Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soaps Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Soaps

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Question What Was Your Favorite Primetime Soap? Dallas? Dynasty? Falcon's Crest? Hotel? Other?

Do or did you have a favorite Primetime soap? It could be anything from Knot's Landing to The Colby's to Desperate Housewives to Gossip Girl....

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

It was and always will be Dallas. I first started watching in 1978 beginning with episode 12 and I never stopped until the finale. I bought Dallas books and I bought the Dallas record. I watched reruns for years and I bought all the DVDs. lol My second favorite soap was KL and it was a better show from start to finish than Dallas was. It never really JTS. I watched it when it first came on but I stopped and didn't watch it again until 1985 when I turned it on to see how they would deal with Bobby Ewing's death. So at least Bobby's death did have one good thing happen because of it. It made me a KL fan. I watched it from 1985 until it went off the air and eventually I saw the missing episodes from the seasons I missed. so for me, Dallas is #1 and KL is #2. I never could get into Falcon Crest and I didn't get into Dynasty until I watched it when FX aired it in the 1990's.

Wow I noticed I made alot of mistakes. That's what happens when you don't proofread. lol

Last edited by Mr. Television; 06-06-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
McGillicuddy

Dynasty along with The Colbys for me. That was a fun "era". In the '90's Melrose Place. I never took the time to get into the others.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

I never watched Falcon Crest but I heard good things about it. Liked Dynasty for a couple years but it just got really over the top with the long lost relatives and 'returns from the dead'.

Dallas was the king for a long time. I loved the first few seasons but for me, after Jock (and Jim Davis) died, it went downhill some and after the horrible "Bobby's dead/not dead" season it was kind of unwatchable. For me, Knots Landing had the most complex characters and (somewhat at least) realistic storylines. I watched that show from the pilot to the finale, all fourteen seasons, and it's a rare example of a show that I thought actually had a decent ending for its characters. Wasn't as crazy about the reunion film, though.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

I never really got to see many of the primetime soaps, but I do like what I've seen of Knots Landing, via DVD. When it was originally on, that was my Girl Scout leader's show. That's why we never had our weekly troop meetings on Thursdays.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Dallas all the way. I remember when they came back for the third season after J.R. got shot. It aired at a special time on Sunday at 10PM (instead of its usual 9PM on Fridays). I begged my mother to let me stay up and watch it, but it was a school night and had to go to bed. I did see it later in the season.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
I never watched Falcon Crest but I heard good things about it. Liked Dynasty for a couple years but it just got really over the top with the long lost relatives and 'returns from the dead'.

Dallas was the king for a long time. I loved the first few seasons but for me, after Jock (and Jim Davis) died, it went downhill some and after the horrible "Bobby's dead/not dead" season it was kind of unwatchable. For me, Knots Landing had the most complex characters and (somewhat at least) realistic storylines. I watched that show from the pilot to the finale, all fourteen seasons, and it's a rare example of a show that I thought actually had a decent ending for its characters. Wasn't as crazy about the reunion film, though.

I remember watching the episode where J.R., Bobby and Ray went to South America to look for Jock. At the end it showed that portrait of Jock, and thats when I first found out that Jim Davis had died.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
I remember watching the episode where J.R., Bobby and Ray went to South America to look for Jock. At the end it showed that portrait of Jock, and thats when I first found out that Jim Davis had died.
I was listening to the radio in the spring of 1981. The headline on the top of the news reported that one of the stars of Dallas was dead. That's how I found out about it. It shocked me. Watching the show in syndication, you can see that Jim Davis was ill . However, when you only watch it once a week and aren't looking for it , it isn't obvious.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I never really got to see many of the primetime soaps, but I do like what I've seen of Knots Landing, via DVD. When it was originally on, that was my Girl Scout leader's show. That's why we never had our weekly troop meetings on Thursdays.
My 12th grade English teacher always told us about last night's Dynasty episode every Thursday. It was a ritual with her. I wanted to tell her to give it a rest. Dallas was the best soap.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
adamchandler
Frequent Poster

Knots Landing will always be my favorite soap/show period. I enjoyed others like Melrose place and Dallas, i couldn't get past the first 12 episodes of Falcon crest and tried my hardest to like dynasty because of the hype but didn't like it either.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I liked Dynasty, Dallas, Knots Landing and Falcon Crest. Didn't get into Flamingo Road. I thought 80's night time soap opera types show were great.
I miss those days. I can't find much on now that I like.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup.merry@veri
I liked Dynasty, Dallas, Knots Landing and Falcon Crest. Didn't get into Flamingo Road. I thought 80's night time soap opera types show were great.
I miss those days. I can't find much on now that I like.
I liked Flamingo Road. I wonder why it didn't last longer? I guess because it was on NBC and NBC sucked back then...sort of like now. lol
Old 01-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
factsoflife

I loved so many primetime soaps, but my all-time favorite would have to be Beverly Hills, 90210, although Melrose Place is a close second.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #14
Schmoopie
Future Oregonian
Forum Veteran

I really got into Knott's Landing for a while. They would show it in the summer on CBS and they started showing 3 eps in a row. So you could go through a whole season in about a week!

September 23, 1961-January 14, 2019

Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

Dallas and Dynasty and The Colbys for Barabara Stanwyck. I also liked Falcon Crest too.