Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #121
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitcomsHeydayfan View Post
That's impossible. On NBC you had to just turn on your TV. Millions don't even have Netflix and even of those who do only a small percentage will watch UM.

There are 120 million U.S. TV households in the U.S. The latest figures on the news said about HALF of homes get Netflix. Out of those that do get Netflix maybe 5% will watch UM?

Remember UM has a cult following on here but almost nobody in the public remembers it anymore. So there is NO way Netflix has the reach NBC had!
Netflix has 140 million subscribers.
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #122
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790 View Post
All of the big hits people are talking about are not coming from network television. It's not 1987 anymore.
Thank you. I find it hysterical when people think broadcast television is still huge. I'm guessing these people are senior citizens who have recently been shown how to use the internet by their grandchildren.

Welcome to 2019, people! Wake up and face reality!
Old 03-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #123
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium View Post
Netflix has 140 million subscribers.
Netflix has 60 million U.S. subscribers so only half as much as TV homes in the USA.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ers-in-the-us/
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #124
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichester Crowe View Post
Youtube. I just like calling it the "forbidden site" as that is what it was referred to as on this forum for many years.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzi...cX9Gw/featured
LOL..I thought you were talking about the Dark web or some illegal site!
Old 03-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #125
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
But you had shows getting a larger slice of the TV audience back then because now you have a zillion more options & distractions.

Not only was there no smartphones, tablets, or streaming in 1987 there wasn't even an internet yet! Quote a lot of people didn't even have a home computer either!
I remember, I was there.

What's your point though? That's the model we're operating in now, the model the new show will debut to. Netflix has 150 million household subscribers worldwide, the show will be debuting worldwide not just on a single broadcast network in a single country. Netflix is more integrated into modern smart televisions than cable or satellite services, to say nothing of the litany of stick/box devices people own for the same purposes.

If broadcast television is the end all and be all why did NBC cancel the show in 97? They didn't have any of the distractions you mention then.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #126
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Netflix has 60 million U.S. subscribers so only half as much as TV homes in the USA.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ers-in-the-us/
I know this may come as a bit of a shock to you, but there are actually hundreds of countries on this planet. It's not just the United States. Mind blowing!!!!!
Old 03-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #127
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Maybe there won't be an official host just a voice over guy or something like that?
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #128
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb4884 View Post
Maybe there won't be an official host just a voice over guy or something like that?
There would have to be an official host. The lack of one would be pointless. Besides, the physical presence of the host is just as essential to UM as the vocal presence. It adds substance to the show. I would think that the producers would want a permanent host, not a hired gun or anything of that nature.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #129
Guardian
Forum Regular

I was not implying that network television is not without its audience, it still has a heavy following. But look at the trends, more and more ambitious series are being produced and are surviving in a streaming only format. It is a much more accurate way for companies to find their demographic as well. They can track what is watched in each household. Not like through Nielsen ratings which is only statistical.

The 148 million subscribers I referred to was world wide. Not just the US.

People do still remember Unsolved Mysteries, and those I have talked to are actually quite excited it is coming back. I’ll admit that currently most are unaware that it is coming back, but once official ads start popping up, believe me, even casual viewers will know it is coming.

I still watch cable tv myself, but less and less as streaming platforms expand. Personally, I think we will see more of a streaming/cable hybrid in years to come. You will likely pay for internet through a cable provider like Comcast. That provider will provide direct access to streaming sites such as Amazon and Netflix as part of the package you purchase through them. That’s my thought on how it will go. But like it or not, cable tv as we know it today will not last more than a few more decades at the most. And that is being optimistic about it.

To each their own of course. I am not trying to attack or insult anyone that watches cable tv, but look at it this way: when was the last time someone turned on an AM radio to listen to a radio drama? Yeah right? While radio dramas are still produced (in much lesser quantities than in the past) those that still exist have adapted to a new platform: the internet. Television will follow in the same manner. I still have a vcr, but rarely use it over my dvd/Blu-ray player and streaming. But even dvd and Blu-ray are starting to wind down. Go to a store and tell me if they have the same amount of physical media they used to carry. Like I said, not to attack anyone, but it is the reality of it. The tech adapts and/or eventually goes away.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #130
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790 View Post
I remember, I was there.

What's your point though? That's the model we're operating in now, the model the new show will debut to. Netflix has 150 million household subscribers worldwide, the show will be debuting worldwide not just on a single broadcast network in a single country. Netflix is more integrated into modern smart televisions than cable or satellite services, to say nothing of the litany of stick/box devices people own for the same purposes.

If broadcast television is the end all and be all why did NBC cancel the show in 97? They didn't have any of the distractions you mention then.
How is a worldwide audience going to help find a missing person or solved an unsolved murder in Kokomo, IN or Sedalia, MO??

UM was always designed for American audiences.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #131
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium View Post
I know this may come as a bit of a shock to you, but there are actually hundreds of countries on this planet. It's not just the United States. Mind blowing!!!!!
See my post directly above.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:14 AM   #132
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Excellent news. I hope Netflix is able to Make UM Great Again. The fact the "Stranger Things" crew is involved is encouraging news.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #133
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

Quote:
How is a worldwide audience going to help find a missing person or solved an unsolved murder in Kokomo, IN or Sedalia, MO??

UM was always designed for American audiences.
While UM was designed for American television, it doesn't preclude international audiences. British nationals watched the program and criminals have been apprehended in nations as far away as India.

The unspoken premise here is that Netflix's True Crime Thriller programming only appeals to American audiences. I'm going to presume that's false.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #134
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichester Crowe View Post

The unspoken premise here is that Netflix's True Crime Thriller programming only appeals to American audiences. I'm going to presume that's false.
THANK YOU! I'm glad you said it. It's hard to keep my cool when dealing with arrogant, delusional Americans who think their country is the centre of the universe.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #135
Guardian
Forum Regular

With more world wide viewers, it opens up the possibility of having Mysteries from other countries as well. There are a lot of weird unsolved cases out there from all over the world. No reason not to include those as well
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote