Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Barney Miller (Sitcoms Online) / Barney Miller links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Barney Miller Photo Gallery

Barney Miller - The First Season

Buy Barney Miller - The First Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Second Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Third Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season

Buy Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season on DVD
Barney Miller - The Complete Series

Buy Barney Miller - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Barney Miller

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-18-2018, 12:25 AM   #16
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
I'm left-handed, and people of that era were mostly not forced to right-hand. (I grew up in the 50s and 60s and was not forced).

I think a lot of left-handed people are more ambidextrous than right-handed people. I played (most) sports with the right hand (as I think many lefties do), and I drink with the right hand. A girl who sat next to me at work used scissors with her right hand.

The forced to right-hand stuff happened in the 30s and 40s and probably before. My mother's best friend was forced to be right-handed.
Michael Lembeck ( Det.Paul Gardeno) is left handed ! When he first comes on board in Barney Miller and is checking in you can clearly see he is signing in on the board with his left hand! Also in One day at a time (as Max) ,he is for sure left handed as we can see in his writing and eating!!

Michael was born in 1948 , wondering if his parents or in school tried to make him right handed ? But than he wasn't in school till the 1950's !

Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:52 AM   #17
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
The forced to right-hand stuff happened in the 30s and 40s and probably before. My mother's best friend was forced to be right-handed.
Yeah, my dad is 77 and he was forced to be right-handed.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #18
polymath784
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair View Post
Thanks for these! I think "Fog" might give the last line to JJ Barry (who usually plays Arthur Duncan), who looks up as the man is playing and asks, "What year is this?" Always cracks me up.
That's right! It was a rather dark episode (the main storyline revolved around a depressed Barney getting turned down for Deputy Inspector for the third time) but that line during that bittersweet final scene was perfect and made me laugh. The show was so good at injecting humour whenever things got too dramatic and/or tense.
polymath784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #19
Alan Brady's Hair

Does anyone know the episode where Harris disappears for several minutes, returns after crazy stuff has happened, and just says, "There is not one tea bag in this entire precinct." I haven't seen it in years, so am assuming it's something that gets cut for syndication?
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #20
polymath784
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair View Post
Does anyone know the episode where Harris disappears for several minutes, returns after crazy stuff has happened, and just says, "There is not one tea bag in this entire precinct." I haven't seen it in years, so am assuming it's something that gets cut for syndication?
It's from "Tontine" (8x08) which I saw just a couple of weeks ago. It's a really good one: a man wants to commit suicide to leave the tontine to other surviving member and his cousin. The cousin almost dies but is saved by a CPR instructor. As the ambulance is wheeling him out of the Squad Room an absent Harris returns and Barney asks him "Where have you been?" and he answers with the afformentioned line.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #21
Alan Brady's Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by polymath784 View Post
It's from "Tontine" (8x08) which I saw just a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks! Here it is on Antenna TV tonight!
Old 10-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #22
KatieAnn
Forum Regular

Something I'm noticing now (watching the first episodes of season 1) that I didn't notice a few months ago when the show first started airing season 1, Wojo is so goofy and annoying and kind of rude, too. He's chewing gum, loudly, all the time and he isn't very nice to Fish or Nick. The character changes somewhere along the line, and I hope it's sooner rather than later, but right now I see him as the weak link in this show, very unappealing. All the other actors are great and I know that eventually Wojo catches up but as of season 1, episode 4, I mostly can NOT stand him.
KatieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:01 PM   #23
polymath784
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieAnn View Post
Something I'm noticing now (watching the first episodes of season 1) that I didn't notice a few months ago when the show first started airing season 1, Wojo is so goofy and annoying and kind of rude, too. He's chewing gum, loudly, all the time and he isn't very nice to Fish or Nick. The character changes somewhere along the line, and I hope it's sooner rather than later, but right now I see him as the weak link in this show, very unappealing. All the other actors are great and I know that eventually Wojo catches up but as of season 1, episode 4, I mostly can NOT stand him.
I agree. I missed the first couple of seasons the first time they aired on TV but now that they started over again, I'm watching with my mom every night and we both agree he's almost unbearable. His goofy laugh, constant gum chewing and macho, chauvanistic attitude is a real turn off. He does slowly become a more well rounded, likeable character though. I think by Season 5 is when we really start to see it. I'm really glad the writers decided to change him.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:55 PM   #24
Alan Brady's Hair

I think that Wojo was supposed to be "the dumb Polack" at first. There was undoubtedly intended at the start of the show to have a strong component of ethnic contrast. That was wiped out very fast, but I guess it was tricky to change Wojo, as he couldn't be turned into a generic wisecracker very easily.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #25
polymath784
Frequent Poster

Nick was never in a scene outside the Squad Room.

Watching "The Courtesans" (1x05) last week, I noticed the laughter from the studio audience was awkward, like they didn't know to laugh after the jokes. Also, the editing in the opening scenes with all the hookers was badly done. I know the network I watch it on splices a bit off to make more room for commercials, so maybe that's why. Does anyone who owns the DVD confirm if this is indeed the network's fault or just a badly edited episode with awkward laughter?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #26
Alan Brady's Hair

It's surprising that Harry the Snitch (Danny Dayton).never showed up again after the early "Esxape Artist" episode. He's just the sort of character who should have been back now and then. Dayton was on tons of shows then, including recurring on the Archie Bunker shows, so maybe he was just too busy?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #27
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Did you notice how HOT and ADORABLE he is???????? For obvious reasons, my favorite Barney Miller episode!!!!!

Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #28
KatieAnn
Forum Regular

I'm really noticing how entertaining Linda Lavin is as Wentworth. I didn't even realize she was on this show and only know her from being on "Alice," a show where she is the least memorable character to me, I'm sorry to say. But on "Barney Miller" she is so great and funny and crazy. I wonder how her character would have evolved if she remained on the show. I'm guessing they would have mellowed the character a bit, as the years went by.
KatieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #29
Alan Brady's Hair

Yes, Wentworth almost seems unhinged at times, which is a good thing for comedy.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #30
polymath784
Frequent Poster

agree with you about Wentworth, KatieAnn. She only appeared in 5 episodes but really left her mark. I liked her spunky, gung ho attitude and how she was able to hold her own with the men. If Linda Lavin hasn't left to star in "Alice", I think she would have continued her role and it would've been interesting to see how her character would develop over time.

I see the name Noam Pitlik a lot and found out he directed half the series' 170 episodes. He directed all 22 episodes in Season 6 and all but 3 episodes in Season 5 (which were directed by Max Gail). Very impressive!