Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #46
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

I like the format change. There is no need for segments on a show without commercials. And I agree with everyone who's mentioned binge-watching. When you sit down and watch 3-4 episodes, it'll feel like you watched a long episode with segments.

Netflix, along with other streaming outlets and cable networks, do long opening credits with theme music whereas the regular broadcast networks have phased those out, so I'm confident the original theme music will return (of course I imagine it will be a newly recorded version).

I would be very surprised if they don't get a host, but at the same time, Robert Stack is irreplaceable. They'll have to have a narrator, but will that person also be a host? BTW, I'm still crossing my fingers for Christopher Walken to host.
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #47
DP1
Forum Regular

I tried to think of old actors for Robert Stack's era but they are almost all sadly gone. Just going to throw an old actor's name out there...Bruce Dern.
DP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #48
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you thought wrong.

Ad-supported broadcast television will not be around in ten years. Streaming is the future. Netflix has over 200 million subscribers worldwide. A new version of Unsolved Mysteries on a broadcast network would be lucky to get 5 million viewers. The only people who still watch broadcast networks religiously are the old farts who watch those insipid CBS procedurals.
Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if you really think that UM doesn't need to be on television, then you're in the minority. And if you think that broadcast networks are only watched by "old farts," then you have been brainwashed into believing it. That being said, I do feel that UM doesn't have a chance of coming back to primetime television. I feel that If it were to come back as a first-run series on television, it would have to be through either syndication or cable (the former of which would be a better option IMHO).

There is no denying that primetime network viewership has been doing downhill in recent years. But cable and streamlining services are not the only reasons for it. Another is that there is so much trash on primetime that is being jammed down our throats.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #49
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if you really think that UM doesn't need to be on television, then you're in the minority.
Is that so?! I'd love to see the stats!!! Care to share?

No use in arguing. Unsolved Mysteries is being rebooted on Netflix where it belongs. So I guess I win.

Just don't make blanket statements as if you speak for everyone.
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #50
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if you really think that UM doesn't need to be on television, then you're in the minority. And if you think that broadcast networks are only watched by "old farts," then you have been brainwashed into believing it. That being said, I do feel that UM doesn't have a chance of coming back to primetime television. I feel that If it were to come back as a first-run series on television, it would have to be through either syndication or cable (the former of which would be a better option IMHO).

There is no denying that primetime network viewership has been doing downhill in recent years. But cable and streamlining services are not the only reasons for it. Another is that there is so much trash on primetime that is being jammed down our throats.
Syndication would be even worse than cable. It's not the juggernaut it was 25 years ago, cable has taken that over. Most of the memable / pop culture moments coming out of TV these days are coming from the Bravos, Es, TLCs, Paramount Networks, etc. Syndication has been mostly relegated to reruns of Network/Cable shows or daytime fare. Crime Watch Daily couldn't make it.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #51
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium View Post
Is that so?! I'd love to see the stats!!! Care to share?

No use in arguing. Unsolved Mysteries is being rebooted on Netflix where it belongs. So I guess I win.

Just don't make blanket statements as if you speak for everyone.

Maybe I exaggerated a bit. But I did so to emphasize that there are in fact still plenty of people who still watch televsion. And if that makes them "old farts" in your prejudiced view, then so be it.

Last edited by Kane; 01-20-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #52
yellowVWchase
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
My guess is we may not see much, if any Lost Love episodes. If they do, I could see them combining those into more of a theme based episode. So while maybe not separate segments like the original series, they might do one episode with 2 or 3 lost loved that share a common theme of sorts. Just a thought though.
This was my thinking. It's not like it's 1989 anymore, where you don't have access to genealogical websites, the internet, and social media, all of which would help you in finding your long-lost cousin who was adopted by a Swiss family in Iowa in 1930. "Lost Loves" would be the easiest to solve, and would probably be solved by the family members themselves with all the tech available at our fingertips today.
yellowVWchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #53
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790 View Post
This right here.

Nothing and no one will ever touch what Robert Stack did. If I go into it expecting to watch a lost episode of the NBC era I'm going to be disappointed.

I would HOPE they learned from the mistakes of the Spike hackery, though on the flip side it's the only version that current average viewers likely know since it's all that gets replayed on TV. (I don't get Lifetime not airing their own version) I'm just going to remain optimistic until I have a reason not to be, and I've already disowned one remake and replayed the OG into the ground I'll do it again if it warrants it.

