Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

227 links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / 227 Photo Gallery

227 - The Complete First Season

Buy 227 - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > 227

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

View Poll Results: Boned When...
Never Boned 0 0%
Day 1 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Question 227 Boned the Fish When...

http://www.bonethefish.com/viewtopics.php?1548

Quote:
227 is an American situation comedy that originally aired on NBC from September 14, 1985 until May 6, 1990. The series starred Marla Gibbs and was produced by Embassy Television from 1985 until 1988, then ELP Communications produced the series in its final two seasons (1988-1990).

Last edited by TMC; 02-27-2015 at 03:05 AM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
SitcomsOffline
Forum Regular

227 boned the fish when Jackee left and they brought in Stoney Jackson, that landlord and Toukie Smith.
SitcomsOffline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
TMC
Forum Celebrity

https://web.archive.org/web/20070225...ptheshark.com/
[LIST]
Other Thoughts:

Last edited by ThomasE; 03-06-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #4
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitcomsOffline
227 boned the fish when Jackee left and they brought in Stoney Jackson, that landlord and Toukie Smith.
That was the death nail. The introduction of Alexandria in the early half of Season 4 did it for me. You know what happens when children pop up out of nowhere. Shark Bait!!
GSU2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:19 AM   #5
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitcomsOffline
The show already had five cast members and with Sandra gone all they had to do was add in maybe a couple people but FIVE? Then again, I think the producers/writers were trying to find a character that would be the breakout like Sandra was and just lost their minds. With five, they had to have some one from the batch be a breakout. But on the same token, having five characters be introduced all at the same time into the show was an overload.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:17 AM   #6
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004
That was the death nail. The introduction of Alexandria in the early half of Season 4 did it for me. You know what happens when children pop up out of nowhere. Shark Bait!!
Encore Black is currently airing Season 4 w/ Alexandria (Countess Vaughn), and I too wonder if this was the first real sign of trouble (it's basically, the classic "Cousin Oliver" trick) so to speak. Alexandra was one of those know-it-all, adult acting kids we all love to hate (basically, a "Mary Sue")! She perhaps, kind of like a female 1980s version of Franklin on My Wife and Kids.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
'80sSitcoms

"Day 1" or "Never"? That's it? What about other options, like Countess Vaughn enters as Alexandria, or Sandra leaves the show, or Marla stops wearing wigs?
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:51 AM   #8
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms
"Day 1" or "Never"? That's it? What about other options, like Countess Vaughn enters as Alexandria, or Sandra leaves the show, or Marla stops wearing wigs?
I think that otherwise, most would agree that Sandra leaving during the final season was the real jump the shark/bone the fish moment. W/ Sandra out the picture, a lot of the sex appeal and dare I say, "flavor" was gone.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #9
funky-rat
Zit Remedy Groupie
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004 View Post
Countess Vaughn had been on Star Search in the kids category (I don't remember much about what the kids were supposed to do - sing?? - I never liked Star Search but my mom watched it religiously), and she would imitate Jackee' when Ed would talk to the kids before the scores came through. I'm sure that got the attention of the producers. Her character on the show just sucked - so bratty. At least they had the smarts to get her character off after a bit.

While this was never one of my favorite shows, it was watchable, and I appreciated the lessons the show tried to impart without being sickeningly family friendly. I never cared for Sondra - I'd have liked her better if Jackee' wasn't so over-the-top. I liked the character of Pearl, but the comedy timing of the actress who played her was often "off", IMO.

For me, the show absolutely jumped when they brought Barry Sobel on (the young teacher Mary gets fired, then re-hired). I first saw him on the old MTV Half Hour Comedy Hour, and found nothing funny about him. That didn't change when he joined 227.

"NO!! Your ages COMBINED would not make you old enough!"
funky-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #10
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky-rat View Post
I liked the character of Pearl, but the comedy timing of the actress who played her was often "off", IMO.
That's funny, because they actually highly praise her timing in one of the DVD bonus features.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
funky-rat
Zit Remedy Groupie
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
That's funny, because they actually highly praise her timing in one of the DVD bonus features.
I just don't see it. I don't mind the character - every apartment building has a busybody older woman in it - and she fits that part well. But her one-liners always seem a bit forced, and her delivery is....flat, often.

Yesterday, there was an ep on about a Santa Claus robber (played by Reginald Vel Johnson) - it was one of the crappy Countess Vaughan episodes. At one point, someone mentions the robber coming back. The line for Pearl is: "For what? The TV!?!". But she says it very flat, and without timing, so it comes out essentially as "For what the TV?". There should be a pause after "For What", and her voice should have gone up and down.

Maybe it was the way they wrote for her.
funky-rat is offline   Reply With Quote