Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

227 links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / 227 Photo Gallery

227 - The Complete First Season

Buy 227 - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > 227

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

FXX Comedy Archer Gets 11th Season; TBS Sets Date for Comedy Game Show with The Good Place Star
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 22, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
'80sSitcoms

Default Tiffany Holloway - She Should Have Stayed

When I watch this great show I always find it so unbelievable they got rid of Tiffany because they presumably couldn't think of what to do with her. It's not like it was a big cast with 10 or 11 characters, or lots of kids. For most of the series there were 7 characters, and 3 "kids"---Brenda, Calvin, and Tiffany.

I think Tiffany adds another dimension to the show when she was a regular, and in her sparse appearances afterward. It gives another side to Brenda seeing her have a best gal pal, and another side to Rose too, as a mother. And the seeds where there of Tiffany's own character; she was very impressionable, easily led astray, and the "kid sister" who needed guidance. They were already writing her with these traits so it boggles me even more as to why they just "gave up" on her and let her go.

Not only did Brenda lose her best friend and another girl to hang out with, but Rose lost her role of displaying motherhood.

I do like how they kept Tiffany "alive" by mentioning her quite often in episodes after she was gone, but they should have kept her around.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Well, it was Marla Gibbs who said that Kia Goodwin and her Family lived in NYC. Kia's mom would fly out to L.A. with Kia with a new baby in tow. Mom was very unhappy with the going back and forth and it was too much for her which is why Kia left. The father had a full time job back in NYC. She appeared in two episodes in season two and one, last episode in season three in early 1988. She was a very good actress and seemed like a little sister for Brenda. I loved the dynamic between them.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
'80sSitcoms

Ah interesting Thomas, I didn't know those details. Yeah, I too liked the dynamic between them, and also, getting to see another side of Rose with her being a mother.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Yeah. To me, there was a little void there. I wish she had remained or at lease made a few appearances over the last two seasons.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
megamanj2004

Nice observation, Thomas! I always wondered why they didn't bother to keep her around for at least another season.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
Well, it was Marla Gibbs who said that Kia Goodwin and her Family lived in NYC. Kia's mom would fly out to L.A. with Kia with a new baby in tow. Mom was very unhappy with the going back and forth and it was too much for her which is why Kia left. The father had a full time job back in NYC. She appeared in two episodes in season two and one, last episode in season three in early 1988. She was a very good actress and seemed like a little sister for Brenda. I loved the dynamic between them.
This happens to many child actors who are not given significant screen time or character development where the parents just say either do something with them or we will move on. I felt 227 had too many main characters. With Mary, Brenda, Calvin, Pearl, Saundra and Lester was more than enough to have a good ensemble. The more characters, the more you have to work them all in. Rose could have made a better recurring character than main one, she added nothing to the show. Keep her as the landlady who was personable and let Tiffany be a neighborhood kid who Brenda saw at school that knew both her and Calvin.
GSU2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Kia's mom would fly out to L.A. with Kia with a new baby in tow. Mom was very unhappy with the going back and forth
That makes you wonder why Kia's parents even let her audition for a TV show in Hollywood in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004
Rose could have made a better recurring character than main one, she added nothing to the show.
She sure added something to the show alright, otherwise she wouldn't be my favorite character. She was a confidante for Mary, like a sister, and a peacekeeper between Mary and Sandra. Sometimes she was also the voice of reason.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
Wawwie

Quote:
Kia Goodwin and her Family lived in NYC. Kia's mom would fly out to L.A. with Kia with a new baby in tow.
The show should have recast for the role of Tiffany.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote