Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #76
zack007attack
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeofShane
I was always confused by the way they staged the reenactment of this. Ms. Frocklage, the diner owner, tells us that Philip pulled out as though he had second thoughts, and let the hitcher in. She then relates her daughter Tina's comment about Frazier regretting this, which implies that he did indeed "let" the hitcher in willingly. But the first time I viewed this segment, I got the strong indication from the reenactment that the hitcher basically forced his way into the moving car. Upon viewing this again the other day, I still feel that that is how it comes across on the screen. I thought maybe UM left it open ended because the details are not known for certain? However, reading through this thread, no one else has brought this up, so I guess I have to accept that my eyes are misleading me!
Maybe the sequence of how the hitchhiker ended up getting into the passenger seat of Phillip's car as shown in the segment is a very rough reenactment. Perhaps Ms. Frocklage was unable to recall exactly how it happened because it happened so quickly and she couldn't quite make it out; but she could tell the man got into the car and knew for sure that Phillip was gonna regret it.
zack007attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #77
wiseguy182

@someofshane: actually, I brought up this very subject on one of the other threads on this case. it's post #19 here:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...ghlight=fraser
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #78
SomeofShane
Occasional Poster

Thanks! Regardless of what actually happened, I'm glad that someone else interpreted the reenactment in the same way I did.
SomeofShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #79
ILikeTurtles
Frequent Poster

Rewatching this case and reading this thread again.

Has anyone ever contacted the authorities about Michael Wayne McGray and how he probably was the killer? Seriously.
ILikeTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #80
saywhat
Frequent Poster

Does anyone know if McGray was in Alaska/Yukon/British Columbia in June 1988?
saywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #81
buckeyeblogger
Frequent Poster

Default Highway of Tears

Has the possibility ever been mentioned that Phillip might have been a victim of the so-called "Highway of Tears"? The murder did occur somewhere around Prince George, BC as I understand. Highway 16 in BC has been the subject of many disappearances since the 1970s.

The majority of the victims have been young women. However, it is not un-reasonable to suspect that perhaps Phillip's disappearance and murder could be linked to others. An earlier poster mentioned Michael Wayne McGray. I would also like to posit Bobby Jack Fowler.

After recently viewing the 48 Hours Documentary about the "Highway of Tears", I was struck by just how many people have vanished in such a relatively small geographic region. Authorities have always suggested that there were multiple perpetrators; focusing on the fact that there are a number of drifters and transients hitchhiking along that stretch of road. Sounds like this case a little?

This is one of those cases that I feel like is solvable with the right media attention. Perhaps it if was framed within the context of being a "Highway of Tears" murder, it might bring new attention to it?
buckeyeblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #82
zack007attack
Forum Regular

I was actually just thinking about the Highway of Tears possibility; I also watched the 48 Hours episode about it. I believe it's possible Phillip could have been another victim of the HoT; but not necessarily connected to any of the other murders/disappearances that have occurred in previous years along that highway. Speaking of which, I also believe the HoT victims were done by numerous perps instead of a single one.

I would say bringing Phillip Fraser into that context would bring new attention to the case. One reason is because the HoT victims only seem to be shown as female; I can't find any male victims being put into the same context. Serial killers usually pick victims of a single gender, maybe that could also be a reason, which produces the theory of the work of a single killer. I can't think of any who deviate from this theory except possibly the Cleveland Torso murder. Any other notable serial killers with this pattern of victim selection?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #83
danmanx
Unknown
Occasional Poster

Confused

I wish there was more information about this case. I'm pretty sure I saw the original airing of this episode and was upset with it back then.

We know literally nothing of this killer except he used Canadian cash and he was overweight.

What about the truck that dropped this guy off at the rest stop/restaurant??

This guy is a complete ghost.

Damnit, I want answers.
danmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #84
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Hopefully whoever did this is in jail (or dead) for an unrelated crime.
hopefully, but I think (if he were in jail) that it would've been found out that he was the guy who killed Fraser or they would at least investigate it. if he's passed on then there's no way of knowing. like I said earlier, my guess is either 1) he's dead.....2) he's living under another name or 3) he may have went back to where he's from and they may not know a thing about what he did.
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #85
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmerica
I think there is a probability that the drifter is Michael Wayne Mcgray
One of my friends who used to post on here frequently believes the same thing. He did a substantial amount of research on it... I think both he and you are on to something.
LooksLikeCRicci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #86
Francium
Frequent Poster

I don't think Fraser's killer is Michael Wayne McGray. McGray's killings are said to have begun in 1985. Fraser's killing happened in 1983. McGray would have been 18 at the time, and eyewitnesses placed him in his early 20s.

EDIT: His friend says the killing happened in '83. Others who've posted say the killing happened in '88.
Francium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #87
zack007attack
Forum Regular

The segment said June 14th, 1988.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #88
Francium
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack007attack
The segment said June 14th, 1988.
I know that, but his friend said this happened in '83. So either he's right, or UM is right. I would place my bets on UM. If this murder happened in '88, then he's a probable suspect. If this murder happened in '83, then he's not a probable suspect.
Francium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #89
egswanso
Forum Regular

I had posted this in the prior thread and it remains valid. The killer's movements are interesting, to say the least:

I did a little research online and the timeline and maps of the area really make me wonder about the killer's comings and goings. Philip left Anchorage on Highway One, crossed the border, and stayed on Highway One through the Yukon until the turn-off for the Cassiar Highway. He obviously had to stop a couple times, at least, for gas, and for some rest.

He arrived at the 40 Mile Flats Cafe, just north of Iskut, BC (MP 188.5) on June 18th. The killer had been dropped off at the same location shortly beforehand. There's essentially only one way into/out of 40 Mile Flats; given that the killer wanted to go south, he almost certainly came from the north; I suspect he had been staying at one of the campgrounds along the highway and hitched a ride to the cafe - I wonder if RCMP canvassed along the Highway? I do find it surprising that no-one else came forward who had given the killer a ride beforehand; he would have had to hitch along the Cassiar and/or Highway One a couple of days, at least; if we presume the Canadian money in his pocket means he was Canadian, you'd suspect he started his journey somewhere in Yukon - not exactly the kind of place a person can disappear (insofar as there just aren't many people there).

Philip and the killer leave 40 mile flats together; the killer is next seen about 8 hours later, 200 miles south on the Cassiar Highway in the vicinity of Derrick Lake; we don't know how long the killer was waiting there, but since it only takes about four hours or so to drive between these two locations, that leaves a significant amount of time unaccounted for. We are told Philip's body was found about 70 miles from the Olson's house - presuming the body was north of the house, the killer dumped it in roughly the same area as Olson found him - the car trouble he had may had to do with him going onto rough roads to dump the body, perhaps.

The killer left the Olsons house in Kitwanga, BC on the morning of the 19th; the car was found burned out in Prince George, BC 12 hours later. Again, we can track the route fairly easily - the killer took the Cassiar Highway to the end of the line, then went east on the Yellowhead Highway to Prince George. Total driving time would be about six hours, so once again, the killer had plenty of time unaccounted for before the discovery.

The trail ends in Prince George. Given that all of Philip's property was taken, it seems inconceivable the killer didn't have further onward transportation - we don't know how much stuff Philip had, of course, but it would seem more then what could be carried - which suggests to me that the killer could have rented a car/had a car waiting for him/stole a car in Prince George.

Prince George is the largest city in Northern BC and a busy transportation hub, well-connected to the rest of Canada and the US.

I don't know the full scope of the RCMP investigation, of course, but it seems that the certain route, the limited population, and the forensic clues (at the Olson's house, if no-where else) should have led to a better idea of where the killer had been and who he might be.

Read more: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...#ixzz2VZrlp4TQ
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #90
DanCart
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Yeah, there was no motive there. The Olsons had done nothing but help him, and of course their willingness to do so is rooted in a level of trust. He had more far more to gain by leaving them unharmed, and he maybe even felt some gratitude towards them. Who knows.
Thats a very interesting point Meg ! A thought that crossed my mind is that when Phillip initially tried to drive away from the guy maybe he took it badly and that set him off in the same way some killers are set off by rejection and then he decided Phillip had to pay for that , I also think that during the drive maybe Phillip gave the guy too many details about himself like money hence the killer targeted him , considering that they were in a fairly remote area he the killer had the motive , means and opportunity , add to that anger from Phillip nearly leaving him ......... just a thought
DanCart is offline   Reply With Quote