Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-19-2018, 02:54 AM   #1
douglasjc
Forum Regular

Default The Connors will end up like Archie Bunkers Place, FLO

I have no doubt The Connors may last a season or so. It already has the feeling of Archie Bunkers place and FLO. Roseanne was the show I think the actors and actresses know it to be true. Sarah Gilbert will try to make it work but it will be second rate. What I was reading before the tweet issue there had been tension Gilbert and Roseanne on the set. I think Gilbert thought she was boss now one thing Sarah you will NEVER REPEAT NEVER be the heart of that show.
douglasjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

They needed John and Laurie to even try to make this series work. Sarah was a good supporting actress. They could never build a show around Darlene. I expect the ratings to drop over the coming weeks. Expected a big turnout to see how they wrote off Roseanne. Actually thought it would have been bigger than it was.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
TV Guy

“Archie Bunker’s Place” ran for four years and almost 100 episodes, and was a top 20 series for most of its run, which is a success. Certainly not a blockbuster like its parent series, but a success nonetheless.

And it was certainly successful relative to other “sequel” series like “Three’s a Crowd” and “The Golden Palace.”
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
douglasjc
Forum Regular

Archie Bunker's Place was not a success in fact I read Carroll O Connor was not happy with it. Being in the top 20 does not mean it was a success. In fact if you can remember at that time sitcoms were near death. The main sitcoms were left over hits from the 1970s such as Alice One day at a time and Threes company. Those shows were past there prime as well. Another thing Carroll o Connor was the main Star of All in the Family and Archie Bunker's place. They just killed the main character in Roseanne. Roseanne just hit the Archie bunker Place moment
Old 10-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #5
TV Guy

LOL. Being in the top 20 for three seasons is certainly a success. I don’t deny that the show was past its prime creatively, ,but it was still highly rated and profitable. The show ranked 11th during the first season; 13th during the second season, and 12th during the third season. And Carroll O’Connor was not pleased when CBS cancelled it - he was a part owner and benefitted financially from it. The show had a successful run in syndication after its cancellation, too.

What’s going on with Roseanne/The Conners isn’t analogous to AITF/ABP.

Last edited by TV Guy; 10-20-2018 at 11:47 PM.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:38 AM   #6
douglasjc
Forum Regular

LOL You still consider Archie Bunker's place a success. Norman Lear tried to have the project stopped. As for Carroll O connor towards the end of the run I read he was not happy. As I said Archie Bunker Place succeeded because it was in the early 1980s when sitcoms were almost dead. so no it was not a success if we view in competition when Sitcoms were king. Sitcoms were only saved by the infamous Bill Cosby in 1984.

Now as to the Connors All the evidence I read was it was Sarah Gilbert that pushed for the show not Roseanne. Roseanne agreed to to show but the original character and show succeeded because of her not Gilbert. Gilbert wanted to be boss but Roseanne would not have it. Roseanne was the heart of the show that Gilbert tried to steal. Gilbert was snot nosed little brat that thought she could take over the show's success.

This is where the tweet issue comes into play. Roseanne has always be outspoken and political. This time she allowed herself open to a nasty campaign to not only to destroy her reputation but take her from the show. She involved herself in the Netflix issue that lead to conflicts with certain powerful people. I have no doubt Gilbert was happy to see Roseanne removed from that show. She thought she was the show now. Sorry Sarah most of the shows fans know that it was Roseanne not you that made the show. When this show finally collapses so will your career Sarah.