Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

All Other TV Shows Photo Gallery / Sketch Comedy/Variety/Talk Shows/Late Night TV Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > All Other TV Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Stars from Fan-Favorite Series Reunite on It's a Wonderful Lifetime; HGTV's A Very Brady Contest
FXX Comedy Archer Gets 11th Season; TBS Sets Date for Comedy Game Show with The Good Place Star
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 22, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Last Call with Carson Daly is ending after 17 years

https://ew.com/tv/2019/02/12/carson-daly-nbc-last-call/

Carson Daly is calling it quits with his late-night show to spend more time with his family, but NBC plans to replace Last Call with a new show in the 1:30 slot. A finale date has yet to be announced. ďIf you had told me in 2002 I would be a part of the historic NBC late-night family for 17 years, I would have said you were crazy,Ē Daly said in a statement. ďHard to believe itís been so long Ė 2,000 episodes. Itís time to move on to something new and let someone else have access to this incredible platform.Ē Last Call premiered on Jan. 8, 2002 as a successor to the long-running post-Late Night interview show Later. Daly originally hosted Last Call like a traditional talk show, taping in Saturday Night Live's Studio 8H. Last Call evolved to its current format, featuring pre-taped long-form interviews and musical performances by emerging artists. NBC notes that Daly's work had him appearing on all three-dayparts -- late-night with Last Call, mornings with Today and primetime with The Voice. My 20ís was about finding a good job,Ē Daly said. ďMy 30ís was about taking on as many of them as I could. Now, in my 40ís, Iím focused on quality over quantity Ö Iím forever grateful and proud to all who have worked with us at Last Call over the years. "
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

If NBC wants Last Call to be a brand, I say just find a new host for Last Call for next season to replace Carson, considering how difficult it would be to come up with a completely new title.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:44 AM   #3
JSP

I didn’t know that show was still on.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:26 AM   #4
Heenan Fan

Who?
Heenan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:31 AM   #5
AMackII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I didnít know that show was still on.
For At Least Right Now, Yes. Iím guessing the finale of Last Call with Carson Daly will be on either March 28th, May 2nd, May 10th or May 17th because NBC can have plenty of time to figure out who can be Carsonís Late Night successor since Carson already just took his talents to The Voice & The Today Show in recent years.
AMackII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMackII View Post
For At Least Right Now, Yes. Iím guessing the finale of Last Call with Carson Daly will be on either March 28th, May 2nd, May 10th or May 17th because NBC can have plenty of time to figure out who can be Carsonís Late Night successor since Carson already just took his talents to The Voice & The Today Show in recent years.
What a bland legacy, to be on TV for 17 years and capture no real media attention for the show you put on.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
AMackII

Quote:
What a bland legacy, to be on TV for 17 years and capture no real media attention for the show you put on.
Well, At Least Carson was better as the host of Total Request Live on MTV from 1998 to 2003. Itís a perfect time for Carson to walk away from Last Call once the 17 year old late night show enters its 2000th episode before later this year but iíve never watch NBCís Last Call on weeknight because iím in bed asleep.
AMackII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
I didn’t know that show was still on.
I believe that his budget was gutted to pay for Conan Brien's exit. He had to reformat the show (the show had morphed from a studio produced one-on-one interview show, to a traditional talk show with house band, to documentary-style field interview program), and they quit advertising it altogether. Another reason for why the show likely changed so much was around that time is that Carson also become a correspondent / co-host of The Today Show.

Last edited by TMC; 03-15-2019 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:49 AM   #9
TMC
Forum Celebrity

NBC taps YouTube star Lilly Singh to replace Carson Daly, becoming broadcast TV's only female late-night host

Last Call with Carson Daly will give way to A Little Late with Lilly Singh in September, NBC announced this evening. NBC says A Little Late will feature Singh conducting interviews in-studio, participating in comedy sketches and other "signature elements." The 30-year-old Singh was formally introduced on Thursday's Tonight Show. “An Indian-Canadian woman with her own late night show? Now that is a dream come true,” Singh said in a statement. “I’m thrilled to bring it to life on NBC, and I hope my parents consider this to be as exciting as a grandchild.” ALSO: Watch Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers welcome Singh to NBC late-night with a champagne toast.

Will Lilly Singh's massive YouTube following deliver viewers to NBC's 1:35 timeslot?

NBC's announcement that Singh will succeed Carson Daly with A Little Late With Lilly Singh, making her the first female host of a network late-night show since Joan Rivers in the 1980s, was met with applause. Singh has a massive audience on YouTube with 14.5 million subscribers to her channel. But as Hazel Cills points out, young people don't watch late-night TV these days. Cills says it's "unclear how Singh’s audience will translate not just to traditional TV but late night specifically. When YouTuber Grace Helbig got a nightly talk show with E! back in 2015, nobody watched it and it was quickly canceled after just eight episodes. Singh’s demographic is also young women, mainly teenagers and women in their early twenties, which is partly the audience that doesn’t even watch late night TV or traditional TV anymore. It’s clear in hiring Singh that NBC is trying to revamp stale, white ideas about what late night TV can be by hiring someone arguably nobody over 25 knows, for a medium that nobody under 25 watches anymore. But will the youths make their way to an ancient TV set to watch Singh? Only time will tell."

ALSO:

Last edited by TMC; 03-16-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
TMC
Forum Celebrity

YouTube is taking over late-night

Nowadays, late-night hosts like Jimmy Fallon, Samantha Bee, Jimmy Kimmel and James Corden design their shows with an eye towards going viral on YouTube. "The new-media takeover of late night is complete," says Bethy Squires. "YouTuber Lilly Singh is taking over Carson Daly’s 1:30 a.m. spot, and Jimmy Fallon is recording entire Tonight Show episodes on a phone. (Specifically a Samsung Galaxy, in stores now!) Ever since the first SNL Digital Short, late night has been getting a second life online. But like some terrible cyberpunk movie, the online second life is becoming more important than the broadcasted first life. Entire chunks of late night are digital-exclusive today, and late-night hosts live and die by their branding and ability to surf internet trends."
Old 05-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Carson Daly says goodbye to Last Call after 18 seasons and 2,000 episodes

Last Call with Carson Daly debuted in 2002 when Daly was 28 and coming off of MTV's Total Request Live. "NBC wisely thought that the kid who was known for wearing black fingernail polish and talking Limp Bizkit every day was perfect late-night host material, and so they gave me a shot," Daly said of Last Call, which he described as his "home and personal playground." Daly added: "I am proud as hell of Last Call. The littlest, scrappiest show on late night, it's been my home and personal playground for almost two decades, and I'm eternally grateful for the opportunities, the friendships and all the lasting memories I've made along the way. YouTube star Lilly Singh will take over Daly's 1:35 a.m. timeslot this fall with A Little Late With Lilly Singh.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #12
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Carson Daly is proud of hosting a late-night show few people watched for 17 years

Daly reflects on his Last Call experience, and says he's glad to have found something else to do after MTV -- especially a late-night show, an arena where big names like Magic Johnson and Chevy Chase have failed. “If you’d told me, ‘We’ll give you a choice: You’re going to have the biggest talk show in the history of mankind and you’ll have it for six years, or you’ll have a show that probably the majority of people aren’t going to know about but we’ll guarantee it will be on for twice as long,’ I would take the latter every time,” he says.