Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-17-2000, 02:13 PM   #1
rjrane
Frequent Poster

Post This show was unauthentic.

I may be in a minority,but I didn't like this show that much AT ALL.At first it was kind of funny,but it lost the 50s-spirit quickly.And the thing that ruined the show is-and forgive me for using this 4 letter word:FONZ

A hood was not considered cool those days.A dropout wasn't admired at all.Leather-clad cycle-bums were shunned by the regular crowd and were only respected through fear.I hated this TV hero who gave the impression that it was desirable to be mean and insensitive.He hogged the whole show-and gave false impressions to children.

rjrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 09:39 PM   #2
Lone_Wolfette
Me & Micky
Frequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to Lone_Wolfette Send a message via Yahoo to Lone_Wolfette
Cool

I've seen nearly the entire series & I recall a flashback episode where we saw Fonzie as "the bad guy". He was in a gang, said very little, picked on people & beat them up for stupid reasons (ie: stepping on a gang members foot or reading one of "their" magazines).

But Fonzie is an exception. He became friends with Richie, & even if Fonz wouldn't admit it, Richie rubbed off on him. Fonzie had a tough exterior, but inside he truly was a good & sensitive guy.

One example is when he got to meet his hero, the Lone Ranger & received a silver bullet. He was so happy, he was nearly in shock.

I also recall an episode where Joanie wanted to join a gang, so she joined up with one. Fonzie found out & recruited Richie, Potsie, Ralph & Fonz's friend Carmine Ragusa (from Laverne & Shirley) to help get Joanie away from the gang.

Quite possibly the most touching moment: when Richie was in a motorcycle accident. Fonz didn't want to leave his friend. He stayed in the room & asked God to watch over his friend & help him heal. Fonzie cried, he was truly worried about Richie's well-being.

Also, Happy Days is a sitcom, a comedy. It wasn't meant to be purely authentic, it was supposed to reflect the 50s, not replicate.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I just wanted to express my opinion & what I've gotten from watching the show.

------------------
Fonzie~ Bull makes the world go 'round
Squiggy~ Two's company... three's a felony
Lenny~ Ah, sleep, nature's way of saying... lie down
Micky~ Not bad for a long haired weirdo, huh, America?
Ryan~ Next time I'll actually get a pogo stick
Mike (defending Ryan & his bright orange shirt)~ Don't mess with the Neon Love Chicken!

[This message has been edited by Lone_Wolfette (edited 11-17-2000).]
Lone_Wolfette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2000, 10:57 AM   #3
rjrane
Frequent Poster

Once TPTB at HD realized that little kids idolized Fonzie,they definitely toned him down and almost re-did his character,taking great pains to point out that he was really admirable and noble-and this was another example of the unauthenticty.IT NEVER REALLY RANG TRUE!

In all honesty,I saw this show irregularly- and never saw the examples you mention where his softness was evident.I never fully embraced him as a hero and resented hearing little kids say things like,"sit on it,"or imitate Fonzie's long pronunciation of the first letter of the alphabet.
Old 11-24-2000, 09:59 PM   #4
Brett Ferino
Banned!!

Send a message via ICQ to Brett Ferino
Thumbs up

It was good
Brett Ferino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2000, 11:05 AM   #5
rjrane
Frequent Poster

You're entitled to your opinion,I suppose.
Old 11-25-2000, 11:10 PM   #6
Lone_Wolfette
Me & Micky
Frequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to Lone_Wolfette Send a message via Yahoo to Lone_Wolfette
Question

The main thing I've found about this show, or any show for that matter, is that I don't look for authenticity--in a comedy I look for humor. I just can't see how you can base your opinion on a few episodes. You're completely entitled to it. I mean, personally I'd love to find a hood with a heart since most couldn't care less about what they do to people.

You have your opinion & I have mine, I just can't quite get on the same side as you, sorry.
Lone_Wolfette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2000, 11:35 AM   #7
Pat

Thumbs up

Lone Wolfette's got it - If you wanted to see something true to life, drag your Lazy boy out on your porch and watch the neighbors. The facts don't lie. This show lasted 11 yrs running and the re-runs are still aired. Eveyone is entitled to their opinion, but it is a little ironic that you are posting such a message on such a popular web site.
~ Pat
According to your last post, you have posted 100 times on this site.

[This message has been edited by Pat (edited 11-28-2000).]
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2000, 10:01 PM   #8
The T

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I can see how you would think it was unauthentic but I don't think that is why most people watch it. I think it is more the entertainment, the coolness, the laughs, the problems, the characters. There are NUMEROUS reasons to watch it regardless of it's authenticity.

------------------
See ya~The T
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Jo: I don't think I can get this stuff down. I'll get some beer.

Natalie: How will you get beer?

Jo: I'll get some beer.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2000, 05:12 PM   #9
Richard
Forum Regular

I saw a good many episodes of Happy Days and I fully agree with the assesment that it was unauthentic and lost it's original focus.I thought Fonzie was a bad influence for children.I could not embrace a dropout-hero. (Maybe this shows my age.I was born in 1954 and grew up during a time when leather-jacketed greasers were shunned and looked down upon-except for those too dumb to know better.Hey,maybe Ralph had a realistic additude twoard Fonzie.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote