutely tragic as the accident was, this never seemed like much of a mystery to me. They were driving drunk, there was a wreck, they wandered out into a freezing winter night, and were found dead from exposure. That's the simplest explanation, and IMO the most likely.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote