Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Malibu, CA links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Malibu, CA Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Malibu, CA

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Chip 'n' Dale Series Premieres July 28 on Disney+; Cruel Summer Returning for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 21, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-19-2002, 08:09 PM   #1
SBTB Geek
Smooth Moderator
Forum Veteran

Default Last Sitcom To Air on First-Run Syndication

I think Malibu, CA was the last sitcom to air on first- run syndication. After this sitcom I haven't seen any other that is on syndication (first-run)

Many people say that Charles In Charge was the last to do this but it actually was, Malibu, CA

I am not suprised why any network didn't want to pick up this show!
SBTB Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
Mrgman
Forum Regular

It was on the USA Network
Mrgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
factsoflife
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgman
It was on the USA Network
no it was aired in first-run syndication in most of the country. i loved this show.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:45 AM   #4
jimpickens

Must have not been raunchy or raunchy enough for the networks to bother with.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
TMC
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpickens
Must have not been raunchy or raunchy enough for the networks to bother with.
I wonder why it didn't air on NBC like Peter Engel's other shows of that era? Maybe being on first-run syndication, Malibu, CA didn't have to shoehorn some heavy-handed "moral to the story" (due to the then new E/I mandate) like w/ the TNBC shows.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
factsoflife
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I wonder why it didn't air on NBC like Peter Engel's other shows of that era? Maybe being on first-run syndication, Malibu, CA didn't have to shoehorn some heavy-handed "moral to the story" (due to the then new E/I mandate) like w/ the TNBC shows.
I think this was an era that NBC had started to do away with teen sitcoms on Saturday mornings.
factsoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #7
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Fanatic

The First Family and Mr. Box Office are current sitcoms that are in first-run syndication.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:44 AM   #8
TMC
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife View Post
I think this was an era that NBC had started to do away with teen sitcoms on Saturday mornings.
Well, Saved by the Bell: The New Class, Hang Time, and City Guys were still in production at the time that Malibu, CA debuted. City Guys was the last of the Peter Engel produced teen sitcoms to air on NBC, having finished its run in December 2001. Saved by the Bell: The New Class and Hang Time both finished their own respective runs several months following the cancellation of Malibu, CA.

Being in syndication as opposed to a network is always going to be a double-edge sword. On one end, you don't have to worry too much about network meddling or in the case of TNBC, government mandates over your content being "educational". Thus, Malibu, CA didn't have to be beholden having to do a bunch of "very special episodes" if it were on NBC.

On the other end though, there's a lot less stability with being in syndication. You can't really promote a syndicated show outside of the generic "check your local listings", since stations that purchase the show could then theoretically run it at any time that they wish.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:54 PM   #9
factsoflife
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Well, Saved by the Bell: The New Class, Hang Time, and City Guys were still in production at the time that Malibu, CA debuted. City Guys was the last of the Peter Engel produced teen sitcoms to air on NBC, having finished its run in December 2001. Saved by the Bell: The New Class and Hang Time both finished their own respective runs several months following the cancellation of Malibu, CA.

Being in syndication as opposed to a network is always going to be a double-edge sword. On one end, you don't have to worry too much about network meddling or in the case of TNBC, government mandates over your content being "educational". Thus, Malibu, CA didn't have to be beholden having to do a bunch of "very special episodes" if it were on NBC.

On the other end though, there's a lot less stability with being in syndication. You can't really promote a syndicated show outside of the generic "check your local listings", since stations that purchase the show could then theoretically run it at any time that they wish.
Plus by 2001 the first-run syndication market had very much started to dry up as cable became more dominant and the popularity of reality television was starting to eclipse scripted programming.
factsoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:20 AM   #10
TMC
Forum Junkie

Stations that aired Malibu, CA (from what I could find thus far):
City Station
  • Amarillo KCPN 33[4]
  • Atlanta WATL 36[5]
  • Baltimore WBFF 45[6]
  • Boston WLVI 56[7]
  • Charlotte WMYT 55[8]
  • Chicago WGN 9[9]
  • Cleveland WBNX 55[10]
  • Columbus WXTX 54[11]
  • Dallas KDAF 33[12]
  • Greeneville WEMT 39
  • New York WPIX 11[13]
  • Philadelphia WPHL 17
  • Phoenix KSAZ 10[14]
  • Seattle KTWB 22[15]
  • Toledo WMNT 48[16]
  • Valdosta WGVP 44[17]

I'm putting this right here because there's an editor on Wikipedia who keeps removing sections that I made for the stations that aired first-run syndicated sitcoms dating back to the 1980s.