Netflix has been killing it with the crime docs lately. The Innocent Man, Murder Mountain, Evil Genius, and obviously Making a Murderer, they've all been well produced without a google map in site
I agree, I think the difference now is we will have new episodes and maybe some netflix momentum to look forward to. But the new episodes are what we all have been wanting for a long time.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #54
hostedbyrobertstack
Forum Regular

Actually, I forgot to mention, the good thing about UM being revived by Netflix is that I have actually noticed with most NF original programming that the production value is much higher than most of the "sitcoms" that are on network television. They seem to take pride in many of their shows.
hostedbyrobertstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #55
sffan
Frequent Poster

Thought a reboot would never happen! It's been 8 years since Farina's UM ended and nearly 17 since the OG run ended. I agree with the notion that Netflix viewers have a craving for true crime documentary series, look at Making a Murderer, Murder Mountain, ect... I think this new UM could attract young netflix viewers and could run for awhile, if the quality is there. As for the one segment per episode I have mixed feelings, but if each episode is around 30 minutes I don't see it as being a huge issue as one could watch multiple episodes in one sitting. I do hope they could do some updates from old cases thrown in there such as the EAR/ONS/GSK, but not sure if that would fit in.
sffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #56
Enid Coleslaw
Frequent Poster

Hmm... not sure about this. I'm worried they'll make it like one of those cheap, crappy shows on C&I...

I think a character actor who is known for creepy roles would be a good host, though. Someone like Steve Buscemi, Willem Dafoe, Tom Noonan or Clint Howard.
Enid Coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #57
GDAWG
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffan View Post
Thought a reboot would never happen! It's been 8 years since Farina's UM ended and nearly 17 since the OG run ended. I agree with the notion that Netflix viewers have a craving for true crime documentary series, look at Making a Murderer, Murder Mountain, ect... I think this new UM could attract young netflix viewers and could run for awhile, if the quality is there. As for the one segment per episode I have mixed feelings, but if each episode is around 30 minutes I don't see it as being a huge issue as one could watch multiple episodes in one sitting. I do hope they could do some updates from old cases thrown in there such as the EAR/ONS/GSK, but not sure if that would fit in.
48 Hours and 20/20 did specials on the Golden State Killer, and 48 Hours updated the episode they did on him from a few years before. Crime Watch Daily also had a feature on him, so I don't think we'll see him mentioned in the reboot.

Last edited by GDAWG; 01-20-2019 at 12:40 AM.
GDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #58
drew790
Forum Regular

I'd actually like to see the new series stick to its own cases, rather than updating the originals. They can let Filmrise do that in their streaming episodes (they updated their updates at least once already).

I'm mostly unconcerned about the while '08 fiasco because we know this will be original cases. For the stylistic faults that version had 80% of its problem was that it didn't produce a minute of original content. Flipping from video to 80s film and back again, claiming credit for updates from "a recent broadcast" when everyone in the footage had a damn mullet, etc. It looked a mess.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #59
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDAWG View Post
One case per show is not exciting. It makes them more like Dateline or 48 Hours.
I totally agree, GDAWG. It's as though UM is trying to copy other shows. A recent show emulating an older show is one thing, but it an older show emulating a more recent one is something else entirely. Although it is not yet known as to how long each new episode will actually be (a half-hour, full-hour, etc.), the one-segment-per-episode method will severely undermine the purpose of UM, if not defeat it. The show's segments were very effective in saying a lot in 12 to 15 minutes, especially the missing persons and wanted segments. The show effectively played like a newsmagazine (e.g. 60 Minutes and 20/20) in the sense of featuring 3 or 4 stories per one-hour episode.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #60
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
Although it is not yet known as to how long each new episode will actually be (a half-hour, full-hour, etc.), the one-segment-per-episode method will severely undermine the purpose of UM, if not defeat it. The show's segments were very effective in saying a lot in 12 to 15 minutes, especially the missing persons and wanted segments. The show effectively played like a newsmagazine (e.g. 60 Minutes and 20/20) in the sense of featuring 3 or 4 stories per one-hour episode.
I couldn't agree more, Kane. You hit the nail on the head. If they are truly trying to get back to what made UM great, it needs to be a (small) variety of cases that are 15-20 minutes and creepy AF. The nice thing is that they aren't locked into a 60 minute time frame of cases and ads. On Netflix, if it only goes 50 minutes or goes 1:10, who cares? That will give them a little more leeway but hopefully they still capture the spirit of the classic episodes.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote