Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Last Man Standing links at Sitcoms Online / Last Man Standing Photo Gallery

Last Man Standing - The Complete First Season

Buy Last Man Standing - The Complete First Season on DVD
Last Man Standing - The Complete Second Season

Buy Last Man Standing - The Complete Second Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > Last Man Standing

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Question Has any other sitcom had so many recastings?

They recast Kristin after the first season, they recast Mandy just in time for the revival on Fox, and we're on our third Boyd (or fourth if you count the original twins separately).

Contrast it with Murphy Brown, which is back after 20 years with all the original cast intact, except the actors who have passed away (I don't think it would be fair to count the child who played Avery), although one of the original characters (Jim) is just going to return occasionally.

The same with Roseanne, which even managed to bring back BOTH Beckys.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

It's an old timey show, but The Aldrich Family, which ran from 1949-1953 had five Henry Aldriches (the son and main character), three Lois Aldriches (Henry's mom), three Mary Aldriches (Henry's sister), and three Homer Browns (Henry's best friend). Henry's father was the only character that had the same actor throughout all four seasons.

Of course Bewitched had two Darrin Stephens, two Gladys Kravitzes, and two Louise Tates.

Petticoat Junction had two Bobbie Jo's and three Billie Jo's.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
Chocolate Moose

I did not realize that Boyd was someone else! He did seem a lot older!
Old 10-19-2018, 04:14 AM   #4
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
It's an old timey show, but The Aldrich Family, which ran from 1949-1953 had five Henry Aldriches (the son and main character), three Lois Aldriches (Henry's mom), three Mary Aldriches (Henry's sister), and three Homer Browns (Henry's best friend). Henry's father was the only character that had the same actor throughout all four seasons.

Of course Bewitched had two Darrin Stephens, two Gladys Kravitzes, and two Louise Tates.

Petticoat Junction had two Bobbie Jo's and three Billie Jo's.
One of the worst things a sitcom can do is recast a character (particularly, a major character like Darrin Stephens or two of the three Baxter daughters on Last Man Standing) even if their hands were dealt. Simple put, people like to settle into a comfortable sitcom and get more of what they're used to. If we all of a sudden get another actor playing the same character it wouldn't be the same show.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
JO Sweet Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Moose View Post
I did not realize that Boyd was someone else! He did seem a lot older!
In the previous season which of course was two years ago, Boyd turned ten which would put him at twelve now. What I want to know is why Flynn (the previous actor) left.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly
Old 11-18-2018, 02:21 AM   #6
TMC
Forum Celebrity

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Tim Allen clearly sees all his young costars as disposable based on how many recasts have gone on. It makes you wonder if JTT was too popular to be recast on Home Improvement.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:15 AM   #7
JO Sweet Heart

^^^ I don't know about the character of Randy, but in my opinion, this show is not the same without Eve and to have a new girl playing Mandy has only made the show even more different.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
JO Sweet Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #8
Heenan Fan

Also Nick Jonas was the first actor to play Ryan.
Heenan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #9
TMC
Forum Celebrity

https://www.fame10.com/entertainment...lar-tv-series/

Quote:
4. Best/Worst: Several – Last Man Standing
Not many shows have gone through as many recastings as Last Man Standing has. In the early seasons Kristin was played by Alexandra Krosney before she was replaced by Amanda Fuller because of “creative differences” meanwhile her son Boyd was played by two young boys but was recast to Flynn Morrison when they aged-up the character to five years old. While those recastings didn’t startle audiences too much, things were different after the show returned following a brief cancellation and moved networks from NBC to Fox. In the summer of 2018, it was announced that Molly McCook had taken over the role of Mandy Baxter, previously played by Molly Ephraim, while once again Boyd Baxter was also recast. Jet Jurgensmeyer took over the role of Boyd in yet another effort to age-up the character, but it was definitely the recasting of Mandy that angered fans the most. The backlash was so severe that the old Mandy, Molly Ephraim, was forced to delete her entire Twitter account while the new actress, Molly McCook took the backlash in stride, sharing, “I’m not THAT Mandy. I’m THIS Mandy. I get it. I promise to love and respect your favorite show and YOU.”

Old 10-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
DustyTrails
Frequent Poster

I didn't even notice til I read your post, always just figured he had a lot of daughters, like three or four lol
DustyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote