Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Barney Miller (Sitcoms Online) / Barney Miller links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Barney Miller Photo Gallery

Barney Miller - The First Season

Buy Barney Miller - The First Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Second Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Third Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Series

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Barney Miller

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Question Women: What about this "guy" show appeals to you?

On the DVD set, the producers/writers who were interviewed and participated in the commentary on the three-part series finale said they couldn't understand why women would want to watch the show. Obviously, I'm a woman and absolutely love this show - and here's why...

The show's humor is right up my alley. It is dry and sarcastic but not mean-spirited, which has to be the toughest balance of all to strike in a sitcom.

Watching this show is like watching a play - 99% of the action takes place in the squad room and Barney's ajoining office. I can't think of any other sitcom that has taken place in such tight confines, let alone doing it as well.

There were terrific characters who had their own quirks and foibles. They showed that cops aren't perfect, but do the best they can despite being at the mercy of budget cuts, layoffs, etc. Barney also showed that a boss can be someone to be admired and who cared, and not an ogre.

Then you had first rate acting, directing, writing, and production values. How many other TV crews were encouraged to keep the set looking like a dump?? All the cigarette butts and other trash on the floor was left to make the 12th look even more like a pit than it already was!!

Last, but certainly not least - and you knew this was coming!!
Attached Images

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
BM_fanforever
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
On the DVD set, the producers/writers who were interviewed and participated in the commentary on the three-part series finale said they couldn't understand why women would want to watch the show. Obviously, I'm a woman and absolutely love this show - and here's why...

The show's humor is right up my alley. It is dry and sarcastic but not mean-spirited, which has to be the toughest balance of all to strike in a sitcom.

Watching this show is like watching a play - 99% of the action takes place in the squad room and Barney's ajoining office. I can't think of any other sitcom that has taken place in such tight confines, let alone doing it as well.

There were terrific characters who had their own quirks and foibles. They showed that cops aren't perfect, but do the best they can despite being at the mercy of budget cuts, layoffs, etc. Barney also showed that a boss can be someone to be admired and who cared, and not an ogre.

Then you had first rate acting, directing, writing, and production values. How many other TV crews were encouraged to keep the set looking like a dump?? All the cigarette butts and other trash on the floor was left to make the 12th look even more like a pit than it already was!!

Last, but certainly not least - and you knew this was coming!!

You nailed it! I'm not a big fan of watching too much male-female tension -- there are MANY other shows that embody that and do a good to horrible job of it -- depends on so much the writing quality AND the natural chemistry between the actor and actress..... So when I want to watch good plot, topical storylines, interesting characters, it's easier when watching a show generally with an all male cast. For the moment, I don't remember or have a favourite all-female cast show except perhaps HOT in Cleveland (but they, like many 'female' shows tend to spend a lot of time on the women trying to go after men, get validation through men, etc...).

But back to watching an all-male cast... I was an early watcher and predictor of the success of the original Law and Order. I'm a big FAN of the original all-male cast. Complete police procedural... mostly plot-driven, topical (stories grabbed from the headlines!), fantastic writing and ALL about the the investigation, then court... very little personal life (great!) EXCEPT what you learned by carefully listening to the dialogue!
BM_fanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Thumbs up

Thank you for your insights!! I'm also a big L&O fan, especially of those first few seasons where it was all guys (I even have two autographed photos of Michael Moriarty!!).

Welcome to the boards, by the way! Keep the posts coming!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
BM_fanforever
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Thank you for your insights!! I'm also a big L&O fan, especially of those first few seasons where it was all guys (I even have two autographed photos of Michael Moriarty!!).

Welcome to the boards, by the way! Keep the posts coming!

Thanks for the WELCOME! right back at ya! I find it fun now and then to chat about a particularly well done TV show/episode... or even movies I find it soooooo rare these days. Your posts are very insightful. I'm a HUGE fan of Michael Moriarty as the ADA...sure, his idealism was a bit over-the-top, but it was FUN to see this calibre of acting and reacting to his the DA and to his idealistic but also cynical subordinate played brilliantly and stiffly by actor Chris Brooks. There was HUGE chemistry and also comedy between all four main characters from that first season. Anyway, I'll stop and post about L&O in the proper thread... btw- you MUST post on how you got autographed photos of Michael Moriarty!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Nodsmiley

I think you mean Richard Brooks, who played ADA Paul Robinette. Anyway, there were several BM cast members who guested on L&O throughout the years...Abe Vigoda, Steve Landesberg, Barbara Barrie, George Murdock...and both Hal Linden and Linda Lavin were guest stars on L&O: CI (though not in the same episode). I'll PM you about how I got Michael Moriarty's autograph...and thanks so much for your kind words!!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
BM_fanforever
Occasional Poster

Default Searching for good TV shows... :-).

Quote:
I think you mean Richard Brooks, who played ADA Paul Robinette. Anyway, there were several BM cast members who guested on L&O throughout the years...Abe Vigoda, Steve Landesberg, Barbara Barrie, George Murdock...and both Hal Linden and Linda Lavin were guest stars on L&O: CI (though not in the same episode). I'll PM you about how I got Michael Moriarty's autograph...and thanks so much for your kind words!!!!

Yes, it was RICHARD Brooks... loved his stiff, strait-laced character. I think later on when he got replaced by another prosecutor played by Toronto actress Jill Hennessey, I recall they brought the Robinette character back for an episode-- he's gone into private practice to the other side doing defense work and he's much more cynical...

I have to confess that of all the L&O franchise, I liked LEAST the Criminal Intent series -- just couldn't get into all the angst/anxiety. But now that you've mentioned Hal Linden and Linda Lavin, I'll have to try and catch these clips/episodes on the net/youtube!

I was sad that L&O: Los Angeles got axed pretty early. I thought the show had great potential. The vast expanse of LA plus the quirky, crazy LA and environs offered quite the backdrop for stories... whether original or ripped from the headlines
Old 11-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
LeeBlue
Forum Regular

Default Women: What about this "guy" show appeals to you?

The Law & Order CI episode with Hal Linden is called "Suite Sorrow" -- he is, of course, in top form!
Which is one of the reasons I love Barney Miller -- the acting was always so good -- as well as the writing!
Unlike some of today's shows, Barney Miller was just funny..
And that some of the actors were good looking didn't hurt either -- LOL.
LeeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Thumbs up

The Linda Lavin episode is called "Shandeh", and aired in CI's second season. She plays a scary Jewish grandmother.

Thanks for the great comments!! Let's keep 'em coming!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
AB
Supernatural - Dean
Forum Celebrity

What I liked about the show was how different each character was but yet they were able to get along (for the most part) in that small squad room. Also each week you'd be introduced to some new & unusual characters and some of those moments were just priceless like Mr Kopeckne, the man who thought he was a werewolf. This show just had some terrific actors & writers.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Well said!! I agree!!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Biggrin

Old 06-23-2015, 05:36 AM   #12
Ryan Chamberlain
Return Of The Silverburg 2018!
Forum Regular

The fact that it was one of the first "smart" sitcoms.

Also. Cops have always interested me. I kinda would have like to been one. But, not sure if it would work out.

Oh...and the eye candy. Dietrich. Also Harris were kinda hot dudes.

Night Court, The Simpsons, Pre-Cartini General Hospital, Step By Step, Murphy Brown, Three's Company and Perfect Strangers fan forever!

"You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice" -Dana Carvey

You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone. <3

Goodnight, sweet prince. Harry Anderson 1952-2018
Ryan Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #13
LeeBlue
Forum Regular

Barney Miller was a well written and wonderfully acted show.

99% of the episodes took place in the squad room and that was enjoyable.

Watching reruns today on Antenna TV, the show still makes me laugh.
LeeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:36 PM   #14
SueWalsh
Frequent Poster

The humor, the chemistry between the cast, the brilliant acting and writing.

Administrator, Official Larry Wilcox Facebook Fan Page
SueWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #15
funky-rat
Zit Remedy Groupie
Frequent Poster

It was one of my dad's favorite shows (I think he missed his calling and was supposed to be a cop - he loves cop shows), and when I was little, I would watch it with him. I love it's dry and snarky humor - right up my alley. I don't enjoy shows with a lot of sexual tension, or will they/won't they stuff. Meh. I also never cared for shows with a lot of mouthy kids, or sappy/maudlin stuff where life is wrapped up in a bow inside of 30 minutes. Humor with a little bit of realistic drama/darkness is more up my alley. Yemana and Dietrich were always my favorites.

"NO!! Your ages COMBINED would not make you old enough!"
funky-rat is offline   Reply With Quote