Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soaps Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Soaps

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-31-2019, 03:06 AM   #1
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

TV Gina Tognoni Let Go as Michelle Stafford Returns to "Y&R"

"Young and the Restless" Switcheroo: Stafford Returns, Tognoni Out!
by Matt Webb Mitovich
March 30, 2019

In a rare instance of recast uncasting, "The Young and the Restless" is welcoming back Michelle Stafford to the role of Phyllis, as soap vet Gina Tognoni parts ways with the CBS serial.

Daytime Confidential first reported on the reversal, citing multiple sources.

Stafford exited the role of Phyllis Summers in August 2013, after a 16-year run in which she went 2-for-10 in Daytime Emmy wins. Seven months later, she debuted on GH as Dr. Silas Clay’s presumed dead wife, Nin, who has since married into the Cassadine family (as I understand it).

Daytime Confidential hears that with her GH contract up, Stafford and ABC’s lone soap were unable to reach terms.

Tognoni — best known at the time for her run as "One Life to Live’s" Kelly Cramer — took over as Y&R‘s Phyllis a year after Stafford’s exit. In her time with the CBS sudser, she netted two Daytime Emmy nods, converting once (in 2017).

During her days as "Guiding Light’s" Dinah, she earned her first two Daytime Emmy wins.

In a statement posted to Instagram, Tognoni said, “Five years ago, I was blessed to embrace the incredible character of Phyllis Summers Abbott. I am beyond grateful for the creative experience that Y&R has given to me as well as the amazing relationships I made with the cast, crew/staff, producers and writers.

I love my Genoa City family, which made it easy for me to give my 110% every day. My long commutes always went smoothly because I loved where I worked and the people I worked with.

My thanks to Sony Pictures Television and CBS and a special thank you to the Y&R viewers for their love and support. I wish Y&R continued success and everything it richly deserves.

https://tvline.com/2019/03/30/young-...a-tognoni-out/
Attached Images

JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
HuntingtonM15
That Bothers Me
Forum Veteran

This really set the internet on fire Saturday night. It's been called the biggest soap casting shock of the past decade, and I agree.

Years ago I would have never wanted anyone but Michelle to play Phyllis. It wouldn't have even been an option. But in 2013 Michelle made it clear as day that she was bored playing Phyllis and she was done with the character for good. Now, Michelle is a brilliant actress but you could clearly see she was bored. She had been phoning it in for months prior to her exit.

Gina not only made Phyllis her own, she brought a spark back to the character that had been missing for ages. She was fun to watch, fun to love and fun to hate. I've never been so torn over a Y&R casting. On one hand, I don't see anyone other than Phyllis when I see Michelle Stafford. On the other hand, I feel heartbroken for Gina and will miss her dearly. If they really did let Gina go just to bring back Michelle...well, I just wouldn't support that at all.
HuntingtonM15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
TV Guy

The downside of replacing a successful actor on a show like this is that there is always a good chance that the original actor will reclaim his role. I’m sure Gina realized that when she took the job. Not that it doesn’t stink for her, but she went in with her eyes open.

That said, this is the second time Michelle Stafford has gotten her replacement fired.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #4
KatieAnn
Forum Regular

Gina made the character of Phyllis tolerable for me, I could never stand Michelle in the role, but I did find her easier to watch on GH. Michelle's Phyllis was too campy, imo.

I don't know if MS is worth bringing back in the role when Gina did such a good job, and I'm not looking forward to her return.
KatieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 PM   #5
HuntingtonM15
That Bothers Me
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy View Post
The downside of replacing a successful actor on a show like this is that there is always a good chance that the original actor will reclaim his role. I’m sure Gina realized that when she took the job. Not that it doesn’t stink for her, but she went in with her eyes open.

That said, this is the second time Michelle Stafford has gotten her replacement fired.
I just don't think that should be an option. There shouldn't be a clause that the original actor can reclaim their role.

Did that happen with Phyllis the last time she was recast? I wasn't a regular viewer back then. I know Sandra Nelson exited the show at some point in '99 and Michelle didn't return until the summer of '00.

I read that Y&R reached out to Michelle upon hearing her GH contract negotiations weren't going well. So I'm not sure if Michelle herself was solely responsible for getting Gina fired? In any case, it's a situation I'm definitely not happy about right now.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
HuntingtonM15
That Bothers Me
Forum Veteran

Just to remember how truly damn good Gina was in this role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=651MUieSz8s
Old 04-01-2019, 11:19 PM   #7
Wawwie

I think it really sucks that Y&R has dumped Gina after five glorious years of her spectacular talent and loyalty. Michelle is also a snake to take away Gina's job. They all blow IMO.
Maybe Gina will move on to The Bold & the Beautiful.
Y&R has made some really sucky decisions recently. First with the ridiculous recast of Adam Newman and now this.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
HuntingtonM15
That Bothers Me
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie View Post
Y&R has made some really sucky decisions recently. First with the ridiculous recast of Adam Newman and now this.
Not to mention diminishing vets like Doug Davidson, who was only brought back on recurring status recently due to fan outrage and support from his co-stars, namely Eric Braeden.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonM15 View Post
Not to mention diminishing vets like Doug Davidson, who was only brought back on recurring status recently due to fan outrage and support from his co-stars, namely Eric Braeden.
Yes, that was super crazy, idiotic, ridiculous decision. Most YR fans LOVE Doug a.k.a. "Paul." I know I sure do. He's another great actor. YR tends to treat their actors very poorly.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #10
80sTrivia
Pop Culture Soothsayer
Forum Veteran

I felt the same that no other actress could replace Michelle Stafford as Phyllis until it was announced Gina Tognoni was taking over the role. Gina is definitely amazing and made the character of Phyllis her own. I know she will go on to other amazing opportunities because she is incredibly talented. The soaps are infamous for treating their actors so shoddily...
80sTrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonM15 View Post
I just don't think that should be an option. There shouldn't be a clause that the original actor can reclaim their role.
Look at what happened on AMC when Rebecca Budig wanted to come back as Greenlee. ABC went full swing with "The Real Greenlee Returns" ads while the replacement still aired.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
KatieAnn
Forum Regular

Is there a "clause" about the original actor reclaiming a role? It seems like MS became available and let Y&R know and they decided to drop Gina in favour of Michelle. Y&R could have passed, couldn't they?

I'm sure that a lot of the time the original actor is the "fan favorite" but I don't think that in this case that's true. Gina really added something special to Phyllis that was missing before.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #13
TV Guy

There is no clause. In general, the actors on these shows can be dropped every 13 weeks, even if they have a multi year contract. And even if the producers didn’t have an “out” like that, they could simply pay out their contracts and drop them from the show.

Y&R could have passed. But in the era of diminishing ratings, they want to call attention to the show by rehiring someone who was there when the ratings were much better.

I think it’s shoddy treatment, especially since this is not a failed recast. Gina has been playing the role for over five years. But that’s show biz.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #14
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Lost alum Cynthia Watros is taking over a General Hospital star's role

A Young and the Restless vet, Watros will succeed Michelle Stafford in the role of Nina Clay-Cassadine. Stafford has been on General Hospital since 2014.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #15
KatieAnn
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Lost alum Cynthia Watros is taking over a General Hospital star's role

A Young and the Restless vet, Watros will succeed Michelle Stafford in the role of Nina Clay-Cassadine. Stafford has been on General Hospital since 2014.
I remember Watros briefly taking over the role of Vicky on Another World a long time ago and actually preferring her performance over the actress who had been playing the role for years.

I hope Gina gets something soon.